Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    240,000 and rising. By tomorrow it should be more than 10% of the entire Welsh population :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    It could be 150% of the Welsh population. Still won't make a difference.
    The correct way to deal with this is at the ballot box, that's the government way.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Here's the link. Press the refresh button and watch the number change by quite a lot :)
    https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/245548
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

It could be 150% of the Welsh population. Still won't make a difference.
    The correct way to deal with this is at the ballot box, that's the government way.

So what's the point of all the whining on the Tory party thread? If we follow your logic, most Cake Stop regulars should just STFU and vote in the next GE ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

175,000 and counting. Must be something epically shyte if that many people are objecting.

🤣

Best go and round up some more votes then. Just your sort of thing!
    ?
    You just need a few different email addresses. You can also have fun selecting any country in the world for the 'where do you live?' question. You clearly feel strongly about it so vote early, vote often!
    I've already added to the Welsh petition. Feels like a very minor version of joining Labour to vote in Jezza :smile:
    Thus disproving your previous claims that it’s a big deal for someone to sign an online petition given that you very rarely use the roads in question but decided to sign (and how petty / trolling you are).

It’s a bit pointless as one thing Drakeford is good at is sticking to his policies rather than doing a u-turn at the slightest sign they aren’t populist. It’s something I admire him for even though I often disagree with the policies. If this was a Tory policy from the Westminster Government then no doubt they’d be u-turning now and trying to explain how it had all been a Labour led thing that they were rectifying.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

175,000 and counting. Must be something epically shyte if that many people are objecting.

6 million signed a petition to cancel Brexit, ergo it must have been something epically shyte.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/31/article-50-petition-to-cancel-brexit-passes-6m-signatures
    Keep up at the back, the brexit petition was back in 2016 and got a lot more signatories than that.

At this point, I've no idea if you believe in democracy, or petitions, or anything at all, other than cars and Tories.
    I know you don'tbelieve in democracy since you have never respected the result of the referendum.

By that comment I know you don't understand what democracy is.
    You'll have to explain that.

Perhaps you could have worked out for yourself that arguing against things you disagree with is a vital part of democracy, whether that's decisions taken by a government with a majority of 80 seats, or one about speed limits by another democratically elected government.

Disagreeing strongly with the actions of a government is a vital part of democracy, because it tests the views and actions taken by our elected representatives. Saying relentlessly that I think that Brexit was utterly idiotic is nothing to do with not believing in democracy: if I didn't believe in democracy, I'd not be arguing that we should vote for people who will reverse the damage that Brexit is doing to the UK.

If I didn't believe in democracy, I'd be arguing for stuff like, oh, I dunno, proroguing parliament and lying about the reason.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

🤣

?
    You just need a few different email addresses. You can also have fun selecting any country in the world for the 'where do you live?' question. You clearly feel strongly about it so vote early, vote often!
    I've already added to the Welsh petition. Feels like a very minor version of joining Labour to vote in Jezza :smile:
    Thus disproving your previous claims that it’s a big deal for someone to sign an online petition given that you very rarely use the roads in question but decided to sign (and how petty / trolling you are).

It’s a bit pointless as one thing Drakeford is good at is sticking to his policies rather than doing a u-turn at the slightest sign they aren’t populist. It’s something I admire him for even though I often disagree with the policies. If this was a Tory policy from the Westminster Government then no doubt they’d be u-turning now and trying to explain how it had all been a Labour led thing that they were rectifying.
    Dont recall claiming that - feel free to quote the post where I said it.

Drakeford is a classic leftie who thinks he knows better. You're very welcome to him.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

People who demand a public vote on policies brought in by the elected Government (in this case the guy who has set up a petition against the 20mph law in Wales). If you don't like the decisions of an elected Government don't vote for them, it's pretty simple. Maybe we should all get to vote on whether income tax should be raised etc.

Interestingly that petition has broken the record for the most signatures on a petition in Wales.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66853445
    149,000 people signed yet there are 1.5m cars licensed in Wales.
    So if 1.5m cars re driven by say 1.5m people (I know some will have more than 1 but it can't be many), that's less than 10% of drivers.
    Given not that many people typically sign petitions even if they are aware of them, thats a lot. Over twice as many as the last record and increasing.
    HTH
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

People who demand a public vote on policies brought in by the elected Government (in this case the guy who has set up a petition against the 20mph law in Wales). If you don't like the decisions of an elected Government don't vote for them, it's pretty simple. Maybe we should all get to vote on whether income tax should be raised etc.

Interestingly that petition has broken the record for the most signatures on a petition in Wales.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66853445
    149,000 people signed yet there are 1.5m cars licensed in Wales.
    So if 1.5m cars re driven by say 1.5m people (I know some will have more than 1 but it can't be many), that's less than 10% of drivers.
    Given not that many people typically sign petitions even if they are aware of them, thats a lot. Over twice as many as the last record and increasing.
    HTH
    Still can't see where I said it's a big deal. No wonder I didn't recall saying something that I didn't actually say.

Keep trying, one day you might score some centre leftie smartarse points ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

🤣

?
    All of your email addresses? Surely you need to throw everything at this.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited September 2023
    The Stevo gauge for policy being good is often whether or not it has "got a reaction". You'd think this would be ample evidence it's fantastic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

The Steve gauge for policy being good is often whether or not it has "got a reaction". You'd think this would be ample evidence it's fantastic.

The other gauge of course is whether it is a Tory policy. If so, it is great until a different Tory decides it is no longer great and reverses it at which point the reversal is a fantastic vote winner.
  • But, but it said so in the Telegraph….
  • Stevo_666
    313,000 and counting.

It's clearly annoying a lot of CHLs, but don't shoot the messenger :)
  • Stevo_666
    As mentioned above - Car Hating Lefties. Surprised you don't know ;)
  • I don't think anyone cares about it. Not sure why it's any of your concern how fast people drive in the valleys, but knock yourself out.
  • Stevo_666

I don't think anyone cares about it. Not sure why it's any of your concern how fast people drive in the valleys, but knock yourself out.

As an occasional visitor to Wales, I have a valid interest. In the meantime, the people are speaking - signatories now number 10" of the entire population of Wales so clearly a lot of people do care. Not sure what percentage of Welsh drivers that is, but probably pretty high.
  • Bless.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't think anyone cares about it. Not sure why it's any of your concern how fast people drive in the valleys, but knock yourself out.

As an occasional visitor to Wales, I have a valid interest. In the meantime, the people are speaking - signatories now number 10" of the entire population of Wales so clearly a lot of people do care. Not sure what percentage of Welsh drivers that is, but probably pretty high.
    How many times have you signed? Surely you've press-ganged the family into clicking as well.

Don't forget to select a different country each time you sign. Gotta make it look legit.🙂
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

How many times have you signed? Surely you've press-ganged the family into clicking as well.

Don't forget to select a different country each time you sign. Gotta make it look legit.🙂
    Here's a Wales postcode for you to use to make it look more real. NP19 9AP
  • Pross
    I’m now no longer trivially annoyed by the petition as it cheers me up knowing people are actually wasting time signing it when it will make zero difference. Hopefully they will then go on to get upset that their voice is being ignored.

In the meantime my anecdotal view is that people are observing the limits quite well and that even o the 30mph sections drivers seem to have slowed down. I suspect there’ll be a regression at some point but that the overall speeds will stay lower than before.
  • Stevo_666 said:

I'm an occaional visitor to France too, but think it polite to let them sort out their own speed limits through their democratically elected representatives. I'd think it a bit bizarre to sign a petition about their speed limits.

Still not sure where you stand on petitions, given your dismissal of one with 6m signatories. That was about 10% of the entire population of the UK. Suddenly you seem to think they send a terribly important message.
  • Well Wales introduced the organ donations by default, stopped free carrier bags some other things that escape me at the moment, that were greatly opposed before being adopted everywhere else. So don’t get your hopes up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Is the Welsh 20mph limit throughout the whole of Wales or only in built up areas? The way people are talking it's as if everyone is doing 20mph on deserted country roads, how about the M4 once over the Severn Bridge?
    Storm in a teacup anyone?
  • Is the Welsh 20mph limit throughout the whole of Wales or only in built up areas? The way people are talking it's as if everyone is doing 20mph on deserted country roads, how about the M4 once over the Severn Bridge?
    Storm in a teacup anyone?

Exactly.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

I’m now no longer trivially annoyed by the petition as it cheers me up knowing people are actually wasting time signing it when it will make zero difference. Hopefully they will then go on to get upset that their voice is being ignored.

In the meantime my anecdotal view is that people are observing the limits quite well and that even o the 30mph sections drivers seem to have slowed down. I suspect there’ll be a regression at some point but that the overall speeds will stay lower than before.

Not as much as you'd like to think.

Nor does it improving safety, according to a report by the government.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/wales-speed-limits-new-20mph-reduction-drakeford/#:~:text=The%20Welsh%20government%27s%20own%20advisers,were%20implemented%20across%20the%20country.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I'm an occaional visitor to France too, but think it polite to let them sort out their own speed limits through their democratically elected representatives. I'd think it a bit bizarre to sign a petition about their speed limits.

Still not sure where you stand on petitions, given your dismissal of one with 6m signatories. That was about 10% of the entire population of the UK. Suddenly you seem to think they send a terribly important message.
    If you vote Labour your wish may slowly come true...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Right thread for it tbf.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just the once as a concerned UK citizen :smile: It's a nasty little disease and we don't want it to spread.