Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

That st Pancras eurostar terminal was designed for a very different time.

What does that mean?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

What does that mean?
    Rather than being like a railway station, it's now got security checks like an airport and multiple passport checks jammed into a space that wasn't intended for it.
  • TheBigBean

What does that mean?
    Rather than being like a railway station, it's now got security checks like an airport and multiple passport checks jammed into a space that wasn't intended for it.
    Though presumably better than Waterloo?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Waterloo was really muddy. The French couldn't get their heavier canons over the soft ground.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,658

In Paris for work.

Bin collectors are on their 9th day of striking.

It’s rank out there. Just rubbish overflowing everywhere.

(Goes without saying I left an extra hour to get to St Pancreas because I don’t trust my train to London and indeed, it was a good job as when I got to Finsbury Park the entire line shut down, so I managed to get the tube for the final stretch. What a shambles. That was fun with my shoulder)

very lucky with the tube as the stations I have gone past are shuttered
    Happened yesterday
  • rick_chasey

In Paris for work.

Bin collectors are on their 9th day of striking.

It’s rank out there. Just rubbish overflowing everywhere.

(Goes without saying I left an extra hour to get to St Pancreas because I don’t trust my train to London and indeed, it was a good job as when I got to Finsbury Park the entire line shut down, so I managed to get the tube for the final stretch. What a shambles. That was fun with my shoulder)

It’s windy too. Blowing all the rubbish all over the streets
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092
    Halfwits who try to have 'private' conversations with other individuals via public tweets, then get sniffy when others join in. How do people still not understand the basic mechanism of Twitter.

Bit of that on here, too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

What does that mean?
    The problem is Brexit rather than a design fault
  • TheBigBean

What does that mean?
    How do you work that out?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited March 2023

What does that mean?
    That's at least part of it.
  • rick_chasey
    If the French staff were more helpful with the disabled the line would also move faster
  • rjsterry

If the French staff were more helpful with the disabled the line would also move faster

Lol.

(Other national stereotypes are available)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    edited March 2023

What does that mean?
    For anyone skiing it still manages to cope better than the airport at chambery.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

What does that mean?
    How do you work that out?
    They do not have the room to do the new passports process. They run less trains as they can’t get people through fast enough
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited March 2023
    Tax take on whisky going up to 75%. I am definitely doing my bit for the economy.
    A bottle of whisky could cost £4.83 including VAT.

"The tax burden on the price of a bottle of whisky in the UK would rise from 70% to 75% from 1 August under the plans, Mr Littlejohn said.
    This would mean that of £15.42, the average price of a bottle of whisky in Scotland, £11.40 would go directly to the Treasury in taxation through duty and VAT, he explained."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    A friend of mine who is in the whisky trade is pro scotland independence for that exact reason.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

A lot of driver assistance is more dangerous than not having it at all, because people drive presuming that something that works okay a lot of the time does so all of the time, and is only there to paper over
    carp driving.

Lane assist is covering up for people who are so bad at driving they can't stay in a lane. Blind spot assist is for people who have blind spots because they don't look around and eliminate them. Dynamic cruise control helps people pay less attention. Etc.

I find DCC a great addition to driving - makes me drive more slowly, more smoothly, saves fuel (and fewer emissions). I particularly like using it in areas with speed cameras and long journeys
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    pblakeney said:

Tax take on whisky going up to 75%. I am definitely doing my bit for the economy.

"The tax burden on the price of a bottle of whisky in the UK would rise from 70% to 75% from 1 August under the plans, Mr Littlejohn said.
    This would mean that of £15.42, the average price of a bottle of whisky in Scotland, £11.40 would go directly to the Treasury in taxation through duty and VAT, he explained."

I’m surprised how cheap the average bottle of whisky costs. It feels like it was that price a decade or two ago.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

I’m surprised how cheap the average bottle of whisky costs. It feels like it was that price a decade or two ago.
    I guess that comes down to the level of taxation.
    If production costs go up 25% it would only add £1 to the retail price, + tax natch.

I guess the comparison could be Prague where a bottle of beer costs less than a bottle of water (or did when I was there). Go figure.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Packs of wipes (cleaning wipes, wet wipes or whatever) that are packaged so that it’s impossible to just take one out and you end up with a whole bunch. It’s doesn’t seem to matter if they’re in a packet or a plastic tube where you pull them through a hole, they nearly always do it.

Also, my Sky box that for some reason always drops Wi-Fi connection and ends up buffering whilst streaming whereas all other devices connect fine from the same room.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    pblakeney said:

That average seems low!

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Pross said:

Packs of wipes (cleaning wipes, wet wipes or whatever) that are packaged so that it’s impossible to just take one out and you end up with a whole bunch. It’s doesn’t seem to matter if they’re in a packet or a plastic tube where you pull them through a hole, they nearly always do it.

Also, my Sky box that for some reason always drops Wi-Fi connection and ends up buffering whilst streaming whereas all other devices connect fine from the same room.

One reason I gave up on baby wipes for the bike, now I use a dishcloth with cleaning alcohol or similar, if I need to go nuclear.
  • pinno
    Baby wipes for your bike!
    Baby wipes are great for the environment.
    What's the matter with soap and water?
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Chain, and stubborn oil.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I don't know if I'm more annoyed that the infotainment system on the new car has completely died or that the stupid lane assist is one of the few things that still works.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Chain, and stubborn oil.
    Then use wax lube.
    If not, use a solvent - brake cleaner, drop pf petrol on a rag etc.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Chain, and stubborn oil.
    Then use wax lube.
    If not, use a solvent - brake cleaner, drop pf petrol on a rag etc.

That's what I do now.
  • rjsterry
    People who dowse themselves in perfume and then go and sit on public transport. Now have a crashing headache.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    edited March 2023
    rjsterry said:

People who dowse themselves in perfume and then go and sit on public transport. Now have a crashing headache.

Rep for a ground source pump company came around about 5 weeks ago to measure up.
    I think we were first on his list and he arrived at just after 9am.
    The house stank after. We had to open all the windows.

I wonder if these people sometimes have a very bad sense of smell and just pile it on.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’ve come across some smelly people in my time as I had to visit people with long term mental heath problems whose priority often wasn’t personal hygiene.
    Yet I’ve never been stunk out for more than a few moments with peoples cologne, also the cheaper the perfume the less it lasts.
    I just wonder when was the last time someone said to you two, “ Oh you smell nice”
    😂