Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    drhaggis said:

masjer said:

drhaggis said:

Went for a nice afternoon spin today, since it was sunny and not windy (definitely not warm, but two out of three ain't bad). I realised much later on that, despite the risk of ice, I left without phone, ID, or money to get back home in case of an eventuality.

Go me.

And I thought that Shackleton’s survival story was impressive ;)
    This is why I posted in "trivial but annoying", not in "Edinburgh local goes to hell and back". It's just that I'd like to minimise the chances of having to depend on the charity of a 3rd pary.
    I can't. Mrs Pinno doesn't drive.
    I guess i'll just have to wear some cleats out walking...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    With the weather here yesterday first our flat roof the former garage, now my office (replaced with a resin roof in 2020) started leaking as the snow melted and then our boiler stopped working completely.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Pross said:

With the weather here yesterday first our flat roof the former garage, now my office (replaced with a resin roof in 2020) started leaking as the snow melted and then our boiler stopped working completely.

Could it be condensation and not a leak?
    I've had this in the past on a utility room flat roof. I installed ventilation vents, and it all seems fine now.
    https://bregroup.com/insights/avoiding-dripping-roofs/
  • Pross
    masjer said:

Pross said:

Could it be condensation and not a leak?
    I've had this in the past on a utility room flat roof. I installed ventilation vents, and it all seems fine now.
    https://bregroup.com/insights/avoiding-dripping-roofs/
    Nah, it was properly coming in and we've already had it repaired once. I think the guy put the resin too thick in one area to try to remove a low spot. It cracked the day after he first did it during some really warm weather and he had to start again then we had a leak a year or so back that he had to repair. It has a 15 year warranty and he comes around fast to sort out the issues.

He must be regretting doing the job now, his son reversed their truck onto the driveway the first day they arrived and somehow smashed the gear box due to the gradient and then the son put a foot through the ceiling below (luckily it had to be replaced anyway due to the water damage from the initial leak) then he had to rip off what he'd done and now he's coming back for a second repair.

Boiler looks like it may be due to a blocked condensate pipe, possibly due to the snow or maybe because next door recently had her roof replaced so the builder may have left a load of cr@p in our guttering. Another annoyance is that she didn't bother coming to speak to us first as we could have got both got our roofs done at the same time which would have saved her money as it was something I was starting to think of getting done. We now have very different roof tiles and they had to inserted an edging between her roof and mine that I'm convinced is going to let in water.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    ^ What a pain!

The last handful of peanuts out of the packet. Man, those bad boys are salty!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    masjer said:

^ What a pain!

conversely the last handful of dry roasted nuts, that dust is magic stuff!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Carveries or, more precisely, the animals (mainly fatties) you find eating in them. Order the large with 4 different meats and then play ‘who can pile the most food on a plate’ before then leaving loads of stuff uneaten.

A carvery is a form of buffet so is catering for savages
    As you can't go to Simpsons on the strand, it's as freshly carved a roast as you'll get in a restaurant. Love it.

If you go to a carvery in a seaside town for old people (think Sidmouth), they can be very civilised, as the clientele tend to be rather less greedy, and if it's got a good turnover, everything is pretty fresh.

And if you are thinking I'm describing the Bowd Inn at Sidmouth @rjsterry, you'll be sad to know it closed suddenly and without explanation.
    😬 Always was something funny about that place.

There's something funny about Sidmouth.
    True enough.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Tashman said:

masjer said:

^ What a pain!

Apart from completely drying out your mouth
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Pross said:

Tashman said:

masjer said:

^ What a pain!

Apart from completely drying out your mouth
    Not a problem if you snort it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The cats appear to have brought some unfortunate creature in to the garage, where it seems to crept off and expired as we now have a fair few blue bottles in their.
    I’ve moved all the obvious stuff but can’t find anything or smell anything.
    Anyone know long the process of maggots to flies lasts.
  • Pross
    webboo said:

The cats appear to have brought some unfortunate creature in to the garage, where it seems to crept off and expired as we now have a fair few blue bottles in their.

Based on various crime dramas it depends on the species as they use the development to work out how long a body has been dead depending on the type of larvae.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

webboo said:

Based on various crime dramas it depends on the species as they use the development to work out how long a body has been dead depending on the type of larvae.
    Donning my deerstalker I deduce that Webboo's garage is considerably warmer than mine
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The boiler is in the garage and there’s a radiator as well, not that you would notice. The boiler is due a service this month so I suppose the engineer could remove any beasties that might have gone to ground in there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Watching the news showing how people are coping with the atrocious weather conditions. Most that has been shown is an accumulated 2.5cm. This country is pathetic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Watching the news showing how people are coping with the atrocious weather conditions. Most that has been shown is an accumulated 2.5cm. This country is pathetic.

There was more than that in the Valleys yesterday (about 10cm - even we had 2-3cm at sea level). Maybe the reporters are finally heeding their own advice and not travelling to the worst affected areas. Forecast in the amber warning area was pretty bad, up to 40cm I think which is significant snowfall in such a short time pretty much anywhere.

It must be pretty bad as 2 fell races have been cancelled and those nutters very rarely call anything off due to weather. One organiser is always taking the mick out of people talking about races being dangerous.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

There was more than that in the Valleys yesterday (about 10cm - even we had 2-3cm at sea level). Maybe the reporters are finally heeding their own advice and not travelling to the worst affected areas...
    That's fine. Just don't put the cameras where things aren't bad while saying things are bad. Maybe the cost savings can be put towards some proper reporting?

Oh, and some of those being interviewed were talking about stockpiling. That's what kicked off my first post.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    I’ve said it before but Charlie Stayt interviewing people. He’s like a TV news version of Carlton Kirby. Long winded questions that he then rephrases before an answer is given as though people are too thick to understand what he’s asking, interrupting answers etc. I get the feeling Cleverley didn’t like it much either.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    This weather *grumble grumble grumble*
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

There was more than that in the Valleys yesterday (about 10cm - even we had 2-3cm at sea level). Maybe the reporters are finally heeding their own advice and not travelling to the worst affected areas...
    That's fine. Just don't put the cameras where things aren't bad while saying things are bad. Maybe the cost savings can be put towards some proper reporting?

Oh, and some of those being interviewed were talking about stockpiling. That's what kicked off my first post.
    Yeah, the news coverage of it is OTT and that's probably what makes us a bit of a laughing stock. It always makes me laugh when they go to a coastal location when a storm is predicted and do that thing like that are talking over a raging hurricane when all the materialised was a bit of a stiff breeze.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

This weather *grumble grumble grumble*

Cold and grey, and now wet. Grrr.

Still, I guess that with your incapacity, at least you're not annoyed at missing lovely cycling weather. Yeah, I know that that's not much comfort...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Hearing about Gary Lineker.

It's not important, it's certainly should not be the leading item in any news bulletin.

If they get rid of the chat before and after every game, brilliant. Perhaps then the TV coverage will last just the length of the game instead of 3+ hours.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    capt_slog said:

It's not important...

[Devil's advocate]. It's about freedom of speech.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    pinno said:

capt_slog said:

It's not important...

[Devil's advocate]. It's about freedom of speech.

Fair enough, that bit is.

The older I get, the better I was.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    Sky Sports using logos instead of names for the scores. Imagine ot won't last long.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,925
    The Universe, how big it is and things. What's the point of it being so big? Where is all the intelligent matter, as well?

Oh yeah, dog $h1t on my shoes.
  • pinno

The Universe, how big it is and things. What's the point of it being so big? Where is all the intelligent matter, as well?

Oh yeah, dog $h1t on my shoes.

You've nailed the biggest crux's of all.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Sky Sports using logos instead of names for the scores. Imagine ot won't last long.

Oh man, that is really annoying. Brentford against Bournemouth for example - at a glance how am I supposed to know who's playing? It assumes everyone is absolutely consumed with interest in the minutiae of the sport.
  • TheBigBean

Oh man, that is really annoying. Brentford against Bournemouth for example - at a glance how am I supposed to know who's playing? It assumes everyone is absolutely consumed with interest in the minutiae of the sport.
    I'm intrigued who thought it could possibly be a good idea. A few years ago they gave every league team a two letter abbreviation. That didn't last long.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

I'm intrigued who thought it could possibly be a good idea. A few years ago they gave every league team a two letter abbreviation. That didn't last long.
    A good innovation is the little bit of colour on the scores that tells you which team is which. Is that just bbc?
  • TheBigBean

A good innovation is the little bit of colour on the scores that tells you which team is which. Is that just bbc?
    They all have some form of colour to show that.