Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    edited September 2023
    Did an organised ride around Wymondham a few years ago with some workmates, and a thunderstorm followed us round for much of it. The roads were soon awash with the pig slurry running off the fields, and so too were my chums. I was feeling relatively smug, having seen the weather forecast and taken the winter bike with full guards. OK, we were all soaked through, but they were also conspicuously brown...

Home being Newmarket, I'm completely at home with horse $h1t. Relatively innocuous stuff, and much sought after by the dog when we had her. I often wonder if the second hand expensive veterinary products she was wolfing down with the horse poo had anything to do with her reaching the grand old age of 16...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

It's not quite that cheap 10 miles from the capital, or honestly anywhere you'd want to do anything other than visit. There are parts of the mainland out west that are more isolated than you imagine. So yes land is cheap, but good luck finding a plumber. Or a bank. Or a shop. Or a petrol station.

All that said, it helps having no ambition and tolerating living somewhere else other than Ambitionshire. Means your meagre salary goes a bit further.
    This is about 30 mins drive from Aberdeen airport.
    Would be interested to see the listing actually. We looked at a few places in Scotland, even on the Black Isle, and lowest I got was about 2/3 price of here. Am going to guess the house itself needs more work than is viable for most people who might appear to be able to afford it.

Often the acreage is a red herring. It exists, but there's nothing on it and never could be. Even in Devon a paddock is only about £4k an acre, unless its got development potential (in which case multiple by 10).
    How much do you think a four bed in Fulham is? That might explain the differing views.
    To be fair, this one is genuinely the same price as a 4 bed terrace in Fulham.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133418687?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
    I certainly know where I'd be happier!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

It's not quite that cheap 10 miles from the capital, or honestly anywhere you'd want to do anything other than visit. There are parts of the mainland out west that are more isolated than you imagine. So yes land is cheap, but good luck finding a plumber. Or a bank. Or a shop. Or a petrol station.

All that said, it helps having no ambition and tolerating living somewhere else other than Ambitionshire. Means your meagre salary goes a bit further.
    Would be interested to see the listing actually. We looked at a few places in Scotland, even on the Black Isle, and lowest I got was about 2/3 price of here. Am going to guess the house itself needs more work than is viable for most people who might appear to be able to afford it.

Often the acreage is a red herring. It exists, but there's nothing on it and never could be. Even in Devon a paddock is only about £4k an acre, unless its got development potential (in which case multiple by 10).
    How much do you think a four bed in Fulham is? That might explain the differing views.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133418687?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
    Absolute money pit. Budget £150k/year minimum for repairs and maintenance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

PM'd you
    Wow.
  • Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

Yeah that's lush, but bankruptcy territory. Heating bills alone would be 20k I'd have thought, up there.

FYI, "offers over" in the Scottish market genuinely means that. They are probably looking for £1.5M. Even so.
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Absolute money pit. Budget £150k/year minimum for repairs and maintenance.
    But I'd save that in ULEZ fees :lol:

It feels like it would have enough potential as a business though.
  • rjsterry
    There's a good reason why a lot of big country houses were pulled down.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Yeah that's lush, but bankruptcy territory. Heating bills alone would be 20k I'd have thought, up there.

FYI, "offers over" in the Scottish market genuinely means that. They are probably looking for £1.5M. Even so.
    For context, around here (almost in sight of us) there is a 5 bed with 1 acre (including a long driveway to their real garden, so likely nearer 0.7-0.8 acres) on for offers over £925k. I think it's over priced and should be closer to £850k, but that's still a lot and not that vast a house - taking the garages out around 3500 sq ft I think.

Not wildly different from mid-Devon were we've been looking.

This is what it's up against

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137723060?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137723060?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
    Tbf, I'd be looking for something in-between. Which you'd get for a vast saving.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2023

Told you!

Also - this one is taking the piss given they haven't even done the side return.

EDIT - maybe they can't as it would leave zero outside space.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    This is the other end of 4 bed house in Fulham market. £4.6m. Wonder what that gets in Scotland.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/139788950#/?channel=RES_BUY
  • TheBigBean
    £4m and I don't even get a floor plan! Nonetheless, the house looks a better size.
  • Pross

This is the other end of 4 bed house in Fulham market. £4.6m. Wonder what that gets in Scotland.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/139788950#/?channel=RES_BUY

I don't know about Scotland but it gets you this near me https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132927479#/?channel=RES_BUY

Currently owned by a former estate agent whose business went bankrupt about 15 years ago and has recently been declared bankrupt personally. I heard a rumour recently that Gareth Bale was buying it but I suspect that is all it was. It's on my list to view if I win the Euro Millions but first I have to actually buy a ticket.
  • £4m and I don't even get a floor plan! Nonetheless, the house looks a better size.

Just the 4,000 acres and a hydro electric plant. Probably less easy to look after than a postage stamp of fake lawn.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2023
    Given that we are discussing Aberdeenshire I'd probably plump for something like the below. Short taxi ride to a major train station and a short drive to Aberdeen.

I'd also enjoy being able to pocket a few hundred £K.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/134714255#/?channel=RES_BUY
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

£4m and I don't even get a floor plan! Nonetheless, the house looks a better size.

Just the 4,000 acres and a hydro electric plant. Probably less easy to look after than a postage stamp of fake lawn.
    The house itself is very disappointing.
  • TheBigBean

Yes, that bit has more promise. Woodland is my sort of garden as it doesn't require maintenance. In keeping with the thread, I'm just having a bit of a grumble about estate agent listings - they want £4m and don't tell me the hydro electric income or provide floor plans.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

Yes, that bit has more promise. Woodland is my sort of garden as it doesn't require maintenance. In keeping with the thread, I'm just having a bit of a grumble about estate agent listings - they want £4m and don't tell me the hydro electric income or provide floor plans.
    Don’t want tourists.

If you’re buying a £4m house, would suggest you have enough left over to pay people to look after your garden etc
  • pblakeney said:

Given that we are discussing Aberdeenshire I'd probably plump for something like the below. Short taxi ride to a major train station and a short drive to Aberdeen.

It's got a lovely castle overlooking the sea and good fish and chips. Also just over from the Cairn o'Mount and Fettercairn which are on my bucket list bike rides. Maybe tick them off in October.
  • TheBigBean

Don’t want tourists.

If you’re buying a £4m house, would suggest you have enough left over to pay people to look after your garden etc
    It doesn't really work like that. By way of example, service charges often put people off buying expensive flats. So, if I'm spending £4m and need to pay £100k per year in maintenance, it is definitely a factor.

Also, I don't particularly want to have employees.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

It's got a lovely castle overlooking the sea and good fish and chips. Also just over from the Cairn o'Mount and Fettercairn which are on my bucket list bike rides. Maybe tick them off in October.
    I did them a few years ago while working up there. Quite the slogs.
    They didn't annoy me though. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

Don’t want tourists.

It doesn't really work like that. By way of example, service charges often put people off buying expensive flats. So, if I'm spending £4m and need to pay £100k per year in maintenance, it is definitely a factor.

Each to your own. I love sitting in a nice garden and loathe gardening.

Would love people to come over and garden for me
  • £4m and I don't even get a floor plan! Nonetheless, the house looks a better size.

Don’t want tourists.

If you're buying a £4m house, it's (almost always) going to have upkeep costs regardless - unless it's a generic victorian townhouse but in an extremely expensive location.

No, this is more what it is up against.

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/houses/4-bedrooms/edinburgh/stockbridge/
  • pblakeney said:

Why don't you?

Fwiw last time I was there it wasn't a short drive to Aberdeen. It was a short drive to close to Aberdeen and then a long wait to get there. But Stonehaven is tolerable, I must say.

Depends what you want to give up really, and what you gain in exchange.

Given the choice later in life I'd go second home on the west coast, near Oban or somewhere like that. You can't go outside .ost of the summer because of the midges, so it would *need* to be a second home.
  • rjsterry

Don’t want tourists.

If you're buying a house, it's always going to have upkeep costs regardless
    FTFY
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Don’t want tourists.

If you're buying a house, it's always going to have upkeep costs regardless
    FTFY
    yes but in most cases, the cost of that upkeep scales with value (a £4m flat will have exorbitant service charges). A £200k detatched house will cost relatively little vs a £4m detatched house.

A 4 bed victorian townhouse is probably going to cost broadly the the same to upkeep, regardless of location.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Pross said:

I'd like to get my hands on a paddock around here to use as a dog field and maybe an allotment / somewhere to chill in summer but nothing comes up. Any land that does come up seems to be badged as having development potential even when it's obvious it would never get planning. I've seen a few woodlands I'd be interested in but they tend to be too large and / or too far from the house to make them usable.

On the dog field point, not a bad idea but too big and dog escape proofing can be a bit of a cost and effort unless it comes already fenced. From experience of having one dog who thinks he's an extra in 'The Great Escape'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]