Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Pross said:

Carveries or, more precisely, the animals (mainly fatties) you find eating in them. Order the large with 4 different meats and then play ‘who can pile the most food on a plate’ before then leaving loads of stuff uneaten.

A carvery is a form of buffet so is catering for savages
    As you can't go to Simpsons on the strand, it's as freshly carved a roast as you'll get in a restaurant. Love it.

If you go to a carvery in a seaside town for old people (think Sidmouth), they can be very civilised, as the clientele tend to be rather less greedy, and if it's got a good turnover, everything is pretty fresh.

And if you are thinking I'm describing the Bowd Inn at Sidmouth @rjsterry, you'll be sad to know it closed suddenly and without explanation.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Pross said:

Carveries or, more precisely, the animals (mainly fatties) you find eating in them. Order the large with 4 different meats and then play ‘who can pile the most food on a plate’ before then leaving loads of stuff uneaten.

Once stayed in a hotel for work that had a carvery attached as it's restaurant. I took one look at the dried out chunks of meat under the heat lamps and asked what the vegetarian option was. The next night all of my colleagues decided they were vegetarian too.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Once stayed in a hotel for work that had a carvery attached as it's restaurant. I took one look at the dried out chunks of meat under the heat lamps and asked what the vegetarian option was. The next night all of my colleagues decided they were vegetarian too.

The beef gives away if they know what they're doing... unless it looks like a good vet would be in with a chance of bringing back to life, it's a no-no.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    I'm just a savage.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    To be fair the actual food at my local carvery is OK, it’s great for fitting a quick lunch on a busy Sunday before getting my daughter back on her bus to the big city. The problem is the disgusting habits of the people it attracts, one bloke yesterday was eating the meat with his fingers whilst queuing for the vegetables.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Why is it that carverys are only allowed in 1980s extensions to any pub, or in mock Tudor 1980s pubs?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    edited March 2023
    On of my kyboard lttrs suffrs with crumb infstation, but I can't rmmbr which.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

To be fair the actual food at my local carvery is OK, it’s great for fitting a quick lunch on a busy Sunday before getting my daughter back on her bus to the big city. The problem is the disgusting habits of the people it attracts, one bloke yesterday was eating the meat with his fingers whilst queuing for the vegetables.

How come you get to go to all the fun joints? The OAPs in Sidmouth just use knives and forks, and sit down to eat too.
  • briantrumpet
    masjer said:

On of my kyboard lttrs suffrs with crumb infstation, but I can't rmmbr which.

The other one, obvs. This one seems to be fine.
  • masjer
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it's working too well now.
  • Pross
    Could probably go in the irony thread but clearing up after my dog this morning I took step onto the verge and managed to tread in one another owner hadn't cleared away.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Ragey people not wanting to wear masks in hospitals.
  • rick_chasey
    Today’s hospital delay has been put down to the doctor being delayed by……a late running train!

But of course!
  • rick_chasey
    Update on the arm. Annoyingly, I think my elbow break recovery has given me a false sense of timings for these bone breaks.

At the time, after 4 weeks I was already using my elbow pretty normally bar lifting anything heavy. The US doctor at the time said it was the "fastest recovery [he]'d ever seen".

This shoulder is merely on track, which means another 3 weeks (so 6 in total) of not moving it very much and having it in a sling for most of the time. Eugh. 6 weeks of not moving your dominant arm is a serious faff.
  • Pross
    6 weeks is always what I'd assumed for a non-surgical break. That's what I had when I broke my wrists (both at the same time about a week into the summer holidays!). My already very puny arms at the time wasted away enough that by the end I could slide the cast off. Going to probably need a bit of rehab to get everything moving properly again once you heal too.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If I can get us back on track with actual trivial stuff…

Canal towpath at the bottom of our road.

Approx 20-30metre stretch with almost permanent puddles and squishy mud layer. Not going to lose a shoe in it but you aren’t going to pass it without getting filthy shoes.

Couple of weeks ago, half a dozen bags of hardcore appear. Walked along it today. Approx 100m of towpath resurfaced. Encompassing around 90 metres of already fine towpath and roughly 1/3rd of the muddy stretch.

It appears they have finished this section as there are workmen and bags of hardcore approx 400 metres further along.

Seriously can’t fathom how fucking stupid some things are.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    It's just started snowing.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

Sour puss.
    Wrong thread.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

Sour puss.
    Wrong thread.
    It's a trivial thing that annoyed me because I was about to take the dogs out.
  • pinno
    My dog loved the snow. Man up, put yer boots on and go.
    (Mrs KG might have to clean up afterwards and may bawl at you a bit but 'the dogs needed a walk')
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

My dog loved the snow. Man up, put yer boots on and go.
    (Mrs KG might have to clean up afterwards and may bawl at you a bit but 'the dogs needed a walk')

Not even good snow though.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Pross said:

As you can't go to Simpsons on the strand, it's as freshly carved a roast as you'll get in a restaurant. Love it.
    are you saying they do a carvery? if so consider me shocked
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023

Pross said:

are you saying they do a carvery? if so consider me shocked
    They bring the roast to your table and carve it for you. Or they did before they shut.

I mean in the absence of that, a decent carvery is pretty good.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097

Pross said:

If you go to a carvery in a seaside town for old people (think Sidmouth), they can be very civilised, as the clientele tend to be rather less greedy, and if it's got a good turnover, everything is pretty fresh.

And if you are thinking I'm describing the Bowd Inn at Sidmouth @rjsterry, you'll be sad to know it closed suddenly and without explanation.
    😬 Always was something funny about that place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,925
    I think I've got thread posting typers block. I can't even think what to say disparaging to the greatness deniers in the God thread.
  • pinno

I think I've got thread posting typers block. I can't even think what to say disparaging to the greatness deniers in the God thread.

A god thread?!

I'm heading there. I sent 2 Jehovah's witnesses packing last week.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Went for a nice afternoon spin today, since it was sunny and not windy (definitely not warm, but two out of three ain't bad). I realised much later on that, despite the risk of ice, I left without phone, ID, or money to get back home in case of an eventuality.

Go me.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

😬 Always was something funny about that place.

There's something funny about Sidmouth.
  • masjer
    drhaggis said:

Went for a nice afternoon spin today, since it was sunny and not windy (definitely not warm, but two out of three ain't bad). I realised much later on that, despite the risk of ice, I left without phone, ID, or money to get back home in case of an eventuality.

Go me.

And I thought that Shackleton’s survival story was impressive ;)
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    masjer said:

drhaggis said:

Go me.

And I thought that Shackleton’s survival story was impressive ;)
    This is why I posted in "trivial but annoying", not in "Edinburgh local goes to hell and back". It's just that I'd like to minimise the chances of having to depend on the charity of a 3rd pary.