Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    JimD666 said:

A zip? Didn't even know you could get them with zips! All button or poppers here

Of the current covers, one with poppers (I've had that one about 20 years, I reckon), one with zip, one with bl**dy buttons. Just why??
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Sometimes I’m staggered by the lack of culture/ class on here. How could one have the best Egyptian cotton quilt with a zip.
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

Sometimes I’m staggered by the lack of culture/ class on here. How could one have the best Egyptian cotton quilt with a zip.

I've never had class. Well, I do tie my own (silk) bow tie, and tie my shoes with a Berluti knot, but other than that, I'm an oik, to the extent that I quite like polycotton bedlinen.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Scandiwegian quilt covers are a bit more clever.

They have 2 slots cut into the corner of the bottom of the quilt so that you can reach in and pull the quilt.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

I've never had class. Well, I do tie my own (silk) bow tie, and tie my shoes with a Berluti knot, but other than that, I'm an oik, to the extent that I quite like polycotton bedlinen.
    Sounds a bit fur coat and no knickers to me.
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

webboo said:

Sounds a bit fur coat and no knickers to me.

Jeez, how did you know?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    pinno said:

They have 2 slots cut into the corner of the bottom of the quilt so that you can reach in and pull the quilt.

Duvet? What a great Ikea.
    I mean, do they? What a great idea.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

pinno said:

Boom boom.
  • pinno
    Look - i'm bored. TP wining SB was a highlight and the rest of the day won't come close. Not even my most excellent veggie curry with beer.
  • masjer
    pinno said:

masjer said:

pinno said:

Boom boom.
    Sorry, I was going to issue an apology with that.
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

pinno said:

masjer said:

pinno said:

Boom boom.
    Quilt while you're ahead
  • pinno
    edited March 2023

masjer said:

pinno said:

masjer said:

pinno said:

Boom boom.
    Quilt while you're ahead
    Yeah - we should send this conversation to bed.
  • masjer

masjer said:

pinno said:

masjer said:

pinno said:

Boom boom.
    Quilt while you're ahead
    Eiderdown-right will and put this to bed.
  • pinno
    1 min Masjer. I win :smile:
  • pinno
    Oh and I bought some photographic background vinyl so you are a free man.

It's non-reflective matte and makes me look like I know wots I am doing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Carveries or, more precisely, the animals (mainly fatties) you find eating in them. Order the large with 4 different meats and then play ‘who can pile the most food on a plate’ before then leaving loads of stuff uneaten.
  • briantrumpet
    Having a puncture then discovering that your pump doesn't work.

I probably ought to pop over to the cheering up thread to say that it cheers me up when the first house you call at someone has a track pump right at hand.

But then I rode back home again to pick up another spare inner tube and pump that did work, jut in case I got another puncture. Obviously I didn't, having done that and added 12 miles to my route. Not sure if that annoys me or not.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    And the 'solution' Mr BT is go tubeless. 😉 He sez pre-empting Monsieur Oxo.

But result on getting on the track pump pronto.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

The best track pump result was at about 1300m, near the Col de Menée... a friend had a blow-out on the hairpin on the descent, with another 700m of fast descending to do... there happened to be a car parked, with occupants, on the hairpin... just so happened he had a track pump in the boot of his car.
  • pinno

orraloon said:

The best track...
    C02.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    orraloon said:

Sorry, but you started it.

Is tubeless really necessary? I've had only a handful of punctures in dozens of years and only one ruined a ride completely (which was ultimately a lack of preparedness).

Plenty of horror stories with tubeless being unrepairable / a nightmare to repair / covering everything in gunk.

For fear of being a luddite, really not sure what the appeal is.

As for lower pressures, although i don't dispute the faster at lower pressures, my guess is that's partly due to the bikes having become so stiff they're vibration machines on unforgiving surfaces. Have a more forgiving frame, you don't need to soften the tyres as much.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

orraloon said:

Sorry, but you started it.

Is tubeless really necessary? I've had only a handful of punctures in dozens of years and only one ruined a ride completely (which was ultimately a lack of preparedness).

Plenty of horror stories with tubeless being unrepairable / a nightmare to repair / covering everything in gunk.

For fear of being a luddite, really not sure what the appeal is.

As for lower pressures, although i don't dispute the faster at lower pressures, my guess is that's partly due to the bikes having become so stiff they're vibration machines on unforgiving surfaces. Have a more forgiving frame, you don't need to soften the tyres as much.

I'm a luddite. I like things that I can at least have a chance of repairing at the roadside, if things go nipples up. Pump (preferably working), an inner tube or two, puncture repair kit if only one tube, tyre levers, boot.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    We-ell. 🤞 putting this up coz the PF might be trawling. In 4.5 years of tubeless on the summer roadie and 2.5 years on the graveller / winter bike I've had 1 flat, a glass slash on rear. Got the plugs to combine with the internal sealant enough to get inflated enough (pump 😉) to roll on home. I've seen evidence of spikes, thorns on road mayhap, but all got sealed enough to not notice such while on ride.

But each to their own.
  • pinno
    2.5 years on clinchers with latex tubes with no punctures.

Specialized won Flanders on clinchers last year.
    I'm happy with my set up; it's familiar, i'm not bothered about speed gains/losses, I can ride them at 65psi which is plenty comfy for me with a CF frame. I don't have to carry much.
    If you run tubeless and you have a flat that cannot be fixed for whatever reason, surely you have to carry a tube too?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    My computer keyboard that refuses to type all the letters I hit no matter how firmly I press the keys. Tried changing the batteries but that hasn't worked, it makes me look even more illiterate than I am!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I've definitely had free books before. Today I got a speculative invoice for £26 for three books.

not sure mine have ever got free books and this year definitely paid for them
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Carveries or, more precisely, the animals (mainly fatties) you find eating in them. Order the large with 4 different meats and then play ‘who can pile the most food on a plate’ before then leaving loads of stuff uneaten.

A carvery is a form of buffet so is catering for savages
  • pinno

Pross said:

Never been to one.
    (and now, I never will).
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

My computer keyboard that refuses to type all the letters I hit no matter how firmly I press the keys. Tried changing the batteries but that hasn't worked, it makes me look even more illiterate than I am!

Toast crumbs.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Pross said:

As you can't go to Simpsons on the strand, it's as freshly carved a roast as you'll get in a restaurant. Love it.