Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    In a similar if more minor vein, having finally started to get some running fitness and motivation back I managed to twist an ankle on a mountain run yesterday. It was fine to do the 8 miles back but started to get sore and swell as soon as I stopped.

Hoping it will get better in a few days as I have my first target race of the year on Saturday.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Helmet manufacturers stating diameter, but never, ever, ever, the sort of shape they intend to fit. Except Giant... but I believe their round/oval fits are "region-locked". I mean, we all obviously have the same head shape, right?
  • If I can't see the Northern Lights.

This
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Why when doing intervals of a timed duration on the turbo do I pedal faster towards the end as so to get it over faster. 😂
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    drhaggis said:

Helmet manufacturers stating diameter, but never, ever, ever, the sort of shape they intend to fit. Except Giant... but I believe their round/oval fits are "region-locked". I mean, we all obviously have the same head shape, right?

Same with horse riding helmets. Apparently head shape something to do with our parents, and whether we were laid on our backs or sides.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Pross said:

In a similar if more minor vein, having finally started to get some running fitness and motivation back I managed to twist an ankle on a mountain run yesterday. It was fine to do the 8 miles back but started to get sore and swell as soon as I stopped.

Hoping it will get better in a few days as I have my first target race of the year on Saturday.

7 weeks ago I had 1/10 calf pain, didn't listen to my body, week later went to 8/10, car lift home. Trial run is 2 weeks away.
    You could be lucky. Take care.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

If I can't see the Northern Lights.

This
    Me too. Clouds all over it.

I'm using the Lancs University Aurora Watch to monitor the best times to look.

https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

Anyone using anything better/different?

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    edited February 2023
    There is a glendale app, though I haven't (yet) installed. I've been browsing FB posts in a local aurora fan group. Some comments about alerts not always coming through app.

https://aurora-alerts.uk/

Edited to add, now installed it, not on app store do it via website. Now to start learning...
  • Pross
    trekvet said:

Pross said:

7 weeks ago I had 1/10 calf pain, didn't listen to my body, week later went to 8/10, car lift home. Trial run is 2 weeks away.
    You could be lucky. Take care.
    Feeling much better today, sports massage tomorrow that I already had booked and then should be fine for a gentle leg stretcher on Thursday so looks like I got lucky.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    You know the Rule - measure twice, cut once. Measuring, marking, check measuring, cutting and finding you've got it wrong. Doh.

Cutting timbers to make the staging sections for my greenhouse project; one length short by 1cm, blame misreading tape measure in poor light in garage, one over by 10cm... eh? 20% failure rate... 🤨
  • British Cycling benefits get further eroded, Halfords now reduced from 10% to 8%, not looked at other site/store discounts. :'(

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Packs of yoghurt where the pots won’t separate from each other properly and when they finally do they take the lid of the adjacent pot with them.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    2 year ban implies this is trivial.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-64809523
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Yes but why do police chase?
    How many times does the offender stop. get out and say 'you got me'?
    They could follow at a distance - in an unmarked car.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

Without sight of him, and without a helicopter, he's getting away isn't he?
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2023
    Another, also trivial - "driver who chased and mowed down a young cyclist after her door mirror was accidentally clipped by his friend when she stopped sharply in front of them" - 12 month driving ban.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23352282.middlesbrough-motorist-knocked-teenage-cyclist-bike/
  • pinno

pinno said:

Without sight of him, and without a helicopter, he's getting away isn't he?
    With a car.
    Think about it.
    It's oh so very Daily Heil to demand that this thief is caught but as soon as the cops but the blue light on, 99 times out of 100, they speed up and in the process create far more danger than simply relying on other methods of identification such as catching them on say Motorway CCTV, helicopter, eye witnesses, when the car tuns out of juice, when it's abandoned etc.

It's only a car. Is it worth someone dies or gets seriously injured because the culprit put his foot down when they see a blue flashing light behind them?
  • pinno

Another, also trivial - "driver who chased and mowed down a young cyclist after her door mirror was accidentally clipped by his friend when she stopped sharply in front of them" - 12 month driving ban.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/23352282.middlesbrough-motorist-knocked-teenage-cyclist-bike/
    Not trivial.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Related to the miserable music thread - so many songs back in the day were badly recorded and mixed.

Remarkable how far production has come in the last decade and a half. These magicians make room for everything in the mix.

Old stuff just sounds so muddy half the time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Related to the miserable music thread - so many songs back in the day were badly recorded and mixed.

Remarkable how far production has come in the last decade and a half. These magicians make room for everything in the mix.

Some reading for you. This is commonly referred to as the loudness wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Related to the miserable music thread - so many songs back in the day were badly recorded and mixed.

This. ☝🏻.
    I've recently listened to a remastered/remixed version of Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason and was amazed by what had been 'lost' in the original mix (which I then listened to; to compare.)
    I'm saying this strictly in terms of production, and not in terms of quality; as it's not a great album to begin with; but it is improved by the new mix I think.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • rick_chasey
    I call people for a living.

"Yes Rick, I'd love to chat, when works"

"I have availability between x, y and z, do let me know the best number for me to call you on"

"Thanks Rick, let's speak at x"

"Thanks, Looking forward to it, Let me know the best number for me to call you on"

"Thanks, looking forward to it."

Every. Time.

I can't call you if you don't give me your number.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    Some of the best original rock and roll and motown tracks sounded as good as they were because of the poor sound levels. Vocal performances in particular.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603

"I have availability between x, y and z, do let me know the best number for me to call you on"

"Thanks, Looking forward to it, Let me know the best number for me to call you on"

Every. Time.

Phrase it differently if it fails to get results every time
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    No people need to use their brain for half a second.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537

Every. Time.

They're expecting a Teams invite.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

Every. Time.

lol then they'd need to give me their email :)

Loathe VCs. Either phone or in person. I find having to sit as still as you have to on a VC exhausting. So unnatural.
  • pblakeney

Every. Time.

How are they in communication if not phone, email or Teams?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Every. Time.

So the modern post-covid world, people get very upset if you email them out of the blue, and they expect you to use LinkedIn unless you know them well (and then you'd have their number anyway).

The old school method of calling them on the desk or emailing their work account, which before was the most effective way, now really upsets people.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Every. Time.

So the modern post-covid world, people get very upset if you email them out of the blue, and they expect you to use LinkedIn unless you know them well (and then you'd have their number anyway).

The old school method of calling them on the desk or emailing their work account, which before was the most effective way, now really upsets people.

They do? Quite frankly LinkedIn would be my last means of communication.
    Why would they get upset when they've asked you to contact them?
    Veronese68 wrote: