Pross Posts: 43,158
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

People who demand a public vote on policies brought in by the elected Government (in this case the guy who has set up a petition against the 20mph law in Wales). If you don't like the decisions of an elected Government don't vote for them, it's pretty simple. Maybe we should all get to vote on whether income tax should be raised etc.

Interestingly that petition has broken the record for the most signatures on a petition in Wales.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66853445
    It's still irrelevant. If we had a public vote everytime a Government introduced a policy that some decided they didn't like nothing would get done. You elect a Government, they implement their policies through the framework that is set out and if the policies aren't popular you vote them out next time in favour of someone that will do something different.

FWIW I was actually surprised how well it was being observed yesterday (including one woman who pulled out right in front of me causing me to brake then drove at around 16-17mph on a section of road that is still 30mph and then just over 20 on the 40 section which was a touch annoying!).
    Sadly many of the Welsh will vote for a hat stand if has a red rosette on it. I suppose it's a case of getting the government they deserve...
    It's a minority Government and has always been either minority or coalition since created I believe. The Tories lost a vote last week to ditch the proposal by 15 votes to 38 yet Labour only hold 30 of the 60 seats (the original vote was 45-6 in favour) so this isn't a Labour only policy.
    That's you snookered Stevo.
    Nope. It's a lot of opposition to a stupid new law. If that petition was UK wide and got the same % of people signing it, that would be around 3 million signatures.

Since when have you been a car hating leftie anyway?
    125,000 people voted for a boat to be called Boaty McBoatface. You don't have to be Welsh / living in Wales to sign the petition as far as I can tell so there are plenty of people who are not affected signing it as the media are publicising it. It affects me the second I leave my drive but I genuinely couldn't care less. I actually enjoy driving but not in the sort of area this applies.
  • Pross
    FWIW the petition telling Boris not to prorogue Parliament got 1.3 million signatures and wasn't successful and the petition to set higher margins for a decision on the Brexit vote (originally set up by a Leave voter) got over 4 million and was ignored.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

FWIW the petition telling Boris not to prorogue Parliament got 1.3 million signatures and wasn't successful and the petition to set higher margins for a decision on the Brexit vote (originally set up by a Leave voter) got over 4 million and was ignored.

Precisely. They are a complete waste of time.
    Ignore and move on. That is government policy anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Local councils have the power to selectively remove 30 limits, I believe.

Besides didn't this turn out to be one of those policies actually supported by accident statistics?

Some fun arguments against though. Including that it will damage tourism. Or increase pollution (much of which is caused by accelerating, in towns and cities, and so likely would decrease if speeds evened out a bit).

The main opposition mouthpiece is a Tory MS who effectively inherited their father's seat when he died and comes across at the Truss level of intellect. She's the one who claimed it will be hard to stick to the limit in Wales as it is hard to drive slowly up hills.

I think my favourite is people arguing that no-one will pay it attention and then in the next breath arguing that it will cost lives because emergency vehicles will get slowed down.
    IIRC something like 85% of drivers ignore the 20mph limit, and I think we can work out why that is. However when they see a blue flashing light approaching, they are likely to slow down to under 20mph...
    Slowing down is what they want... the emergency services want to overtake people not drive along at 30
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Online petitions 🤣
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    175,000 and counting. Must be something epically shyte if that many people are objecting.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Oops wrong. Over 190,000 now :) This must be trivially annoying for car hating lefties.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Local councils have the power to selectively remove 30 limits, I believe.

Besides didn't this turn out to be one of those policies actually supported by accident statistics?

Some fun arguments against though. Including that it will damage tourism. Or increase pollution (much of which is caused by accelerating, in towns and cities, and so likely would decrease if speeds evened out a bit).

The main opposition mouthpiece is a Tory MS who effectively inherited their father's seat when he died and comes across at the Truss level of intellect. She's the one who claimed it will be hard to stick to the limit in Wales as it is hard to drive slowly up hills.

I think my favourite is people arguing that no-one will pay it attention and then in the next breath arguing that it will cost lives because emergency vehicles will get slowed down.
    IIRC something like 85% of drivers ignore the 20mph limit, and I think we can work out why that is. However when they see a blue flashing light approaching, they are likely to slow down to under 20mph...
    Great argument for more enforcement
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

175,000 and counting. Must be something epically shyte if that many people are objecting.

So like Boris proroguing Parliament?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

6 million signed a petition to cancel Brexit, ergo it must have been something epically shyte.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/31/article-50-petition-to-cancel-brexit-passes-6m-signatures
  • Stevo_666 said:

6 million signed a petition signed a petition to cancel Brexit, ergo it must have been something epically shyte.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/31/article-50-petition-to-cancel-brexit-passes-6m-signatures
    We can stop the forum now.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

🤣

Best go and round up some more votes then. Just your sort of thing!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

6 million signed a petition signed a petition to cancel Brexit, ergo it must have been something epically shyte.

We can stop the forum now.

Would have been better without the echo you quoted.

Anyway, there's 6 million who might be thinking "We did try to tell you", in light of what has come to pass. Maybe "epically shyte" should become the favoured assessment catchphrase for Brexit. Somehow, I don't think that the "It's too early to tell" assessment is entirely credible now. But we can certainly use it on the 20mph speed limit default for urban Wales, I'd have thought, given it's happened. Maybe some people need to 'get over it', and stop trying to overturn the democratic mandate.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Yesterday I got shouted at by some builders on scaffolding “oi mate it’s a 20 mph limit”.
    I’m sure it was in jest, but I was travelling too fast on my bicycle to find out.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

No idea what you're on about there.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

6 million signed a petition to cancel Brexit, ergo it must have been something epically shyte.

Keep up at the back, the brexit petition was back in 2016 and got a lot more signatories than that.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

🤣

?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

🤣

?
    You just need a few different email addresses. You can also have fun selecting any country in the world for the 'where do you live?' question. You clearly feel strongly about it so vote early, vote often!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Around 1.5 million signed a petition demanding he change his mind (he didn’t).

The point is it is easy to sign a petition in this digital age. As I said before 125,000 people voted for a (not very good) joke name for a boat so it is hardly a sign anyone feels strongly about a subject.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Keep up at the back, the brexit petition was back in 2016 and got a lot more signatories than that.

At this point, I've no idea if you believe in democracy, or petitions, or anything at all, other than cars and Tories.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

• Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Around 1.5 million signed a petition demanding he change his mind (he didn’t).

The point is it is easy to sign a petition in this digital age. As I said before 125,000 people voted for a (not very good) joke name for a boat so it is hardly a sign anyone feels strongly about a subject.
    No smoke without fire...

I see Drakeford has had to come out and defend the decision.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At this point, I've no idea if you believe in democracy, or petitions, or anything at all, other than cars and Tories.
    I know you don'tbelieve in democracy since you have never respected the result of the referendum.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

🤣

?
    You just need a few different email addresses. You can also have fun selecting any country in the world for the 'where do you live?' question. You clearly feel strongly about it so vote early, vote often!
    I've already added to the Welsh petition. Feels like a very minor version of joining Labour to vote in Jezza :smile:
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I know you don'tbelieve in democracy since you have never respected the result of the referendum.

By that comment I know you don't understand what democracy is.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

People who demand a public vote on policies brought in by the elected Government (in this case the guy who has set up a petition against the 20mph law in Wales). If you don't like the decisions of an elected Government don't vote for them, it's pretty simple. Maybe we should all get to vote on whether income tax should be raised etc.

Interestingly that petition has broken the record for the most signatures on a petition in Wales.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66853445
    It's still irrelevant. If we had a public vote everytime a Government introduced a policy that some decided they didn't like nothing would get done. You elect a Government, they implement their policies through the framework that is set out and if the policies aren't popular you vote them out next time in favour of someone that will do something different.

FWIW I was actually surprised how well it was being observed yesterday (including one woman who pulled out right in front of me causing me to brake then drove at around 16-17mph on a section of road that is still 30mph and then just over 20 on the 40 section which was a touch annoying!).
    Sadly many of the Welsh will vote for a hat stand if has a red rosette on it. I suppose it's a case of getting the government they deserve...
    It's a minority Government and has always been either minority or coalition since created I believe. The Tories lost a vote last week to ditch the proposal by 15 votes to 38 yet Labour only hold 30 of the 60 seats (the original vote was 45-6 in favour) so this isn't a Labour only policy.
    That's you snookered Stevo.
    Nope. It's a lot of opposition to a stupid new law. If that petition was UK wide and got the same % of people signing it, that would be around 3 million signatures.

Since when have you been a car hating leftie anyway?
    How did you jump from me looking at the figures realistically to 'car hating leftie'?
    It was just an observation.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

🤣

?
    I've already added to the Welsh petition. Feels like a very minor version of joining Labour to vote in Jezza :smile:
    If it's a petition for anyone, then out of 7 billion it's not really that many.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

By that comment I know you don't understand what democracy is.
    You'll have to explain that.