Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    lesfirth said:

pblakeney said:

Not trivial and probably experienced by a few on here.
    Being asked….
    “Why can’t I just get a euthanasia pill?”
    Followed by…
    “They wouldn’t treat a dog like this.”

We have some strange priorities.

Excellent question and yes not trivial. I would like an answer but it looks like pita breads are a bigger issue on the forum today.
    Well yes, the clue is in the 'trivial' bit.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    masjer said:

Pitta bread.

You need the skills of a surgeon to make a successful pocket, and then trying to stuff the thing invariably ends in a disappointing mess.
    The supermarket varieties should be renamed PITA bread.

Pop them in the toaster. The heat puffs them up making them easier to open (if you can hold onto very hot bread with your bare hands.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    rjsterry said:

masjer said:

Pitta bread.

You need the skills of a surgeon to make a successful pocket, and then trying to stuff the thing invariably ends in a disappointing mess.
    The supermarket varieties should be renamed PITA bread.

Pop them in the toaster. The heat puffs them up making them easier to open (if you can hold onto very hot bread with your bare hands.
    Thanks, good suggestions. I was going to say it’s not a burning issue, but now it seems it is. I think I’ll just stick to easier breads :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    This sign:

It's at the end of the road where I fell off on some ice in January, wasn't there when it was icy, but appeared a few days after the thaw. Still there now.
  • pinno

This sign:
    It's at the end of the road where I fell off on some ice in January, wasn't there when it was icy, but appeared a few days after the thaw. Still there now.

Give it a good kicking.

• veronese68
    pinno said:

This sign:

Give it a good kicking.

I'd probably miss and fall off :D
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Flight pricing transparency.

Booked some flights which on face value cost £350 all in for the family of 3 - pretty good value.

Less of that hang wringing:

https://www.forestcarbon.co.uk/offset-your-flights

Go on, I've posted enough on here, go find one where I wail at the impending doom of our race and come post it here.
    There is no point having a conversation with someone so detached.

You don’t mean Mister self aware. I.e. everyone knows I’m a kn@b but I can’t see it myself.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Booked some flights which on face value cost £350 all in for the family of 3 - pretty good value.

Go on, I've posted enough on here, go find one where I wail at the impending doom of our race and come post it here.

You don’t mean Mister self aware. I.e. everyone knows I’m a kn@b but I can’t see it myself.
    Now, why would you think that?!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I could say but he’ll only link to a graph or some research paper he’s never read.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

I could say but he’ll only link to a graph or some research paper he’s never read.

Like this?:

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    pinno said:

webboo said:

Like this?:

That doesn't prove anything.
  • pinno

pinno said:

That doesn't prove anything.

But but but... the line goes up.

My friends know and that proves my point and it's party party party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1owcncKCHg

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650
    pinno said:

pinno said:

See, you couldn’t.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Rode bike this morning, walked dogs after lunch for a couple of hours, after taking dogs home stopped 20 mins or so, then walked to shops and on to coffee shop.

Sat in coffee shop for around 30 mins and watch tells me i need to exercise. I’ve literally been still for an hour in total out of the last 4
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    morstar said:

Rode bike this morning, walked dogs after lunch for a couple of hours, after taking dogs home stopped 20 mins or so, then walked to shops and on to coffee shop.

Sat in coffee shop for around 30 mins and watch tells me i need to exercise. I’ve literally been still for an hour in total out of the last 4

Mine did it after I’d been sat down for half an hour after finishing a marathon. I switched the alert off at that point.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Obviously not trying hard enough.
  • First.Aspect
    Exercise is counted in steps, didn't you know.

If you go to 120 psi and remove the bar tape, you can get your 10000 steps in about a mile and a half.
  • morstar
    mrb123 said:

Obviously not trying hard enough.

Evidently.
  • masjer
    edited April 2023
    My washing machine was starting to go on walkabout under its own steam, so I fitted new suspension arms. It seemed a little better. Heavy load went in…bang, bang, bang. That doesn’t sound good. Next suspect, worn bearings. There was certainly some play in the drum.

Right, stripped the machine down. Pump, motor, control panel, various hoses, concrete counterweights, etc, all easy enough. Lifted the complete drum assembly out of the top of the machine.

B’stards, they’ve only gone and bonded the two halves of the drum housing, making it impossible to remove the drum to get to the bearings. They used to be bolted together. Progress👎
    Not wanting to be thwarted, I cut the two halves apart (oscillating tool) and extracted the stainless drum. Finally, got to inspect the bearings, which only had slight play. On further investigation, the three-armed spider (that holds the drum to the shaft) had a crack through one of the arms.

Parts availability, zero for a sealed unit.

Sorry about the boring read, but my annoyance is built in obsolescence. A perfectly good machine now scrap.
  • veronese68
    masjer said:

Sorry about the boring read, but my annoyance is built in obsolescence. A perfectly good machine now scrap.

That's a worthy rant and I completely agree with you. I've replaced the bearings in washing machines and it's a pig of a job, but really should be possible without resorting to cutting things and spares for white goods shouldn't be so hard to buy.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537

masjer said:

That's a worthy rant and I completely agree with you. I've replaced the bearings in washing machines and it's a pig of a job, but really should be possible without resorting to cutting things and spares for white goods shouldn't be so hard to buy.
    That's the kind of thing that the EU might eventually get on - ensuring that white goods are repairable. The 'free market' is rubbish at that sort of thing, and partly why we're screwed - all short term gain.

• masjer
    Where they used to be bolted, they are now factory fused. Mad, the bearings can fail quite early with no way to replace. The bearings and seals are only about £35 for the repairable types.

Fused drum housing.

Anyway £400 machine on its way. What a boring way to spend money!
  • briantrumpet
    edited April 2023
    Having to use three - yes, *three* - matches to get the woodburner roaring away.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

Having to use three - yes, *three* - matches to get the woodburner roaring away.

😊 This looks like will be night #2, after last night, when a woodburner doesn't fire up here, breaking the every evening since end September cozy stove sequence. Spring has sprung.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

😊 This looks like will be night #2, after last night, when a woodburner doesn't fire up here, breaking the every evening since end September cozy stove sequence. Spring has sprung.
    The nights here are down to about 2 or 3C for the next two or three days, So I'll be hoping to let it go out after then, if I can, but will keep it ticking over in the meantime, so no more matches.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159

orraloon said:

The nights here are down to about 2 or 3C for the next two or three days, So I'll be hoping to let it go out after then, if I can, but will keep it ticking over in the meantime, so no more matches.
    Woke up to an unexpected frost and having to scrape the windscreen this morning here. Luckily it warms up quickly when the sun is out so not much heating needed.
  • morstar
    Having been out running & riding over the last 3 mornings, the temperature change between 9 and 10 is remarkable.
  • First.Aspect
    Cycling tips.

Enjoy your free article.

To read your free article please open an account.

I hope you enjoyed your free article. To read on either part with your hard earned cash or get the same stuff for free somewhere else.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

Having been out running & riding over the last 3 mornings, the temperature change between 9 and 10 is remarkable.

If the sun comes out here at this time of year, it'll be shorts by the lunchtime, but there's no real warmth in the air, and the mistral can make it feel artic very quickly if the sun boogers off.
  • morstar

morstar said:

If the sun comes out here at this time of year, it'll be shorts by the lunchtime, but there's no real warmth in the air, and the mistral can make it feel artic very quickly if the sun boogers off.
    Very much like that here at the moment. Walking in and out of shadow is quite striking.