Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Jezyboy said:

mully79 said:

This weekend will be the first MotoGP race I haven't watched since 1999.

Another sport ruined as they try to appeal to an audience with an ever shorter attention span and fleece every fan for as much money as possible.

What's gone wrong? Never really followed it seriously, but used to watch it whenever it was on Eurosport, back about oh 10+ years ago...
    They were great years on Eurosport. BT bought the rights and have done a good job of the coverage but it’s not worth £28 a month. Aero, traction control, ride height devices, Saturday sprint races. Difficulty overtaking, front tyres overheating. The characters/aliens have retired so there’s no needle.
    Even though the racings close it’s just not exciting for me anymore.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    Our pressure washer has been losing oomph incrementally for a couple of years, and leaving a little oil slick wherever it goes. I've been meaning to examine its internals for ages but it's never seemed as important as fixing bikes or cars. It finally packed up completely on Sunday when I was about 60% through cleaning the patio :s

The bodger in me wants to strip it down and see if it's repairable, but the devil on my shoulder wants me to go shopping for something new and shiny and a bit further up the Karcher food chain...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Munsford0 said:

The bodger in me wants to strip it down and see if it's repairable, but the devil on my shoulder wants me to go shopping for something new and shiny and a bit further up the Karcher food chain...

Strip it and fix it, even if it only lasts a short while that's money liberated for more fun things.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Munsford0 said:

Our pressure washer has been losing oomph incrementally for a couple of years, and leaving a little oil slick wherever it goes. I've been meaning to examine its internals for ages but it's never seemed as important as fixing bikes or cars. It finally packed up completely on Sunday when I was about 60% through cleaning the patio :s

The nozzle on my old one blew up right next to where my non-trigger hand was holding it. If my hand was a couple of inches further forward it would have done real damage. Even as it was the water that hot my hand bloody hurt.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    The term 'period property'. As far as I can tell it just means an old house that the estate agent is unable to put into a specific time period. The definition I find when looking it up is generally that it pre-dates the First World War but I regularly see it used on properties that are obvious later than that. Also where does it start? Are Georgian houses period properties?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655

I'd just go used. I picked up my Colnago with di2 and zipp 303s for £3k.

The trick was to buy it while my wife was still pregnant and the money belonged to me, not the family ;)

This is good advice btw. Ebay is full of top level bikes in the £3-7k range, which seems much more reasonable. Even in my diminutive size.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pross said:

The term 'period property'. As far as I can tell it just means an old house that the estate agent is unable to put into a specific time period. The definition I find when looking it up is generally that it pre-dates the First World War but I regularly see it used on properties that are obvious later than that. Also where does it start? Are Georgian houses period properties?

Euphemism for "Looks nice but will cost a fortune to modernise"
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Pross said:

It only recently struck me that my parents' boring semi-detached suburban house is now about 100 years old.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I'd just go used. I picked up my Colnago with di2 and zipp 303s for £3k.

The trick was to buy it while my wife was still pregnant and the money belonged to me, not the family ;)

This is good advice btw. Ebay is full of top level bikes in the £3-7k range, which seems much more reasonable. Even in my diminutive size.
    Buy the wife on £3k bike on the Cyclescheme and then add the £1.5k saving to the budget for your new bike next year
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Chaps, we want to find a way to maximise the chance of a wing mirror clipping a cyclist. Can we give it a try?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/27/wavy-kerbs-installed-on-london-road-to-slow-cars-and-promote-cycling-18508232/?ITO=msn
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

Chaps, we want to find a way to maximise the chance of a wing mirror clipping a cyclist. Can we give it a try?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/27/wavy-kerbs-installed-on-london-road-to-slow-cars-and-promote-cycling-18508232/?ITO=msn

My anti-marketing software precludes me from reading this and it's a faff switching it on and off so if you would kindly fill me in on the gist of what I can only presume is a silly idea seen as we are the nation of silly walks and silly ideas. Ta.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    pinno said:

My anti-marketing software precludes me from reading this and it's a faff switching it on and off so if you would kindly fill me in on the gist of what I can only presume is a silly idea seen as we are the nation of silly walks and silly ideas. Ta.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    pinno said:

As far as I can tell, the council wanted to prevent traffic going through a rat run by blocking it off so there was no through traffic down a busy shopping street. Some residents and businesses objected and wanted traffic through there slowed down instead, and now the compromise is being mocked.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited March 2023

• pangolin
    Local resident also annoyed it won't slot down the woke cyclists.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Just looks like a chicane increasing the chance of a pinchpoint and conflict.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    There is this further down the article, there isn't room for 2 cycle lanes in the chicane so possibly the cycle lane is outside the kerb line
    Motor vehicles will be banned from the road from 8.15am to 9.15am every morning and 3pm to 3.45pm every afternoon, with exemptions for residents and key services such as ambulances.

A cycle route will also allow bikes to travel with or against the direction of road traffic.
  • pinno
    Strange exclusion times, presumably, to stop school run traffic.

If a cyclist was to occupy the middle of the road, no vehicles could get by them.
    How long is this stretch of road?
  • surrey_commuter
    pinno said:

If a cyclist was to occupy the middle of the road, no vehicles could get by them.

keep the kerbs that high and nobody is going through that faster than a cyclist
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

150 metres total, about 30 metres of it with the wavy kerbs.
  • pinno

pinno said:

150 metres total, about 30 metres of it with the wavy kerbs.
    Just enough to hold up an increasingly impatient car driver.
  • briantrumpet
    If the only way to change motorists' behaviour is by pîssing them off, then this idea seems to have merit.

• pinno
    edited March 2023

If the only way to change motorists' behaviour is by pîssing them off, then this idea seems to have merit.

To then act in frustration?
    [further fueled by the Daily Heil et al - Re.: murdering cyclists, after the bloke on a fixie killed a pedestrian. Remember that?]

On that note and as a slight diversion (probably not worthy of yet more compartmentalisation BT), I am behind Harry and others who are trying to take the gutter press to court. First obstacle was yesterday's preliminary hearing.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

[further fueled by the Daily Heil et al - Re.: murdering cyclists, after the bloke on a fixie killed a pedestrian. Remember that?]

On that note and as a slight diversion (probably not worthy of yet more compartmentalisation BT), I am behind Harry and others who are trying to take the gutter press to court. First obstacle was yesterday's preliminary hearing.

I suppose we should be grateful that it's only cars that the UK population has be brainwashed with, and not guns.
  • pinno

pinno said:

I suppose we should be grateful that it's only cars that the UK population has be brainwashed with, and not guns.
    The resistance across the water to relinquishing guns is alarming and illogical.
    Does the UK gammon compare to the US redneck on the IQ scale?

The free world where it is difficult to get an abortion
    The free world where you can own a gun and potentially kill someone
    The free world with it's highly democratic 2 party state and if you think outside of the box, you are a woolly liberal
    The free world with it's huge gap in equality
    The free world where you are free to die of a life threatening illness if you cannot pay for the best medical care
    The free world where if you are rich enough, you can afford the best lawyers and generally get away with it including homicide
    The free world where you can by an AR 15 that can fire 150 rounds in 15 seconds (and some try to argue that it isn't an assault rifle, I kid you not: https://www.nssf.org/msr/ )

I don't like this 'free world'.
  • surrey_commuter

pinno said:

The Prince of Woke does not seem very good at funding his battles.

I once met a lawyer who used to be funded by Max Moseley to represent members of the public who had been trampled on by the tabloid press.
  • pinno

pinno said:

The Prince of Woke does not seem very good at funding his battles.

I once met a lawyer who used to be funded by Max Moseley to represent members of the public who had been trampled on by the tabloid press.
    Interesting:

In July 2011, The Daily Telegraph reported that Mosley was financially guaranteeing the court costs of claimants who may have been subjected to phone hacking by the News of the World. Mosley refused to comment at the time, but he later gave a television interview to the BBC and a telephone interview to Reuters where he confirmed the story.[143]

Mosley launched legal action against Google, in an attempt to stop searches from returning web pages which use the photographs from the video used for the News of the World story.[144] On 6 November 2013, in Mosley v SARL Google, a French court sided with Mosley and ordered Google to prevent its search engine from providing links to images of Mosley engaging in sexual activities from the video. The Register suggested the ruling would lead to a Streisand effect, increasing interest in the images, which are still findable through other search engines.[145] At the Leveson Inquiry,

Bit of a mixed bag was Mosley.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    monkimark said:

There is this further down the article, there isn't room for 2 cycle lanes in the chicane so possibly the cycle lane is outside the kerb line

Motor vehicles will be banned from the road from 8.15am to 9.15am every morning and 3pm to 3.45pm every afternoon, with exemptions for residents and key services such as ambulances.

A cycle route will also allow bikes to travel with or against the direction of road traffic.
    Fair enough. However looks like a narrow street to me, so it's a system designed to place cyclists in conflict with pedestrians and given them no other viable alternative.

One way or another unless it is an 18th century solution to get horse drawn trams up a 1 in 3 Street in San Fransisco, it is stupid.
  • pangolin
    Similar thing in Bristol achieved by just painting some planters

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham

monkimark said:

Fair enough. However looks like a narrow street to me, so it's a system designed to place cyclists in conflict with pedestrians and given them no other viable alternative.

One way or another unless it is an 18th century solution to get horse drawn trams up a 1 in 3 Street in San Fransisco, it is stupid.
    It's literally this stretch of road as far as the traffic lights, with the wavy bit being as far as the red building. It looks ideal for being traffic free, but I'm sure the people who live on that street or nearby like to be able to get to the A1 a bit quicker.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5349121,-0.1035608,3a,75y,304.15h,92.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sADFz_25nguEGY9Mfi0iBYg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It doesn't look ideal for two way cycling, cycling against the traffic flow is indicated on the consultation documents as just on the carriageway. I don't think it matters much what shape the carriageway is.

https://www.islington.gov.uk/-/media/images/content-images/transport-and-infrastructure/charlton-place-and-camden-passage-map-of-final-design.jpg