Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I call people for a living.

"Yes Rick, I'd love to chat, when works"

"I have availability between x, y and z, do let me know the best number for me to call you on"

"Thanks Rick, let's speak at x"

"Thanks, Looking forward to it, Let me know the best number for me to call you on"

"Thanks, looking forward to it."

Every. Time.

I can't call you if you don't give me your number.

Is that not the classic brush off. They don’t give you their number because they don’t want to talk.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    webboo said:

"I have availability between x, y and z, do let me know the best number for me to call you on"

"Thanks, Looking forward to it, Let me know the best number for me to call you on"

Every. Time.

Is that not the classic brush off. They don’t give you their number because they don’t want to talk.
    lol why go through the charade of arranging a time?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    webboo said:

Every. Time.

There is that. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Every. Time.

They're expecting a Teams invite.
    lol then they'd need to give me their email :)
    How are they in communication if not phone, email or Teams?
    So the modern post-covid world, people get very upset if you email them out of the blue, and they expect you to use LinkedIn unless you know them well (and then you'd have their number anyway).

The old school method of calling them on the desk or emailing their work account, which before was the most effective way, now really upsets people.

They do? Quite frankly LinkedIn would be my last means of communication.
    Why would they get upset when they've asked you to contact them?
    100%. Have been told off more than once by people for emailing their work.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I guess if it's about recruitment it's sub optimal to have that email in their work inbox.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

I guess if it's about recruitment it's sub optimal to have that email in their work inbox.

Pretty much.

TBH I leave messages from recruiters up on my screen when I leave my desk, especially when they're fibbing about very large pay numbers, but I guess we know the deal a bit more.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537

Every. Time.

Loathe VCs. Either phone or in person. I find having to sit as still as you have to on a VC exhausting. So unnatural.
    I think you've lost the battle on that one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    Maybe accept that they don't want to talk to you and were just trying to be polite.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Every. Time.

How are they in communication if not phone, email or Teams?
    So the modern post-covid world, people get very upset if you email them out of the blue, and they expect you to use LinkedIn unless you know them well (and then you'd have their number anyway).

The old school method of calling them on the desk or emailing their work account, which before was the most effective way, now really upsets people.

They do? Quite frankly LinkedIn would be my last means of communication.
    Why would they get upset when they've asked you to contact them?
    100%. Have been told off more than once by people for emailing their work.
    Totally understandable. Which will be why I only provide personal contact details to recruiters, not work ones. No personal details? They don't want to chat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    edited March 2023

Pretty much.

TBH I leave messages from recruiters up on my screen when I leave my desk, especially when they're fibbing about very large pay numbers, but I guess we know the deal a bit more.
    If people leave their desk here with their computer unlocked, they are likely to be (kindly) pranked, but I work for a plc and about 1/2 of what we do has share price implications on us or our funds.

The behaviour you describe is petty, at best. Even blaming others for not understanding what you are asking for displays a shocking lack of self-awareness. The fact that you have to do it routinely means it's your fault, not theirs.
  • rick_chasey

Every. Time.

Loathe VCs. Either phone or in person. I find having to sit as still as you have to on a VC exhausting. So unnatural.
    I dunno, the appetite for meetings has picked up a lot this year.

Suits me too, I am better in person that on VC.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Every. Time.

I undertsand why you might hate venture capitalists that would want to sit on them but why is it so important to remain still?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701

Pretty much.

If people leave their desk here with their computer unlocked, they are likely to be (kindly) pranked, but I work for a plc and about 1/2 of what we do has share price implications on us or our funds.

The behaviour you describe is petty, at best. Even blaming others for not understanding what you are asking for displays a shocking lack of self-awareness. The fact that you have to do it routinely means it's your fault, not theirs.
    At the super high end level RC operates at, potential recruits may also have people managing their emails.

Even at my level there are at least 4 other attorneys who can see mine, for when I'm on leave.
  • shirley_basso
    Oh - I am not disputing that, at all.

What I am saying is that it is childish to leave inbound recruitment emails open with salaries open while away from your desk.

The latter point was related to his gripe on the prior page that 'no-one' seems to understand him, yet he is too stubborn to change his approach, and blames everyone else.
  • TheBigBean
    edited March 2023

What I am saying is that it is childish to leave inbound recruitment emails open with salaries open while away from your desk.

The latter point was related to his gripe on the prior page that 'no-one' seems to understand him, yet he is too stubborn to change his approach, and blames everyone else.

People do seem to be incapable of answering two questions in a single email. It's tricky if you have two questions needing answering. Bullet points seem to be the most effective.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

People do seem to be incapable of answering two questions in a single email. It's tricky if you have two questions needing answering. Bullet points seem to be the most effective.

My favourite is when people ask a question replying to an email where you have already answered the question.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

but if you want a paper trail to show somebody they were told then point 4 on an email does the job
  • TheBigBean

but if you want a paper trail to show somebody they were told then point 4 on an email does the job
    That's the sort of thinking that would get you employed in the financial sector.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,098
    edited March 2023

Every. Time.

We get this a lot. Even when we have a box for a phone number on the enquiry form. The difference is that they have approached us asking for a call back.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Every. Time.

We get this a lot. Even when we have a box for a phone number on the enquiry form.
    I love enquiry forms. It is a perfect way to ensure that the sender doesn't have a record of what they've sent or when they sent it, and that they cannot send follow ups from the same enquiry weeks later that show the reader how long they've been waiting.

You can't have too many enquiry forms in my book.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

My favourite is when people ask a question replying to an email where you have already answered the question.
    I often get that, I particularly like it when it's from the arsecoveringtwat in sales that copies managers in everything thinking it'll get him the answer he wants. I just tell him to read the email again properly, still copying in the management. He does this regularly and still hasn't learnt to read.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Every. Time.

We get this a lot. Even when we have a box for a phone number on the enquiry form.
    I love enquiry forms. It is a perfect way to ensure that the sender doesn't have a record of what they've sent or when they sent it, and that they cannot send follow ups from the same enquiry weeks later that show the reader how long they've been waiting.

Actually, thinking about it, it's the people who just email directly that tend to not include any details. We always email back, but it's better to talk.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Every. Time.

Actually, thinking about it, it's the people who just email directly that tend to not include any details. We always email back, but it's better to talk.
    And the other thing is thst an enquiry form enables you to go to the back of the queue more easily when raising a new enquiry for the second time.

They are great that way.
  • rjsterry
    Sounds like you're describing a complaints form.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Sounds like you're describing a complaints form.

No that's another form, but you need to be a customer first.
  • TheBigBean
    People who don't put their phone numbers on the bottom of emails.

People who don't give out their direct line numbers.

World book day.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    When I buy stuff and the vendor generates a (paid) tax invoice for reference and warranty...

Pay by card, and they *always* staple the EFTPOS receipt to the invoice, inevitably at some random spot on it which makes a neat fold to put away pretty much impossible. I wish the pay terminal folks would make the default setting to print that thing OFF, and if anybody actually wanted it (WHY???) they could stamp their foot and ask.

NNNNGGNGGGG.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    Why does the co-op put the smokey bacon walkers crisps next to the prawn cocktail?

Practically the same colour.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

World book day.

Why?

My daughters might disagree with you there as they get free books on world book day.
    ...and they like books.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    pinno said:

World book day.

Why?

My daughters might disagree with you there as they get free books on world book day.
    ...and they like books.

The dressing up stuff.