Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

Well...Okehampton.....

There are worse places in the world, and the house was right in the moor at the end of a dead end road, all very idyllic. Apart from the noise.
    Double glazing? Seriously, you can do a lot with the right glazing and good sealing. Will help your heating bill as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Not that helpful in the summer when you want to be outside. Live firing doesn't often happen at night.
  • I love the idea that you can just "make the best" of bombs constantly going off outside your house.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    During the height of the cold war, the local RAF base and firing range used to use some massive ordnance sometimes. Even though I am 8 miles away as the crow flies, the windows would rattle and the ground vibrate.
    Thankfully it was demoted to RAE (Establishment) and demoted again to MOD but still with radar and an emergency strip for passenger aircraft and training base.
    However, since the outbreak of war in Ukraine, the place is busy again.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023

I love the idea that you can just "make the best" of bombs constantly going off outside your house.

If bombs were constantly going off, there wouldn't be a range left.

Not the best place for a recording studio but you could make it livable if you wanted.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I love the idea that you can just "make the best" of bombs constantly going off outside your house.

It wasn't that bad and the actual ranges aren't near public roads, but if it was half the time the constant pop pop pop would drive you mad.

Double glazing. Sure. But if you want to stay indoors, a house on Dartmoor isn't the right place for you.
  • Not that helpful in the summer when you want to be outside. Live firing doesn't often happen at night.

I think it was "day amd night" about 10 days a month in the early summer when we were looking.

Not for us.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    edited September 2023
    Countryside version of complaining about the noise in Soho, no?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Well, only if they'd actually bought the place.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Countryside version of complaining about the noise in Soho, no?

No, it's the equivalent of having a firing range in Soho.

The actual countryside equivalent is complaining about the morning chorus or something like that. You'd hate it.
  • pangolin said:

Well, only if they'd actually bought the place.
    Came with an at least 10% Dartmoor tax as well.

• Talk about trivially annoying, yet another tradesman one.

Getting removal quotes. Okay it's the length of the country, but our house is perhaps 1700sq ft so not big.

First quote was £10,000.
  • Countryside version of complaining about the noise in Soho, no?

For the one in Kent, sure.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Talk about trivially annoying, yet another tradesman one.

Getting removal quotes. Okay it's the length of the country, but our house is perhaps 1700sq ft so not big.

First quote was £10,000.

What are they going to do, wrap your possessions in gold foil? Also out of interest, are you moving back to England?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

First quote was £10,000.

That's twice the area of the average UK house so pretty big!
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

Not saying you're wrong but that sounds pretty small - does that include flats?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

65m2 is a 2-bed flat, so average hom, perhaps.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

Not sure but most 3 or 4 bedroom places I’ve seen when nosing are between 900 and 1200 square feet.

I’ve only recently started seeing floor area on house details in the UK whereas it always seemed to be the standard thing in other countries ahead of how many bedrooms it has.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023

The actual countryside equivalent is complaining about the morning chorus or something like that. You'd hate it.
    Literally grew up with the garden backing out onto a massive wheat field, I know what it’s like to live in the countryside.
  • You literally don't know what it's like growing up in the countryside if you think a wheat field on the edge of a city constitutes countryside
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

65m2 is a 2-bed flat, so average hom, perhaps.
    That makes sense after a quick Google. I guess the combination of smallish Victorian/Edwardian terraced stock plus plenty of modern rabbit hutches keeps the average size low.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

First quote was £10,000.

Not sure but most 3 or 4 bedroom places I’ve seen when nosing are between 900 and 1200 square feet.

I’ve only recently started seeing floor area on house details in the UK whereas it always seemed to be the standard thing in other countries ahead of how many bedrooms it has.
    According to the online stats you're right. Lower than I'd expected but makes sense now.

I look (or rather looked as I'm not moving in the foreseeable) at both floor area and bedrooms - I found the floor area thing was a good way of working out how a house is priced vs others in an area.
  • Stevo_666

Literally grew up with the garden backing out onto a massive wheat field, I know what it’s like to live in the countryside.
    So you lived on the edge of town?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

First quote was £10,000.

Chancers. Ask around. I did an initial ask around for a saff norf move last year, not quite as far as nr Embra to Somerset (or wherever) but similar and was 25-30% of that. One van team or 2?

Para mi, me and my bruv hired a XLWB van for a week and did it ourselves. (I paid for his beers and his chippies 😊) And it cost a lot lot less.
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

To me, the key test is 'is there sh*t on the road?' but that may be due to growing up in a dairy farming area. East Anglia is mostly arable, so I guess 'are you occasionally stuck behind a tractor?'

Having said that, I was in Ongar on Sunday where we had to give way to a combine on the high street but which had a tube station until 1994.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

You literally don't know what it's like growing up in the countryside if you think a wheat field on the edge of a city constitutes countryside

Don’t think Girton and mates in Cottenham is rural enough?
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

To me, the key test is 'is there sh*t on the road?' but that may be due to growing up in a dairy farming area. East Anglia is mostly arable, so I guess 'are you occasionally stuck behind a tractor?'

Having said that, I was in Ongar on Sunday where we had to give way to a combine on the high street but which had a tube station until 1994.
    School bus literally stuck behind tractors, driving between rapeseed fields, went to a “village college” which fielded children exclusively from villages, my upbringing was village, there just happened to be a large town with a big university which made it a “city” nearby.

Half of the houses built between Cambridge and my village didn’t even exist 20 years ago - I know what the countryside is like
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

School bus literally stuck behind tractors, driving between rapeseed fields, went to a “village college” which fielded children exclusively from villages, my upbringing was village, there just happened to be a large town with a big university which made it a “city” nearby.

Half of the houses built between Cambridge and my village didn’t even exist 20 years ago - I know what the countryside is like
    Fine by me. We had a field over the back, too. With both parents vets we were acquainted with all the local farmers. Think that's a bit different from the hobby farms and pony paddocks that immediately border Greater London.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    edited September 2023
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That sounds like a very good couple of tests. I'm assuming with the first one that you mean animal sh*t and not the sort of cars that would have to pay the ULEZ charge :smile:
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That sounds like a very good couple of tests. I'm assuming with the first one that you mean animal sh*t and not the sort of cars that would have to pay the ULEZ charge :smile:
    Yes, mostly cowshit. Fine when it's dry but lethal when wet.
    Pinnacle Monzonite