Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    I think it's going for prettiness over legibility, but familiarity makes a big difference.

I was also thinking that a reading wand/pointer was a thing in the early middle ages and still is for Hebrew I think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,652
    Find a lot of the moral panic over AI really tiresome and boring.

Let me save everyone the trouble. New technologies have advantages and disadvantages.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697

Find a lot of the moral panic over AI really tiresome and boring.

Let me save everyone the trouble. New technologies have advantages and disadvantages.

Simple summary of complex issue = usually wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    Name me some "game changing" technology, if it even is all that, that didn't induce some moral panic?

Hell with steam trains people thought we'd vaporise over 30pmh. Nothing's perfect and clearly there will be some nefarious problems, but nothing we won't live to deal with.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I think that, with advanced AI, there is a clear risk of extintion, much larger than when the first nuke was dropped (atmospheric self-combustion was considered a potential outcome), and certainly when the LHC was started (small black holes that wouldn't evaporate fast enough, or finding out, at the speed of light, we lived in a metastable universe) .

There is a clear potential of changing lives as dramatically as the steam engine, except this time things might not be entirely in our hands, so saying it'll be alright sounds naive to me. Especially considering our nuclear arsenals.
  • rick_chasey
    Sorry, what? Have we all been smoking and watching the terminator or something?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Just ask it to play noughts and crosses against itself and we'll be fine.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028

Just ask it to play noughts and crosses against itself and we'll be fine.

• rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Hate to break it, but blade runner, terminator, AI, the matrix, 2001: A Space Odyssey

They're all not real you know.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Hate to break it, but blade runner, terminator, AI, the matrix, 2001: A Space Odyssey

They're warnings from the future
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

Do you keep an eye on things like security vulnerabilities? Planes crashing due to coding issues on their flight control systems? The slightly related but different issue with 737 Max's? Racistic algorithms? "Intelligent" lightbulbs stopping working?

Those are the _good_ programmers. The world's full of code that barely works, and will break if looked in a bad way. My experience prevents me from having rosy expectations for an AI-enabled future.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    drhaggis said:

Do you keep an eye on things like security vulnerabilities? Planes crashing due to coding issues on their flight control systems? The slightly related but different issue with 737 Max's? Racistic algorithms? "Intelligent" lightbulbs stopping working?

Those are the _good_ programmers. The world's full of code that barely works, and will break if looked in a bad way. My experience prevents me from having rosy expectations for an AI-enabled future.
    AI is just a tool and a tool is only as good as its maker and user.

It's already been revolutionary in biomedicine. I mean, properly. Remarkable stuff. People are so quick to worry about the downside they don't think of the upside.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

you know sci fi writers get many of their ideas from stuff that already exists.

Bladerunner was released in 1982 and was using voice activation to shut the curtains.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    The most imminent danger is climate change.
    Will AI prove to be useful in that regard 'cos we're f*cked if it doesn't?
    Certainly, collective human intelligence is insufficient.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Pinching this from a comment thread on one of the recent AI stories from The Register. It's said in jest (at least partly):

"Biophysicist friend of mine is developing an MRI scanning tool that uses AI to identify blood flow in blood vessels, veins, arteries etc and it can distinguish organs from each other. To him, this sounds like a very handy medical tool...to me it sounds like a targeting system.

All the tech exists, right now, to build a crude Terminator. Just sayin."
  • rick_chasey

Bladerunner was released in 1982 and was using voice activation to shut the curtains.
    Yeah and I still don’t close my curtains with my voice. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697

drhaggis said:

AI is just a tool and a tool is only as good as its maker and user.

It's already been revolutionary in biomedicine. I mean, properly. Remarkable stuff. People are so quick to worry about the downside they don't think of the upside.
    Yes yes, it's called bioinformatics and has been a thing for ages.

The issues with AI it are exemplified by the multitude of incompatible truths people now subscribe to. It also creates more in built attitudinal bias in people. I don't think the extremely polarised politics we are seeing now is unconnected from the internet age and the AI inbuilt into search results, new streams and wotnot.
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

But you're above collective human intelligent, after all, as you can see it. So you're just better than everyone else because you're whining about climate change, right?

We're wired to be short term and look after ourselves and climate change is a problem because the incentives are a-symmetrical.

So either you can come up with a way to solve those a-symmetrical incentives so that we're all incentivised to do the right thing re-climate change, or you're not better than anyone else not doing anything about it.

That is a trivial pet hate of mine, climate change hand-wringers. Go work with some people who are actually putting their money where their mouth is and are doing something about it, then you can complain people are too thick.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

pinno said:

But you're above collective human intelligent, after all, as you can see it. So you're just better than everyone else because you're whining about climate change, right?

We're wired to be short term and look after ourselves and climate change is a problem because the incentives are a-symmetrical.

So either you can come up with a way to solve those a-symmetrical incentives so that we're all incentivised to do the right thing re-climate change, or you're not better than anyone else not doing anything about it.

That is a trivial pet hate of mine, climate change hand-wringers. Go work with some people who are actually putting their money where their mouth is and are doing something about it, then you can complain people are too thick.
    Says the man who says we should give up cars but won’t give his. Mr Weasel words.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    webboo said:

pinno said:

Says the man who says we should give up cars but won’t give his. Mr Weasel words.
    Tell me you didn't understand why mass transit models need to change without telling me you didn't understand why mass transit models need to change.

Go have a w&nk the mirror and enjoy yourself. You need a bit of self love.
  • webboo
    I’m not Mr Well Balanced with a chip on both shoulders. I think you need to go sit in a darkened room for a bit.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Wow
  • rick_chasey
    webboo said:

I’m not Mr Well Balanced with a chip on both shoulders. I think you need to go sit in a darkened room for a bit.

Hey look. If you're too stupid to understand the argument that's your business. But don't come at me calling me weasel when you clearly don't understand either the problem or the argument, because if you did, you'd have realised it's not really relevant to the climate change discussion, ya idiot.
  • webboo

webboo said:

Hey look. If you're too stupid to understand the argument that's your business. But don't come at me calling me weasel when you clearly don't understand either the problem or the argument, because if you did, you'd have realised it's not really relevant to the climate change discussion, ya idiot.
    That’s ok Rick insult away, it’s easy to on here.
    You might go up in my estimation when you put your money where your mouth is and go car less.
  • rick_chasey
    With that level of comprehension, going up in your estimation probably isn't a good thing.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

webboo said:

pinno said:

Tell me you didn't understand why mass transit models need to change without telling me you didn't understand why mass transit models need to change.

Go have a w&nk the mirror and enjoy yourself. You need a bit of self love.
    old school lunch?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    edited March 2023

Yeah and I still don’t close my curtains with my voice. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    That's just because you don't earn enough. It's pretty evident that this is not your area of expertise and you seem unable to spot when someone is talking from professional experience.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • webboo

With that level of comprehension, going up in your estimation probably isn't a good thing.

I know what your argument is for not doing it but you accused Pinno for being a hand wringer for not doing any thing to further his cause.
    Shades of grey Rick.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm not hand-writing about climate change?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

pinno said:

In my previous occupation, I recycled tons and tons and tons of Aluminium, steel, low grade polythene, high grade polythene, waste cooking oil and milk bottle plastic. This I have re-iterated more times than I care to remember.
    If you would like to know the detail of the carbon footprint of the above versus not recycling, i'll fill you in.
    I could fly around the world almost 3 times (depending which calculation you use) and still be carbon negative.
    I continue to recycle but I am no longer hands on.
    I assist organisations commercial or in the 3rd sector in reducing waste and doing more recycling.

You cannot say to me "...you're not better than anyone else not doing anything about it...".

I do not and have never claimed to be better or cleverer than anyone else but what I can claim, is that I have done more than the average Jo in regards to reducing carbon emissions.
    I also support various organisations.

I guess it's your mirror you have to look at and your hands you have to stop wringing.

I suggest you make a donation to the Mangrove or Kelp or sea grass plantations that are going on globally to atone for your bollox and for the fact you insist on flying.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!