Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    rjsterry said:

People who dowse themselves in perfume and then go and sit on public transport. Now have a crashing headache.

Chuck in those that choose to eat smelly foods. I can never work out if they don’t consider it or just don’t care.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

People who dowse themselves in perfume and then go and sit on public transport. Now have a crashing headache.

Chuck in those that choose to eat smelly foods. I can never work out if they don’t consider it or just don’t care.

Does that include garlic? I might be guilty of that, on occasion...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Fresh garlic is OK. It’s the people who had garlic for lunch or the previous night before getting on a crowded bus or train who are a bigger menace.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Fresh garlic is OK. It’s the people who had garlic for lunch or the previous night before getting on a crowded bus or train who are a bigger menace.

Probably just as well that I cycle to work then.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    I probably reek of garlic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    rjsterry said:

I can sympathize with that. It's a real problem for me in any situation where you are unable to move away from the person.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    bm5 said:

rjsterry said:

I can sympathize with that. It's a real problem for me in any situation where you are unable to move away from the person.
    Just fart in their general direction. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

You only smell what you are used to. Now your daughter lives in a multicultural society you should experiment and see if she notices garlic on other people.

The Vietcong could find the US troops because of the strong smell of milk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

You only smell what you are used to. Now your daughter lives in a multicultural society you should experiment and see if she notices garlic on other people.

I'm guessing you missed the word 'not' from that. I don't notice the smell of garlic, but then I am blessed with a poor sense of smell.
  • pinno

Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Don't most far eastern people's say that westerners smell like milk?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    A guy in our office liberally douses himself in some vile smelling aftershave/cologne that lingers and lingers. It's choking when he walks into the room. I'm guessing it could be a cultural thing?
  • pinno
    Tashman said:

A guy in our office liberally douses himself in some vile smelling aftershave/cologne that lingers and lingers. It's choking when he walks into the room. I'm guessing it could be a cultural thing?

Is he flammable?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    pinno said:

Tashman said:

Is he flammable?
    Quite regularly tempted to find out but apparently it's frowned upon :(
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    Not that trivial but annoying it is.

'Our' effectively nationalised, gummint run energy sector and the Energy Price Guarantee.

With gas futures price back to pre Ukranian invasion levels and oil futures at level of 5 years ago, what's with ongoing retail price hikes?

And daily standing charges! Variable by region, I'm in a higher priced region, but a price jack of +22% from this quarter to next on electricity? Equates to £255 p.a.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

'Our' effectively nationalised, gummint run energy sector and the Energy Price Guarantee.

With gas futures price back to pre Ukranian invasion levels and oil futures at level of 5 years ago, what's with ongoing retail price hikes?

And daily standing charges! Variable by region, I'm in a higher priced region, but a price jack of +22% from this quarter to next on electricity? Equates to £255 p.a.

Ofgem seem to be MIA. The 'free market' seems to be utterly screwed when it comes to actually lowering prices.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    When trains are delayed they leave the ticket gates open at the stations so when people don't go through the hassle of 'tapping' out, they then can't claim their delay repay as there's no evidence which train they took.

Bastards. They'll check your ticket unless it costs them money.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

orraloon said:

Ofgem seem to be MIA. The 'free market' seems to be utterly screwed when it comes to actually lowering prices.
    Have a look here. It gives you a live price. Currently £250/MWh which is 25p/kWh. Power prices are not cheap right now.

https://www.electricinsights.co.uk/#/homepage?&_k=2vzp4f
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

orraloon said:

standing charges are a regressive tax.

Calculating the price cap quarterley was always going to fvck the fixed term deals but I can't remember why.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney said:

Tax take on whisky going up to 75%. I am definitely doing my bit for the economy.
    A bottle of whisky could cost £4.83 including VAT.

"The tax burden on the price of a bottle of whisky in the UK would rise from 70% to 75% from 1 August under the plans, Mr Littlejohn said.
    This would mean that of £15.42, the average price of a bottle of whisky in Scotland, £11.40 would go directly to the Treasury in taxation through duty and VAT, he explained."

Taking this further as I am flying abroad soon.
    How on earth can "Duty Free" be more expensive than the high street. Duty free my ar$e.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Tax take on whisky going up to 75%. I am definitely doing my bit for the economy.

"The tax burden on the price of a bottle of whisky in the UK would rise from 70% to 75% from 1 August under the plans, Mr Littlejohn said.
    This would mean that of £15.42, the average price of a bottle of whisky in Scotland, £11.40 would go directly to the Treasury in taxation through duty and VAT, he explained."

How on earth can "Duty Free" be more expensive than the high street. Duty free my ar$e.
    It is duty free. Not profit free.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Obviously. At that mark up it is a complete rip off. As whisky is expensive where I'm going I will simply pack a bottle from a supermarket instead.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    edited March 2023

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I guess it's like the goods that get VAT reduced (e.g. sanitary towels)... most of the saving goes to profits, rather than the consumer.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Trains in this country, an effin joke.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    The Tesco shopping app seems unable to accept my credit card.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,923
    Cyclists clogging up the roads, gawd!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Small dogs that think they're tougher than they really are.

• masjer
    The last bit of liquid hand soap that's left inside the pump action bottles. What can you do?
    Tip the bottle to the side and try desperately to pump out the remaining dregs. Unscrew the pump and invert the bottle, but the soap takes far too long to drain out. Add some water to dilute the soap, but then it's always too runny and just pours out.
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

One of the reasons I loved my long-dead old dog (collie X GSD) was the disdain with which he treated such rats-on-strings. There was a horrible one just around the corner who one time came running out aggressively at mine, ran round him two or three times barking manically, to which my dog just looked down at him with a "WTF is that?" look, at which point the ROAS whelped and ran back into his own garden, yapping as if he'd had a leg chewed off.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    masjer said:

We are looking after my daughters dogs who are small, 12 years old. One has very few teeth the other is so stiff in his shoulders he falls over when he is running. Yet they think they can take any other dog who gives then the wrong doggy signal.
    You don’t have put up with this with cats.
  • masjer

masjer said:

Rats-on-strings.
    I like that!