Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

Yeah everything on at the moment where we are looking is either "reduced today" or someone has died and left a renovation project. If you can find what you want it's a good time to be a buyer actually.

Sounds familiar. Most of the places I’ve seen that look promising from the external photos have obviously been recently vacated by the owner moving to a care home or a graveyard. They may be sound but haven’t been decorated since the 70s other than installing walk in baths, grab handles in the showers or stair lifts. By time the kitchen and bathroom have been sorted out it’s probably another £20k plus and loads of work stripping wallpaper, probably getting walls skimmed. I just want something I can move into and give a coat of paint maybe.
  • £20k and the rest. The whole reason we are moving is because renovation and building costs basically doubled in 2-3 years.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

£20k and the rest. The whole reason we are moving is because renovation and building costs basically doubled in 2-3 years.

Stick a zero on that for a full refurb.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Yeah everything on at the moment where we are looking is either "reduced today" or someone has died and left a renovation project. If you can find what you want it's a good time to be a buyer actually.

Indeed, I’m even viewing a house in the countryside on Saturday
    I can assure you the forum will not agree it's in the countryside.
    Indeed, unless the neighbours are sheeps.... urban innit.

Once upon a time, when I lived in a farm cottage overlooking Dartmoor, I was kept awake by the noise of cows enthusiastically grazing grass at the end of the garden. And another time, I was woken up by a Tornado jet apparently using the house as a low-level navigation aid.

It's quieter in town.

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Once upon a time, when I lived in a farm cottage overlooking Dartmoor, I was kept awake by the noise of cows enthusiastically grazing grass at the end of the garden. And another time, I was woken up by a Tornado jet apparently using the house as a low-level navigation aid.

It's quieter in town.
    I know a bloke who used to fly fast jets and it is possible.

https://www.targeta.co.uk/wheretogo.htm

I nearly cr@pped myself... a couple of tenths of a second of pre-whoosh then bang! Another time when I was in the garden, I saw it coming (they used to do low-level contour hugging), and it turned at the bottom of the garden close enough that I could see all the detail under the wings. Their skill is extraordinary.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Can the gov't do anything about scam calls?

I'm getting 5 or 6 a day now.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

You probably don't want to hear that I've never had one...
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    edited September 2023

You probably don't want to hear that I've never had one...
    No landline, or a call blocker?
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023

Shouldn't BT be filtering them out? It is a bloody outrage and the fact vulnerable people are getting scammed by people with no morals. With the COVID period it went to no "Microsoft" calls.
  • rick_chasey
    Mobile.
  • If they catch the fookers they should lock them in a room with EastEnders running 24/7 that'll teach 'em.
  • Pross

I don't see how they can realistically. Is your mobile number out in the public domain for work purposes? I get them occasionally but as I keep my work and personal phones separate I just ignore any numbers I don't know then look it up to see if it is listed as a spam / scam number before blocking. I suspect not answering helps ensure you don't get added to a wider list.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, I'm no millennial like that. Always pick up the phone; I have a lot of unknown numbers calling me both for work but also general life admin.
  • Can the gov't do anything about scam calls?

Shouldn't BT be filtering them out? It is a bloody outrage and the fact vulnerable people are getting scammed by people with no morals. With the COVID period it went to no "Microsoft" calls.
    RC is vulnerable?
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

I don't see how they can realistically. Is your mobile number out in the public domain for work purposes? I get them occasionally but as I keep my work and personal phones separate I just ignore any numbers I don't know then look it up to see if it is listed as a spam / scam number before blocking. I suspect not answering helps ensure you don't get added to a wider list.
    They can block systematic external numbers can't they? They can trace calls.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

I keep getting Chinese scam calls. It started about an hour after I got a new phone, new SIM and thus a new number. I usually don't answer calls I don't recognise and let the voice mail field them. Usually scammers don't leave messages but these Chinese ones do. I listen to the recording with no idea what they want from me before deleting it.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Yeah, I'm no millennial like that.

How do you manage to make everything generational?
  • rick_chasey

I should use emojis more to make out I'm not being entirely serious.
  • Yeah, I'm no millennial like that.

I'm told the use of emojis varies a lot with age.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Don’t emoji’s require one to have a sense of humour.😂😅🥲🤣🥹
  • rick_chasey
    BBC news “dogs will be destroyed” - you mean killed?
  • Pross

That has been used for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure why it is thought more suitable than killed or put down but it isn’t new.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Pross said:

That has been used for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure why it is thought more suitable than killed or put down but it isn’t new.
    Yes, the legal term is a destruction order.

• rick_chasey
    Doublespeak if I ever heard it.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    “Killed” doesn’t include disposing of the body.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

It's quieter in town.
    You are correct. Between farm traffic, the constant flow of milk tankers, local residents and bloody tourists, this place is much noisier than our previous cul-de-sac residence doon the toon.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

pangolin said:

Gotta be less than 10,000 residents to be country.
    I think you have to overlay that with distance from the nearest City and how big that city is.

Ascot whilst having a population of 5,000 and being in the sticks is not in the countryside.
    Surrey Commuter would disagree.

Hang on...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    edited September 2023
    A repeat, sorry. Multiple forecasts saying rain starting in an hour. Oh well, no cycling today. 5 dry hours later, rain starting in an hour...🤬🤬🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

A repeat, sorry. Multiple forecasts saying rain starting in an hour. Oh well, no cycling today. 5 dry hours later, rain starting in an hour...🤬🤬🤬

Greetings from a very drenched Devon.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

pblakeney said:

It's heading north. Just not as fast as expected.
    I suppose hanging over Devon longer would be annoying too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It's heading north. Just not as fast as expected.
    I suppose hanging over Devon longer would be annoying too.
    It's actually heavy enough (properly torrential just at this moment) to be quite entertaining, with a river running down my tiny street... there's going to be some flash flooding in places, for sure.