Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think anyone cares about it. Not sure why it's any of your concern how fast people drive in the valleys, but knock yourself out.

As an occasional visitor to Wales, I have a valid interest. In the meantime, the people are speaking - signatories now number 10" of the entire population of Wales so clearly a lot of people do care. Not sure what percentage of Welsh drivers that is, but probably pretty high.
    How many times have you signed? Surely you've press-ganged the family into clicking as well.

Don't forget to select a different country each time you sign. Gotta make it look legit.🙂
    Just the once as a concerned UK citizen :smile: It's a nasty little disease and we don't want it to spread.
    Fairly sure it has round where you live.

https://www.kent.police.uk/foi-ai/kent-police/Policy/operational-partnerships/traffic-enforcement-policy-r022/

.1 The introduction of 20 mph speed restrictions and zones have become a common feature across both Kent and Medway. The designation of 20mph speed restriction areas/zones have been introduced by local authorities following consultation with elected members, local councillors, residents, and police. As the number of these areas increase it is likely that Kent Police will face increased demands for enforcement action.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    edited September 2023

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think anyone cares about it. Not sure why it's any of your concern how fast people drive in the valleys, but knock yourself out.

As an occasional visitor to Wales, I have a valid interest. In the meantime, the people are speaking - signatories now number 10" of the entire population of Wales so clearly a lot of people do care. Not sure what percentage of Welsh drivers that is, but probably pretty high.
    How many times have you signed? Surely you've press-ganged the family into clicking as well.

Don't forget to select a different country each time you sign. Gotta make it look legit.🙂
    Just the once as a concerned UK citizen :smile: It's a nasty little disease and we don't want it to spread.

https://www.kent.police.uk/foi-ai/kent-police/Policy/operational-partnerships/traffic-enforcement-policy-r022/

.1 The introduction of 20 mph speed restrictions and zones have become a common feature across both Kent and Medway. The designation of 20mph speed restriction areas/zones have been introduced by local authorities following consultation with elected members, local councillors, residents, and police. As the number of these areas increase it is likely that Kent Police will face increased demands for enforcement action.
    Kent is a big place Rick.

There are a few instances where it's OK - such as outside schools or on a busy high street, and even my own village where there is a narrow part of the the high street with a blind bend. What most people object to is the imposition of banket 20mph limits - as can be seen from what is happening in Wales.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm an occaional visitor to France too, but think it polite to let them sort out their own speed limits through their democratically elected representatives. I'd think it a bit bizarre to sign a petition about their speed limits.

Still not sure where you stand on petitions, given your dismissal of one with 6m signatories. That was about 10% of the entire population of the UK. Suddenly you seem to think they send a terribly important message.
    If you vote Labour your wish may slowly come true...

I doubt it'll be Labour in East Devon to get rid of the Tories. That's all I'm interested in. If you really want the Tory Party to rediscover how to be sensible, competent and electable (as I do), you'd want to vote out this utter shambles of what is just the Trolly Party now, in the hope that they take the time to reflect and reform themselves into something serious.
  • If it's a blanket rather than a default, why does schedule 4 of this exist? https://www.swansea.gov.uk/20mphproposedTRO?lang=en
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I’m now no longer trivially annoyed by the petition as it cheers me up knowing people are actually wasting time signing it when it will make zero difference. Hopefully they will then go on to get upset that their voice is being ignored.

In the meantime my anecdotal view is that people are observing the limits quite well and that even o the 30mph sections drivers seem to have slowed down. I suspect there’ll be a regression at some point but that the overall speeds will stay lower than before.

Not as much as you'd like to think.

Nor does it improving safety, according to a report by the government.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/wales-speed-limits-new-20mph-reduction-drakeford/#:~:text=The%20Welsh%20government%27s%20own%20advisers,were%20implemented%20across%20the%20country.
    Too soon to tell, surely?

Or is it spilt milk 🤷🏻‍♂️
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I’m now no longer trivially annoyed by the petition as it cheers me up knowing people are actually wasting time signing it when it will make zero difference. Hopefully they will then go on to get upset that their voice is being ignored.

In the meantime my anecdotal view is that people are observing the limits quite well and that even o the 30mph sections drivers seem to have slowed down. I suspect there’ll be a regression at some point but that the overall speeds will stay lower than before.

Not as much as you'd like to think.

Nor does it improving safety, according to a report by the government.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/wales-speed-limits-new-20mph-reduction-drakeford/#:~:text=The%20Welsh%20government%27s%20own%20advisers,were%20implemented%20across%20the%20country.
    Too soon to tell, surely?

Or is it spilt milk 🤷🏻‍♂️
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0261383#:~:text=Twelve months after a 20mph,) representing a 5.7% change.

Quick scan suggests headline average speed change is misleading, because it has not only shifted the bell curve, but narrowed it - thereby removing a more significant proportion of vehicles travelling at a much higher speed.

There's not very much enforcement in Edinburgh, and 25 mph seems to be where most people end up. But tbh as you trundle along, its not really noticable, because in towns you spend so much time not moving at all.

Has also been rolled out widely in the Scottish Borders, including through many small villages. For the people living on those roads, it much be transformative compared to 40 or 60 mph roads blasting through the village. And if you are driving through, on a longer journey, again having to stick the speed limiter at or below 25 for 2 or 3 minutes makes no difference to overall journey time.

The people most affected by the change are the people who probably wouldn't respect a 40 limit though a village in the first place, people travelling in urban areas at the dead of night (i.e. not many) and people who can't understand that maximum speed attained in a town doesn't correlate to overall journey time.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

There are a few instances where it's OK - such as outside schools or on a busy high street, and even my own village where there is a narrow part of the the high street with a blind bend. What most people object to is the imposition of banket 20mph limits - as can be seen from what is happening in Wales.

Haha, of course your village is special.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

What would the natural speed be round that blind narrow bend on a high street?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited September 2023
    Getting sick of the bombardment of notifications from Google News recently and some of the nonsense stories it was telling me about, so uninstalled it.

Yet Google News appears in the updates available when uninstalled, no other app I've uninstalled does that and I now I have to click "update" for each app except Google News, instead of simply clicking "update all.".

Mildly annoying.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Getting sick of the bombardment of notifications from Google News recently and some of the nonsense stories it was telling me about, so uninstalled it.

Yet Google News appears in the updates available when uninstalled, no other app I've uninstalled does that and I now I have to click "update" for each app except Google News, instead of simply clicking "update all.".

Mildly annoying.

I have this with a wallpaper app that came with the phone. Able to uninstall but not totally remove from my menu
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Now this IS trivially annoying, unlike a lot of the upthread wind up postings.

Sunny and breezy day, no rain forecast, think hmm hang out those towels to air them. Then the rain shower passed through. And I wasn't there to get them in.

See. Trivial. And annoying.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    edited September 2023
    orraloon said:

Now this IS trivially annoying, unlike a lot of the upthread wind up postings.

Sunny and breezy day, no rain forecast, think hmm hang out those towels to air them. Then the rain shower passed through. And I wasn't there to get them in.

Opposite. I brought mine in early due to darkening skies and forecast rain. It stayed dry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Here we are on a cycling forum and 2 blokes are discussing the difficulty in drying towels.🤣😂🤣😂
  • pblakeney
    Drying towels is easy. It's the weather forecasting that is annoying.
    Again, and still trivial.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Not sure how it was on the first weekend, it only came in on Sunday so we haven’t had the first weekend yet. Despite that, I’m not surprise as minorities always tend to make more noise on these things and then we’ve got people who don’t live in, and rarely visit, Wales signing a petition because they think it is giving the Lefties a bashing.
  • Pross said:

Not sure how it was on the first weekend, it only came in on Sunday so we haven’t had the first weekend yet. Despite that, I’m not surprise as minorities always tend to make more noise on these things and then we’ve got people who don’t live in, and rarely visit, Wales signing a petition because they think it is giving the Lefties a bashing.

The bit I was surprsied about was that even Tories were marginally in favour of it.

The the 'weekend' bit... maybe clumsy wording, but 'weekend it started' would be accurate, and so I don't think even the slightly clumsy wording is wrong, per se.

I suspect that when people have got used to it, especially the ones it affects the most (rather than the odd visitor from, say, Kent), the majority of residents won't want to do anything to encourage drivers to go faster through where they live.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Bikes. I'm trying to buy some new handlebars, but as with most things bike related it's never easy. It seems the standard clamp diameter has changed. Fairly sure my bars are the old size. Surprised that the clamp is the old size, but there don't seem to be any spacers. Anyway, it's all annoying.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

Bikes. I'm trying to buy some new handlebars, but as with most things bike related it's never easy. It seems the standard clamp diameter has changed. Fairly sure my bars are the old size. Surprised that the clamp is the old size, but there don't seem to be any spacers. Anyway, it's all annoying.

Disappointed the free market hasn't come up with a standardised version, I feel ya ;-).

• Bikes. I'm trying to buy some new handlebars, but as with most things bike related it's never easy. It seems the standard clamp diameter has changed. Fairly sure my bars are the old size. Surprised that the clamp is the old size, but there don't seem to be any spacers. Anyway, it's all annoying.

The old size was 25.4 mm and the "new" size is 31.8. Don't think a spacer will help!

There was a brief foray to 35 mm, if you have one of those. Because bigger is stiffer is better, particularly if numb hands is your thing.

Overwhelmingly if you are shopping for bars and stems, they will by 31.8.

• Bikes. I'm trying to buy some new handlebars, but as with most things bike related it's never easy. It seems the standard clamp diameter has changed. Fairly sure my bars are the old size. Surprised that the clamp is the old size, but there don't seem to be any spacers. Anyway, it's all annoying.

The old size was 25.4 mm and the "new" size is 31.8. Don't think a spacer will help!

There was a brief foray to 35 mm, if you have one of those. Because bigger is stiffer is better, particularly if numb hands is your thing.

Width is also fun, because 42cm can be 44cm, depending on manufacturer. I mean why wouldn't everyone measure centre to centre?
  • TheBigBean

Yes, so I have discovered, but it looks like I need 25.4mm or a new stem as well. There is an adapter to use with 25.2mm bars on a 31.8mm fitting, but I don't I think used that before. I'm also annoyed with my memory.
  • TheBigBean

Width is also fun, because 42cm can be 44cm, depending on manufacturer. I mean why wouldn't everyone measure centre to centre?
    Yes, I was also annoyed by that
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:
    Yes, I found those. I guess they will be the ones. Some reviews suggest not measured centre to centre. Really hate bikes!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    pblakeney said:
    If only life were so simple. As I discovered when trying to fit handlebars to a nice old quill stem there are 25.4mm (1 inch) and 26mm. Fit the wrong one and your handlebars may slip, luckily I noticed before any mishap. Looking at the SJS website there is also 25.8!!!

Seatposts going up in increments of 0.2mm is just ridiculous. My Chesini frame that got bent had a 27.0mm rather than the more common 27.2mm The frame I bought to replace it has a 26.6mm seatpost.
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:
    If only life were so simple. As I discovered when trying to fit handlebars to a nice old quill stem there are 25.4mm (1 inch) and 26mm. Fit the wrong one and your handlebars may slip, luckily I noticed before any mishap. Looking at the SJS website there is also 25.8!!!

Seatposts going up in increments of 0.2mm is just ridiculous. My Chesini frame that got bent had a 27.0mm rather than the more common 27.2mm The frame I bought to replace it has a 26.6mm seatpost.
    I think I'd refuse to buy a frame that had a seatpost with a weird dimension like that.

I'm also annoyed about mountain bike wheels.

How long does a bike last you lot? I don't ride as much so everything lasts longer, but the bars I want to replace are 20 years old whilst the frame is 10 years old. I only replace stuff when it breaks.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

pblakeney said:

Surely you have some calipers?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Surely you have some calipers?
    I used an adjustable wrench and a tape measure. No expense spared.
  • pblakeney said:

I think I'd refuse to buy a frame that had a seatpost with a weird dimension like that.

I'm also annoyed about mountain bike wheels.

How long does a bike last you lot? I don't ride as much so everything lasts longer, but the bars I want to replace are 20 years old whilst the frame is 10 years old. I only replace stuff when it breaks.
    I'm like you. There's little point in being aero and slow, so happy with non aero old bikes. They also look nicer.