Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

pblakeney said:

Given that we are discussing Aberdeenshire I'd probably plump for something like the below. Short taxi ride to a major train station and a short drive to Aberdeen.

I'd also enjoy being able to pocket a few hundred £K.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/134714255#/?channel=RES_BUY

Why don't you?

Fwiw last time I was there it wasn't a short drive to Aberdeen. It was a short drive to close to Aberdeen and then a long wait to get there. But Stonehaven is tolerable, I must say.
    The bypass has changed things in a big way. Why don't I? The weather was horrendous in my experience. Every nice day the haar would roll in. Plus, I can save £X00,000 by not moving and have the same countryside.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

It's not quite that cheap 10 miles from the capital, or honestly anywhere you'd want to do anything other than visit. There are parts of the mainland out west that are more isolated than you imagine. So yes land is cheap, but good luck finding a plumber. Or a bank. Or a shop. Or a petrol station.

All that said, it helps having no ambition and tolerating living somewhere else other than Ambitionshire. Means your meagre salary goes a bit further.
    This is about 30 mins drive from Aberdeen airport.
    Would be interested to see the listing actually. We looked at a few places in Scotland, even on the Black Isle, and lowest I got was about 2/3 price of here. Am going to guess the house itself needs more work than is viable for most people who might appear to be able to afford it.

Often the acreage is a red herring. It exists, but there's nothing on it and never could be. Even in Devon a paddock is only about £4k an acre, unless its got development potential (in which case multiple by 10).
    How much do you think a four bed in Fulham is? That might explain the differing views.
    To be fair, this one is genuinely the same price as a 4 bed terrace in Fulham.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133418687?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
    Yes but f*ck me the upkeep will be waaaay more than the 4 bed Terrace in Fulham.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

It's not quite that cheap 10 miles from the capital, or honestly anywhere you'd want to do anything other than visit. There are parts of the mainland out west that are more isolated than you imagine. So yes land is cheap, but good luck finding a plumber. Or a bank. Or a shop. Or a petrol station.

All that said, it helps having no ambition and tolerating living somewhere else other than Ambitionshire. Means your meagre salary goes a bit further.
    This is about 30 mins drive from Aberdeen airport.
    Would be interested to see the listing actually. We looked at a few places in Scotland, even on the Black Isle, and lowest I got was about 2/3 price of here. Am going to guess the house itself needs more work than is viable for most people who might appear to be able to afford it.

Often the acreage is a red herring. It exists, but there's nothing on it and never could be. Even in Devon a paddock is only about £4k an acre, unless its got development potential (in which case multiple by 10).
    How much do you think a four bed in Fulham is? That might explain the differing views.
    To be fair, this one is genuinely the same price as a 4 bed terrace in Fulham.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133418687?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
    Yes but f*ck me the upkeep will be waaaay more than the 4 bed Terrace in Fulham.
    The Scotland one is outside ulez if that helps?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

Just seen the new house on the plot my folks house was on is up for sale, buggermethatsalotofmoney!!!
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/new-homes/details/65548323/?search_identifier=653dfbabf6ab90956d998421d14193bc61f95fe488739d9c451d066a4322bf1d

Farq me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • If it wants to be taken seriously, the technical profession really doesn't help itself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Teachers using uniform to be bullies, shocker.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pinno said:

Just seen the new house on the plot my folks house was on is up for sale, buggermethatsalotofmoney!!!
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/new-homes/details/65548323/?search_identifier=653dfbabf6ab90956d998421d14193bc61f95fe488739d9c451d066a4322bf1d

Farq me.
    Sorry, I don't think you're my type 🤣
  • rick_chasey

pinno said:

Farq me.
    Sorry, I don't think you're my type 🤣
    I await the flurry of “didn’t you know awful London is expensive” posts like I get on the topic 😜😜😜
  • It's an ambitious price, I think.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023

It's an ambitious price, I think.

£10k per square metre - not unusual for the postcode, and it's a pretty immaculate build - lick of paint and some new fixtures and you're good to go.

(Obviously it's a ludicrous price)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

Looks better value than the mid terrace in Fulham to my untrained eye.

My parents had a large piece of land behind the house where I grew up. They sold it to someone in the street who owned an electrical store in the town for a colour TV (talking early 70s here). It was left derelict for years as it was landlocked by some other land but they eventually bought that small patch and a house was built on there that would sell for £800k plus now judging by the price a similar sized place across the street sold for last year (that went for £975k which is staggering). There's a reason my parents are the complete opposite to the multi-millionaire pensioners Rick assumes all Boomers are!
  • It's an ambitious price, I think.

£10k per square metre - not unusual for the postcode, and it's a pretty immaculate build - lick of paint and some new fixtures and you're good to go.

Per sq m it's between around 3-4 times the price of a house round here. Which, we've established, doesn't have things like shops or schools or stuff like that.

Somehow I'd have expected it to be more.

How much should it really be on for?
  • Pross said:

Looks better value than the mid terrace in Fulham to my untrained eye.

Obviously it's all about the location - even a few streets away, it would be very achievable, but seems high for that road.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited September 2023

Sounds reasonable. Will be bog standard developer spec with a few expensive kitchen appliances to lure in the punters.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

Per sq m it's between around 3-4 times the price of a house round here. Which, we've established, doesn't have things like shops or schools or stuff like that.

Somehow I'd have expected it to be more.

How much should it really be on for?
    There's so little available it may well sell for that if the buyer doesn't have any borrowing issues.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Yeah everything on at the moment where we are looking is either "reduced today" or someone has died and left a renovation project. If you can find what you want it's a good time to be a buyer actually.
  • rick_chasey

Yeah everything on at the moment where we are looking is either "reduced today" or someone has died and left a renovation project. If you can find what you want it's a good time to be a buyer actually.

Indeed, I’m even viewing a house in the countryside on Saturday
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Yeah everything on at the moment where we are looking is either "reduced today" or someone has died and left a renovation project. If you can find what you want it's a good time to be a buyer actually.

I can assure you the forum will not agree it's in the countryside.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    pangolin said:

Indeed, unless the neighbours are sheeps.... urban innit.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Gotta be less than 10,000 residents to be country.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Is that per sq m, acre (whatever that is? Where's Grease-Smug when you need (really?) him?), sq km, migrant boat, football pitch, size of Wales....?
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Is that per sq m, acre (whatever that is? Where's Grease-Smug when you need (really?) him?), sq km, migrant boat, football pitch, size of Wales....?
    A settlement/village/town with 10,000+ residents is urban.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Once upon a time, when I lived in a farm cottage overlooking Dartmoor, I was kept awake by the noise of cows enthusiastically grazing grass at the end of the garden. And another time, I was woken up by a Tornado jet apparently using the house as a low-level navigation aid.

It's quieter in town.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

The City of London has a population of less than 10,000.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    edited September 2023
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Night time population. Day time is about 600k. It is very quiet and pleasant on the weekend though.
  • pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

I think you have to overlay that with distance from the nearest City and how big that city is.

Ascot whilst having a population of 5,000 and being in the sticks is not in the countryside.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

And how close is it to the nearest settlement/village/town? 🤣
    To save you using google, here is the definition in full - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/137655/rural-urban-definition-methodology-technical.pdf
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Once upon a time, when I lived in a farm cottage overlooking Dartmoor, I was kept awake by the noise of cows enthusiastically grazing grass at the end of the garden. And another time, I was woken up by a Tornado jet apparently using the house as a low-level navigation aid.

It's quieter in town.

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

It's quieter in town.
    I know a bloke who used to fly fast jets and it is possible.

https://www.targeta.co.uk/wheretogo.htm