Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Dr advice.

"You can cycle again as long as you don't fall off and land on the shoulder you broke"

Thanks doc.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Dr advice.

"You can cycle again as long as you don't fall off and land on the shoulder you broke"

Thanks doc.

Good advice and frankly sounds like something you should have been doing all along.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    It's good that the other shoulder or any other body part has been deemed strong enough that it is suitable to take the landing too.
  • neighbours who continually fail to factor in Bank Holidays and put their refuse/recycling out as if it was a 'normal' collection.
    I mean; how many times does it take for the penny to drop that collections are delayed a day!?!
    Just gets me so very, very.😡🤬
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

neighbours who continually fail to factor in Bank Holidays and put their refuse/recycling out as if it was a 'normal' collection.
    I mean; how many times does it take for the penny to drop that collections are delayed a day!?!
    Just gets me so very, very.😡🤬

What gets even worse is when you move to an area when they don't move by a day. Confused the hell out of me when I moved back to Cornwall.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Don't move it by a day here, except for Christmas when all bets are off.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    I get an email for every collection at 6pm the night before... including the "Don't put it out yet, it's a bell holiday!" ones. I'd be useless otherwise.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    edited April 2023
    on the 1 day over the weekend that I had a deadline to get back, getting my first puncture in 3 years and then discovering an actual road closure rather than just a phantom signed one! Added 1/2hour to the ride and guaranteed earache when I got home :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    Heathrow Airport.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    People who refer to the school Christmas, Easter or summer holidays as 'half-term'. The clue is in the name that the half-term break is the one week (usually) the schools have off midway through each term.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Pross said:

People who refer to the school Christmas, Easter or summer holidays as 'half-term'. The clue is in the name that the half-term break is the one week (usually) the schools have off midway through each term.

Similarly, why there are now apparently 6 terms rather than 3 with a half term break in each.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    Agnosticism towards greatness.

Headaches
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    pblakeney said:

Heathrow Airport.

Heathrow has never been much fun.
    I don't think I have been to a worse airport. Frankfurt is pretty ugly but it works.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Tashman said:

Pross said:

Similarly, why there are now apparently 6 terms rather than 3 with a half term break in each.
    Daughter's university has 3 terms incorporating 2 semesters. WTF?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Celebrity children's books.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

Walliams?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited April 2023
    rjsterry said:

Jamie Oliver's children's book.
    Billy and the Giant Adventure.

• pinno
    King Charles?

Actually, I have 'The old man of Lochnagar' and it's actually very good.
  • masjer
    The human spine.

Somehow managed to tweak my back yesterday for the umpteenth time, not even an anecdote to go with this injury, (maybe a sign of old age creeping in). Anyway, no sleep and a day (or five) of hobbling around again.
    Evolution sort out this ‘design’ flaw!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    masjer said:

The human spine.

Somehow managed to tweak my back yesterday for the umpteenth time, not even an anecdote to go with this injury, (maybe a sign of old age creeping in). Anyway, no sleep and a day (or five) of hobbling around again.
    Evolution sort out this ‘design’ flaw!

I was slightly relieved the previous time I tweaked my back, going to a physio (for the first time) who told me that it was a muscular injury near the spine, rather than the spine itself. Still really annoying when I tweak it again and have to shuffle around. I know I ought to do daily stretches to keep the knotted muscle working properly. At least, after the last episode, I've devised a different way of carrying my heating logs up the stairs.
  • Pross
    The issue, explained to me when I got treated for a herniated disc, is that the back goes into spasm specifically to protect the spine and prevent damage to the spinal chord (I assume it stops you twisting or making sudden movements that can aggrevate the problem) so whilst uncomfortable it's a desighn feature not a flaw.
  • masjer
    Pross said:

The issue, explained to me when I got treated for a herniated disc, is that the back goes into spasm specifically to protect the spine and prevent damage to the spinal chord (I assume it stops you twisting or making sudden movements that can aggrevate the problem) so whilst uncomfortable it's a desighn feature not a flaw.

I wasn’t really referring to the protective pain mechanism, just the injury prone nature of our spines.

Our Over-Loaded Lower Backs
    This is also a consequence of our transition from four-legged to two-legged creatures. According to paleoanthropologist Bruce Latimer of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio,

When humans stood upright, they took a spine that had evolved to be stiff for climbing and moving in trees and rotated it 90 degrees, so it was vertical—a task Latimer compared to stacking 26 cups and saucers on top of each other (vertebrae and discs) and then, balancing a head on top. But so as not to obstruct the birth canal and to get the torso balanced above our feet, the spine has to curve inwards (lordosis), creating the hollow of our backs. That's why our spines are shaped like an "S." All that curving, with the weight of the head and stuff we carry stacked on top, creates pressure that causes back problems—especially if you play football, do gymnastics, or swim the butterfly stroke. In the United States alone, 700,000 people suffer vertebral fractures per year and back problems are the sixth leading human malady in the world. "If you take care of it, your spine will get you through to about 40 or 50," said Latimer. "After that, you're on your own."/i>
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    pinno said:

King Charles?

Actually, I have 'The old man of Lochnagar' and it's actually very good.

That was good. Also loved The Flight of the Magic Clog. Was referring to Mr Oliver and by extension Walliams.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Ripoff insurance companies. I never auto renew, would I be that stupid? Expiry date approaching, current company ask for a 16% increase. Do the searches via comparison sites and direct, get a price (big well known company) at around same as I paid last year. However also get a quote from my current provider at almost same as they charged me last year. Nah, FRO. Sorted.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Last year my motorbike renewal quote was cheaper than any of the comparison site quotes. First time it has ever happened, some of the previous ones have been ridiculous.
  • pinno
    monkimark said:

Last year my motorbike renewal quote was cheaper than any of the comparison site quotes. First time it has ever happened, some of the previous ones have been ridiculous.

There a new law in that Insurance companies cannot offer you a premium above what your last was.
    That's to stop people who cannot be bothered to cancel a DD spending more and more year in year out and Insurance companies have traditionally balanced duration of insurance with risk. i.e: the longer you go without a claim, the more likely you are to make a claim so the increase on the premium is to offset that risk.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    pinno said:

monkimark said:

There a new law in that Insurance companies cannot offer you a premium above what your last was.
    🤔? Is that a Thick Lizzy type made up shitelaw? My insurer raised it by 16%, hence the no ta, FRO, move on to another.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    orraloon said:

pinno said:

monkimark said:

🤔? Is that a Thick Lizzy type made up shitelaw? My insurer raised it by 16%, hence the no ta, FRO, move on to another.

Yeah it's wrong. The regulations are now that they aren't supposed to offer new customers better rates than existing customers. To avoid things like a 30% rise for the same cover. We all know that this raised all costs 15% but hey, I'm not in government so what do I know about sensible policies.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just googled this and they have offer you another policy at the price they would offer a new customer. I would suggest that you might report them for illegal practice.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    That makes no sense, by thay logic, increased no claims should result in higher premiums?
    pinno said:

Insurance companies have traditionally balanced duration of insurance with risk. i.e: the longer you go without a claim, the more likely you are to make a claim.