Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• You literally don't know what it's like growing up in the countryside if you think a wheat field on the edge of a city constitutes countryside

Don’t think Girton and mates in Cottenham is rural enough?
    Not really. Girton is basically a suburb of Cambridge and is surrounded on 2 sides by A roads that you can hear from your garden (we nearly bought a house there). Cottenham , maybe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

You literally don't know what it's like growing up in the countryside if you think a wheat field on the edge of a city constitutes countryside

Don’t think Girton and mates in Cottenham is rural enough?
    Not really. Girton is basically a suburb of Cambridge and is surrounded on 2 sides by A roads that you can hear from your garden (we nearly bought a house there). Cottenham , maybe.
    Girton is now, wasn’t in the 90s.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Countryside version of complaining about the noise in Soho, no?

No, it's the equivalent of having a firing range in Soho.

The actual countryside equivalent is complaining about the morning chorus or something like that. You'd hate it.
    Literally grew up with the garden backing out onto a massive wheat field, I know what it’s like to live in the countryside.
    So you lived on the edge of town?
    To me, the key test is 'is there sh*t on the road?' but that may be due to growing up in a dairy farming area. East Anglia is mostly arable, so I guess 'are you occasionally stuck behind a tractor?'

Having said that, I was in Ongar on Sunday where we had to give way to a combine on the high street but which had a tube station until 1994.
    That sounds like a very good couple of tests. I'm assuming with the first one that you mean animal sh*t and not the sort of cars that would have to pay the ULEZ charge :smile:
    Yes, mostly cowshit. Fine when it's dry but lethal when wet.
    We have more problems with horse sh*t round this way. Don't want it sprayed up your back.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

The actual countryside equivalent is complaining about the morning chorus or something like that. You'd hate it.
    Literally grew up with the garden backing out onto a massive wheat field, I know what it’s like to live in the countryside.
    To me, the key test is 'is there sh*t on the road?' but that may be due to growing up in a dairy farming area. East Anglia is mostly arable, so I guess 'are you occasionally stuck behind a tractor?'

Having said that, I was in Ongar on Sunday where we had to give way to a combine on the high street but which had a tube station until 1994.
    School bus literally stuck behind tractors, driving between rapeseed fields, went to a “village college” which fielded children exclusively from villages, my upbringing was village, there just happened to be a large town with a big university which made it a “city” nearby.

Half of the houses built between Cambridge and my village didn’t even exist 20 years ago - I know what the countryside is like
    We're there any hills, water features, woodland or wildlife around?

For me a test to see if you are in the countryside is how likely you are to see deer.

Had three jump out on me, in separate incidents, the other night.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

School bus literally stuck behind tractors, driving between rapeseed fields, went to a “village college” which fielded children exclusively from villages, my upbringing was village, there just happened to be a large town with a big university which made it a “city” nearby.

Half of the houses built between Cambridge and my village didn’t even exist 20 years ago - I know what the countryside is like

For me a test to see if you are in the countryside is how likely you are to see deer.

Saw plenty of deer commuting through royal parks in London
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited September 2023

Talk about trivially annoying, yet another tradesman one.

Getting removal quotes. Okay it's the length of the country, but our house is perhaps 1700sq ft so not big.

First quote was £10,000.

Where are you moving to and why?
    I thought you are in the lovely Borders.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    lol love how I need to prove my countryside credentials but anyway.

Used to cycle out to Fen Drayton lakes in the summer for bit of mucking about in them or trying out RC water planes.

Seen more deer in RP and bushy park than pretty much anywhere else.

But nah, not many woods nearby. There are a few if you’re happy to trek across various farm fields to get to them, but who wants to go to the woods unless you’re doing underage drinking, drugs or burying bodies?
  • Pross said:

Getting removal quotes. Okay it's the length of the country, but our house is perhaps 1700sq ft so not big.

First quote was £10,000.

That's twice the area of the average UK house so pretty big!
    Strictly speaking is a 2 bed end terrace. With kind of an office room you could sleep in if you were being held hostage.

Anyhow , it's a medium sized house not a mansion. £10k. No.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

Strictly speaking is a 2 bed end terrace. With kind of an office room you could sleep in if you were being held hostage.

Ours is a "3" (2 plus a box) room terrace and it's 832sqf according to the listing.

Do you have 6 reception rooms?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2023

lol love how I need to prove my countryside credentials but anyway.

Used to cycle out to Fen Drayton lakes in the summer for bit of mucking about in them or trying out RC water planes.

Seen more deer in RP and bushy park than pretty much anywhere else.

But nah, not many woods nearby. There are a few if you’re happy to trek across various farm fields to get to them, but who wants to go to the woods unless you’re doing underage drinking, drugs or burying bodies?

Building dens and climbing trees, what else? My parents' house backed onto the woods and if we left the gate open the garden would fill up with horses, cows and deer, surprisingly quickly! They moved a few years ago down the road and the new one comes with rights to put pigs out at certain times of the year to eat the acorns, which we did a few times.
  • Stevo_666 said:

First quote was £10,000.

What are they going to do, wrap your possessions in gold foil? Also out of interest, are you moving back to England?
    Yes. With regret in some ways. In other ways, not.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    I broke a spoke on the way home and was very pleased to discover that not only did I have a spare spoke all I needed to do was screw on a new nipple.

But then struck my inability to take a tube and tyre off a wheel without pinching the tube with the tyre lever. Same equipment I've used for years, but somehow I've become completely useless.

Kids were unimpressed with the extended garage time and let me know.
  • pangolin said:

Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

Ours is a "3" (2 plus a box) room terrace and it's 832sqf according to the listing.

Do you have 6 reception rooms?
    No, 2 and a conservatory. Big rooms, not many of them I guess. It's nice. We don't want to leave really.

It'll be worth less than you think. Scotland, rural.
  • Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That sounds like a very good couple of tests. I'm assuming with the first one that you mean animal sh*t and not the sort of cars that would have to pay the ULEZ charge :smile:
    We have more problems with horse sh*t round this way. Don't want it sprayed up your back.
    That'll be all the horsey gels. Far less smelly and splattery than cowshit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    If horse manure is the test for stick living, then I'm rural.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

They're practically a pest now, aren't they? You get them on the outskirts of Croydon. A few more years and they'll be tipping over wheelie bins with the foxes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That'll be all the horsey gels. Far less smelly and splattery than cowshit.
    The dogs certainly approve of the stuff...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

It's not quite that cheap 10 miles from the capital, or honestly anywhere you'd want to do anything other than visit. There are parts of the mainland out west that are more isolated than you imagine. So yes land is cheap, but good luck finding a plumber. Or a bank. Or a shop. Or a petrol station.

All that said, it helps having no ambition and tolerating living somewhere else other than Ambitionshire. Means your meagre salary goes a bit further.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

They're practically a pest now, aren't they? You get them on the outskirts of Croydon. A few more years and they'll be tipping over wheelie bins with the foxes.
    Oddly I’ve never seen one in the wild in my part of Wales despite being on the edge of countryside pretty much all my life and regularly walking more rural areas. I did see a video a couple of weeks ago of one running along a street in Cwmbran so they are obviously around.

I see foxes quite often (proper rural ones) and the odd badger, rabbits all the time but last week was the first time I’d seen a hare in the parts.
  • Pross said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oddly I’ve never seen one in the wild in my part of Wales despite being on the edge of countryside pretty much all my life and regularly walking more rural areas. I did see a video a couple of weeks ago of one running along a street in Cwmbran so they are obviously around.

I see foxes quite often (proper rural ones) and the odd badger, rabbits all the time but last week was the first time I’d seen a hare in the parts.
    In all the years I commuted to here, I saw two deer. Plus another couple from the house and a few more on walks. Did a balloon trip over the area a few years ago in the middle of the day and saw dozens from the air. They are remarkably good at not being seen.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2023

Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

It's not quite that cheap 10 miles from the capital, or honestly anywhere you'd want to do anything other than visit. There are parts of the mainland out west that are more isolated than you imagine. So yes land is cheap, but good luck finding a plumber. Or a bank. Or a shop. Or a petrol station.

All that said, it helps having no ambition and tolerating living somewhere else other than Ambitionshire. Means your meagre salary goes a bit further.
    This is about 30 mins drive from Aberdeen airport.

Would be interested to see the listing actually. We looked at a few places in Scotland, even on the Black Isle, and lowest I got was about 2/3 price of here. Am going to guess the house itself needs more work than is viable for most people who might appear to be able to afford it.

Often the acreage is a red herring. It exists, but there's nothing on it and never could be. Even in Devon a paddock is only about £4k an acre, unless its got development potential (in which case multiple by 10).
  • Pross
    I'd like to get my hands on a paddock around here to use as a dog field and maybe an allotment / somewhere to chill in summer but nothing comes up. Any land that does come up seems to be badged as having development potential even when it's obvious it would never get planning. I've seen a few woodlands I'd be interested in but they tend to be too large and / or too far from the house to make them usable.
  • TheBigBean

Scotland prices are staggaring at times. You can get 10 bed farmhouses with outbuildings and 40 tenanted acres in semi-rural scotland for less than a 4 bed in Fulham. Cost of upkeep ain't cheap, though.

Would be interested to see the listing actually. We looked at a few places in Scotland, even on the Black Isle, and lowest I got was about 2/3 price of here. Am going to guess the house itself needs more work than is viable for most people who might appear to be able to afford it.

Often the acreage is a red herring. It exists, but there's nothing on it and never could be. Even in Devon a paddock is only about £4k an acre, unless its got development potential (in which case multiple by 10).
    How much do you think a four bed in Fulham is? That might explain the differing views.
  • Pross said:

I'd like to get my hands on a paddock around here to use as a dog field and maybe an allotment / somewhere to chill in summer but nothing comes up. Any land that does come up seems to be badged as having development potential even when it's obvious it would never get planning. I've seen a few woodlands I'd be interested in but they tend to be too large and / or too far from the house to make them usable.

Yeah and if they are attached to a house they do tend to add more value than they could be sold for alone.

That said, anything 10 bedroomed and 40 acred is a farm. That's a different property market entirely. I'd even wonder whether there are conditions attached.
  • Pross
    Half an acre within a couple of miles of the house, preferably with a water supply, would be all I want.

PM'd you

How much do you think a four bed in Fulham is? That might explain the differing views.
    To be fair, this one is genuinely the same price as a 4 bed terrace in Fulham.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/133418687?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY
  • Bloody hell that is good value. I know Dufftown is yet further away, but not a million miles of Aberdeen.