Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

The use of ‘per calendar month’ mainly by estate agents. I suspect pretty much everyone would understand what you mean if you just say ‘per month’ and that if it was any other form of month it would be specified. It’s like people quote time as ‘clock hours’. My salary is never quoted as ‘per calendar year’ and my mortgage payments aren’t stated in ‘calendar months’ so why does it always get used in property rental?

Instead of 4 weeks, which would probably be more useful.
    A calendar month can be 28 days or 31, and is more confusing. Possibly the objective.
    But most people would still take a month to be the months as noted on a calendar wouldn’t they? I’d say 4 weekly otherwise.

4 weekly wouldn’t be great for the majority who get paid ‘per calendar month’ as you’d have a pay month where have to pay two months’ rent
  • 4 weeks is only a month 6.25% of the time.

We've had over 2000 years to get used to this.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    52 is an inconvenient number, that is true.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    pblakeney said:

52 is an inconvenient number, that is true.

Very divisible by 13, there is a solution here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    52 weeks = 364 days so not = 1 year. Innit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

The use of ‘per calendar month’ mainly by estate agents. I suspect pretty much everyone would understand what you mean if you just say ‘per month’ and that if it was any other form of month it would be specified. It’s like people quote time as ‘clock hours’. My salary is never quoted as ‘per calendar year’ and my mortgage payments aren’t stated in ‘calendar months’ so why does it always get used in property rental?

Instead of 4 weeks, which would probably be more useful.
    A calendar month can be 28 days or 31, and is more confusing. Possibly the objective.
    But most people would still take a month to be the months as noted on a calendar wouldn’t they? I’d say 4 weekly otherwise.

4 weekly wouldn’t be great for the majority who get paid ‘per calendar month’ as you’d have a pay month where have to pay two months’ rent
    I think it is because a lot of rents are quoted weekly and many people (level 0 players) convert to a monthly rent by multiplying by four. Estate agents (level 1 players) know that this doesn't work and the actual amount people will pay is higher, so they' have introduced a fancy new term to make this clear. Level 2+ players then get annoyed.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    The universe was not developed by a mathematician. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    pblakeney said:

The universe was not developed by a mathematician. 😉

Calendars, however.
  • It's like a deck of cards, man.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited September 2023

orraloon said:

Ok, that went through. Does including 'approval' or 'mod' trigger the algorithm? Let's see.

What on earth were you trying to post?
    Because "copyright Spankbang" in the metadata could trigger something.
    Stone dykès.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Fág packet
  • pinno
    edited September 2023
    Fùck it's late, must get to bed.
  • pinno said:

You've got a funny accent.
  • pinno

pinno said:

You've got a funny accent.
    That's 'cos I've been all over the world - St. Ives, St. Agnes, Bodmin, Truro...
  • Pross
    People who demand a public vote on policies brought in by the elected Government (in this case the guy who has set up a petition against the 20mph law in Wales). If you don't like the decisions of an elected Government don't vote for them, it's pretty simple. Maybe we should all get to vote on whether income tax should be raised etc.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Pross said:

People who demand a public vote on policies brought in by the elected Government (in this case the guy who has set up a petition against the 20mph law in Wales). If you don't like the decisions of an elected Government don't vote for them, it's pretty simple. Maybe we should all get to vote on whether income tax should be raised etc.

Interestingly that petition has broken the record for the most signatures on a petition in Wales.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66853445
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited September 2023
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Interestingly that petition has broken the record for the most signatures on a petition in Wales.
    149,000 people signed yet there are 1.5m cars licensed in Wales.
    So if 1.5m cars re driven by say 1.5m people (I know some will have more than 1 but it can't be many), that's less than 10% of drivers.
  • pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

So if 1.5m cars re driven by say 1.5m people (I know some will have more than 1 but it can't be many), that's less than 10% of drivers.
    Who's to say that all those who have signed it live in Wales? All you need to do is say that you are, and 5,000 so far have said England.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    There was a poster on here way back, in the time when it was CyclingPlus before BR, think he was called safespeed or similar, advocating abolition of national speed limits etc.

Think he died in a vehicle accident. 🤔

Could be mis remembering but...
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

It's still irrelevant. If we had a public vote everytime a Government introduced a policy that some decided they didn't like nothing would get done. You elect a Government, they implement their policies through the framework that is set out and if the policies aren't popular you vote them out next time in favour of someone that will do something different.

FWIW I was actually surprised how well it was being observed yesterday (including one woman who pulled out right in front of me causing me to brake then drove at around 16-17mph on a section of road that is still 30mph and then just over 20 on the 40 section which was a touch annoying!).
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2023
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Given not that many people typically sign petitions even if they are aware of them, thats a lot. Over twice as many as the last record and increasing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

It's still irrelevant. If we had a public vote everytime a Government introduced a policy that some decided they didn't like nothing would get done. You elect a Government, they implement their policies through the framework that is set out and if the policies aren't popular you vote them out next time in favour of someone that will do something different.

FWIW I was actually surprised how well it was being observed yesterday (including one woman who pulled out right in front of me causing me to brake then drove at around 16-17mph on a section of road that is still 30mph and then just over 20 on the 40 section which was a touch annoying!).
    Sadly many of the Welsh will vote for a hat stand if has a red rosette on it. I suppose it's a case of getting the government they deserve...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Pross said:

..... If we had a public vote everytime a Government introduced a policy .......

Then we might as well live in Switzerland.... ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Sadly many of the Welsh will vote for a hat stand if has a red rosette on it. I suppose it's a case of getting the government they deserve...
    It's a minority Government and has always been either minority or coalition since created I believe. The Tories lost a vote last week to ditch the proposal by 15 votes to 38 yet Labour only hold 30 of the 60 seats (the original vote was 45-6 in favour) so this isn't a Labour only policy.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

It's a minority Government and has always been either minority or coalition since created I believe. The Tories lost a vote last week to ditch the proposal by 15 votes to 38 yet Labour only hold 30 of the 60 seats (the original vote was 45-6 in favour) so this isn't a Labour only policy.
    That's you snookered Stevo.
  • Local councils have the power to selectively remove 30 limits, I believe.

Besides didn't this turn out to be one of those policies actually supported by accident statistics?

Some fun arguments against though. Including that it will damage tourism. Or increase pollution (much of which is caused by accelerating, in towns and cities, and so likely would decrease if speeds evened out a bit).
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

That's you snookered Stevo.
    Nope. It's a lot of opposition to a stupid new law. If that petition was UK wide and got the same % of people signing it, that would be around 3 million signatures.

Since when have you been a car hating leftie anyway?
  • Pross

Local councils have the power to selectively remove 30 limits, I believe.

Besides didn't this turn out to be one of those policies actually supported by accident statistics?

Some fun arguments against though. Including that it will damage tourism. Or increase pollution (much of which is caused by accelerating, in towns and cities, and so likely would decrease if speeds evened out a bit).

The main opposition mouthpiece is a Tory MS who effectively inherited their father's seat when he died and comes across at the Truss level of intellect. She's the one who claimed it will be hard to stick to the limit in Wales as it is hard to drive slowly up hills.

I think my favourite is people arguing that no-one will pay it attention and then in the next breath arguing that it will cost lives because emergency vehicles will get slowed down.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Local councils have the power to selectively remove 30 limits, I believe.

The main opposition mouthpiece is a Tory MS who effectively inherited their father's seat when he died and comes across at the Truss level of intellect. She's the one who claimed it will be hard to stick to the limit in Wales as it is hard to drive slowly up hills.

I think my favourite is people arguing that no-one will pay it attention and then in the next breath arguing that it will cost lives because emergency vehicles will get slowed down.
    IIRC something like 85% of drivers ignore the 20mph limit, and I think we can work out why that is. However when they see a blue flashing light approaching, they are likely to slow down to under 20mph...