Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Why change the speed limit on a Sunday and not pay anyone to uncover any of the new signs ?
    Wtf do they need to paint slow signs before corners on a 20mph road ? Any slower we'll be going backwards.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Oooft! That's not trivial, mine was.
    Raining here now if it's any consolation. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    mully79 said:

Why change the speed limit on a Sunday and not pay anyone to uncover any of the new signs ?
    Wtf do they need to paint slow signs before corners on a 20mph road ? Any slower we'll be going backwards.

As posted elsewhere...

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

True in Exeter, but only because of all the cars, not the speed limits.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Makes you wonder why people are so keen on low speed limits in towns in that case.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mully79
    Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Although that's funny it's so close to being true. Don't fancy being a road cyclist when a bunch of 20 cars cant overtake anymore.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited September 2023
    mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Although that's funny it's so close to being true. Don't fancy being a road cyclist when a bunch of 20 cars cant overtake anymore.
    You must be joking if you think a cyclist going along at 20 in a 20 won't be overtaken by 95% of cars
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    pblakeney said:

A repeat, sorry. Multiple forecasts saying rain starting in an hour. Oh well, no cycling today. 5 dry hours later, rain starting in an hour...🤬🤬🤬

I didn’t bother looking and treated myself to a lie in. The weather gods then punished me for my laziness by starting the rain the second I got to the top of my drive to set out on a 16 mile run.

That brings me to my trivial annoyance. Not the rain as I actually like running in the rain but I got different anti-chafing stuff and this was my first wet run using it. I hadn’t realised how ineffective it had been until I jumped in the bath!
  • mully79
    edited September 2023
    pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

You must be joking if you think a cyclist going along at 20 in a 20 won't be overtaken by 95% of cars
    From this morning's chaos I'd say the 5% will be blocking the road
  • pangolin
    mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Blocking in this context meaning travelling at the speed limit?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Happens to me on a regular basis.
    They will even go the wrong side of an island to complete the manoeuvre.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

That brings me to my trivial annoyance. Not the rain as I actually like running in the rain but I got different anti-chafing stuff and this was my first wet run using it. I hadn’t realised how ineffective it had been until I jumped in the bath!

😱🤬😱
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Makes you wonder why people are so keen on low speed limits in towns in that case.

Would you like @Pross to repost the data on the severity of injuries to pedestrians in collisions?
  • pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

It is a damn sight better than it used to be round here now there's 20mph everywhere.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

😱🤬😱
    I look like a 13 year old that’s just discovered certain internet sites!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    edited September 2023
    Meh, with the evolution of automous vehicles there will eventually be minimal road fatalities.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Would you like @Pross to repost the data on the severity of injuries to pedestrians in collisions?
    How is that relevant in the situation you outline? - where cars can't get to 20mph because of heavy traffic.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

How is that relevant in the situation you outline? - where cars can't get to 20mph because of heavy traffic.

Because you asked why people might be in favour of 20mph limits. You know, for when there aren't traffic jams in towns. It would be a bit silly relying on traffic jams to encourage people to drive at a safe speed.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Trying to respond in the Caption Comp thread and my posts getting blocked. (Quite how my post won? 😳). Try to post here and see if this gets held as well.
  • mully79
    pangolin said:

mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Blocking in a sense that some drivers wont pass the 19mph cyclist in a perfectly safe place because there isn’t a 500m straight in which to pass at 20mph.
    They’d rather wait till the bend on the hill when the cyclist slows so they don’t break the speed limit.

Even more annoying is that some drivers local to me are now driving at 20mph in the national speed limit zones.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Ok, that went through. Does including 'approval' or 'mod' trigger the algorithm? Let's see.
  • orraloon said:

Ok, that went through. Does including 'approval' or 'mod' trigger the algorithm? Let's see.

What on earth were you trying to post?
  • orraloon said:

What on earth were you trying to post?
    Because "copyright Spankbang" in the metadata could trigger something.
  • pangolin
    mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

pangolin said:

mully79 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Blocking in a sense that some drivers wont pass the 19mph cyclist in a perfectly safe place because there isn’t a 500m straight in which to pass at 20mph.
    They’d rather wait till the bend on the hill when the cyclist slows so they don’t break the speed limit.

Even more annoying is that some drivers local to me are now driving at 20mph in the national speed limit zones.
    So a few cars can only go 19 rather than 20? Sounds like it is working quite well!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

As posted elsewhere...

Because you asked why people might be in favour of 20mph limits. You know, for when there aren't traffic jams in towns. It would be a bit silly relying on traffic jams to encourage people to drive at a safe speed.
    You said that those speeds weren't attainable in Exeter...

Would you like me to repost the safety benefits of pedestrians looking before they cross the road and only crossing if they're sure it's safe? And for drivers to pay attention and anticipate more?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Wife is pregnant so needs a covid jab according to the midwife.

Midwife tells wife to call the doctor to arrange. Dr receptionist declares it’s nothing to do with them and my wife should “google” how to find out how to get one.

Also, since when did the obstetricians only see patients during school pick up or drop off hours? Not as in, that’s all that’s available, but as in, they’re the only hours they do?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Wife is pregnant so needs a covid jab according to the midwife.

Midwife tells wife to call the doctor to arrange. Dr receptionist declares it’s nothing to do with them and my wife should “google” how to find out how to get one.

Also, since when did the obstetricians only see patients during school pick up or drop off hours? Not as in, that’s all that’s available, but as in, they’re the only hours they do?

It’s rather bizarre that these things only seem to happen to you and your family Rick.
  • Pross
    The use of ‘per calendar month’ mainly by estate agents. I suspect pretty much everyone would understand what you mean if you just say ‘per month’ and that if it was any other form of month it would be specified. It’s like people quote time as ‘clock hours’. My salary is never quoted as ‘per calendar year’ and my mortgage payments aren’t stated in ‘calendar months’ so why does it always get used in property rental?
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

The use of ‘per calendar month’ mainly by estate agents. I suspect pretty much everyone would understand what you mean if you just say ‘per month’ and that if it was any other form of month it would be specified. It’s like people quote time as ‘clock hours’. My salary is never quoted as ‘per calendar year’ and my mortgage payments aren’t stated in ‘calendar months’ so why does it always get used in property rental?

Instead of 4 weeks, which would probably be more useful.
    A calendar month can be 28 days or 31, and is more confusing. Possibly the objective.
    Veronese68 wrote: