Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Not trivial - Your vote has never been private and the parties know your voting history.

That's not true.
    Then tell me why all polling cards have unique numbers on them that are also on the voting register and why I get letters from parties that I have voted for in the past asking why I didn't vote for them last time.
    It's a guess. You have an electoral roll number which is used to check that you haven't already voted. To know who you voted for, they would need to ask you. Your electoral roll number is not written on the ballot paper.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Not trivial - Your vote has never been private and the parties know your voting history.

That's not true.
    Then tell me why all polling cards have unique numbers on them that are also on the voting register and why I get letters from parties that I have voted for in the past asking why I didn't vote for them last time.
    My guess would be that you didn't give the party's guy who stood at the door your number, so they think you didn't vote at all.

The parties do not know who you vote for.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Oh stop it. It is the same reason they put nanobots in the covid vaccine.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    It's a guess. You have an electoral roll number which is used to check that you haven't already voted. To know who you voted for, they would need to ask you. Your electoral roll number is not written on the ballot paper.
    Last time I voted in person there was a number on my card that replicated the number against my name on the role. Every postal vote has a number on it, as well as my ID.
    Try taking a look at your card and the electoral role next time you vote. Might have changed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I mentioned before that some animal keeps cr@pping on our front lawn. I went and checked this morning as it is pretty dry and clear of frost, there were around 10 piles on a lawn that is around 15m2. It's definitely some kind of domestic animal doing it and if it's a cat then it is a big one as each pile is at least as big as our small cockerpoo does. I might get a camera to see what is doing it and if it is a dog I'll bag up future deposits to dump on the owner's driveway and / or let my dog out to play on the lawn when it is out there.

It will not be a cat. They poo on loose ground and cover it up, unless there's a medical issue.

If there aren't seeds or bones in it, you can also rule out foxes and badgers.

What does that leave? Oh yes, dogs, as always.

My suggestion is a wildlife cam. Or hide in the bushes to catch them at it.

My wife did something along those lines once (albeint from the warmth of the spare room window) then cleared up about a buckets worth, and left the bucket full of poo in plain sight with a picture of the dog taped to it. Didn't happen again.
  • pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Last time I voted in person there was a number on my card that replicated the number against my name on the role. Every postal vote has a number on it, as well as my ID.
    Try taking a look at your card and the electoral role next time you vote. Might have changed.
    This has always been the same, and the parties have never had access to the votes.

Read the electoral commission website if you want to know facts.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    This has always been the same, and the parties have never had access to the votes.

Just put me down as cynical. I'm happy with that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

I mentioned before that some animal keeps cr@pping on our front lawn. I went and checked this morning as it is pretty dry and clear of frost, there were around 10 piles on a lawn that is around 15m2. It's definitely some kind of domestic animal doing it and if it's a cat then it is a big one as each pile is at least as big as our small cockerpoo does. I might get a camera to see what is doing it and if it is a dog I'll bag up future deposits to dump on the owner's driveway and / or let my dog out to play on the lawn when it is out there.

It will not be a cat. They poo on loose ground and cover it up, unless there's a medical issue.

We have a neighbour's cat that insists on taking a dump on our lawn so I wouldn't rule out cats completely.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.

Cynical like qanon cynical, or the sane type of cynical?
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    I think you're just agreeing with what I wrote.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Quite the opposite. My roll number was on my ballot paper. That is why I became cynical.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.

Cynical like qanon cynical, or the sane type of cynical?
    That's definitely on the way towards conspiracy theory.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Quite the opposite. My roll number was on my ballot paper. That is why I became cynical.
    Think about the process of getting hold of sealed collections of ballot papers, manually going through them and reallocating these to electoral roll information, all without anyone finding out, just so you can send someone a standard flyer. It's not going to happen. They just guessed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Pross said:

My wife did something along those lines once (albeint from the warmth of the spare room window) then cleared up about a buckets worth, and left the bucket full of poo in plain sight with a picture of the dog taped to it. Didn't happen again.
    Cats will poo on other cats territory and not cover it up. It’s a sort “I’m here and what are you going to do about it” thing
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Think about the process of getting hold of sealed collections of ballot papers, manually going through them and reallocating these to electoral roll information, all without anyone finding out, just so you can send someone a standard flyer. It's not going to happen. They just guessed.
    Completely this. My wife has done the counting in the past and there's no time to record any data like this. it's all about just counting the papers with the marks in the relevant boxes.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Tashman said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Completely this. My wife has done the counting in the past and there's no time to record any data like this. it's all about just counting the papers with the marks in the relevant boxes.
    . . . but it does mean that your ballot is actually not secret which I thought was fairly fundamental to our electoral system . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

Pross said:

Cats will poo on other cats territory and not cover it up. It’s a sort “I’m here and what are you going to do about it” thing
    That's very rare.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    edited February 2023

Pross said:

Yes, it certainly seems more like a dog but I've only once seen one loose in the street (a few days ago but it was the right sort of size). I've noticed a big pile outside the owners driveway before so maybe it did it elsewhere and the affected person dumped it there. I might get a wildlife camera as it was something I was thinking about anyway. It's definitely something that eats dry food. I'm just surprised my dog hasn't noticed it as he goes mental whenever he sees a cat in the garden and really does think he's top dog in the street so barks at any others he sees on his turf.
  • rjsterry

Tashman said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    . . . but it does mean that your ballot is actually not secret which I thought was fairly fundamental to our electoral system . . .
    I think you may be muddling your electoral roll number with the serial number on the ballot paper. Your electoral roll number should not be on the ballot paper: just on the counterfoil, which doesn't go into the ballot box. If it is you should raise this with somebody - I would guess the Electoral Commission for starters.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Tashman said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    I think you may be muddling your electoral roll number with the serial number on the ballot paper. Your electoral roll number should not be on the ballot paper: just on the counterfoil, which doesn't go into the ballot box. If it is you should raise this with somebody - I would guess the Electoral Commission for starters.
    They write your ballot number next to your electoral roll number on the list.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Tashman said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    They write your ballot number next to your electoral roll number on the list.
    Yes, was trying to remember the order from the last election. So to find how a person voted you would need to look at that list then find the one ballot paper with the corresponding number out of tens of thousands.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Yes, it certainly seems more like a dog but I've only once seen one loose in the street (a few days ago but it was the right sort of size). I've noticed a big pile outside the owners driveway before so maybe it did it elsewhere and the affected person dumped it there. I might get a wildlife camera as it was something I was thinking about anyway. It's definitely something that eats dry food. I'm just surprised my dog hasn't oticed it as he goes mental whenever he sees a cat in the garden and really does think he's top dog in the street so barks at any others he sees on his turf.
    Those cameras are cheap, a bit unrealiable but fun. We've caught all sorts of cat fun, badgers, fox, stoat, hedgehog and multiples thereof with ours. My mum hasn't had such luck - lots of birds and rabbits, but there's always the hope.

They munch batteries though, I warn you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Not sure I’d get much other than cats and possibly the odd hedgehog. I can walk a few hundred metres into open countryside where I see foxes occasionally but they must have plenty of food as they never come scavenging and we did have a massive flock of sheep on a neighbour’s drive a few years ago after they escaped from nearby farmland.

I did see a stoat in my back garden in broad daylight a few years ago too. I went out to try to get a photo and instead found a dead rabbit with its eyes missing, the stoat must have stalked it into my garden then killed it. I had to clear it away before my daughter, who had recently had her pet rabbit die, came home and saw it!
  • Going to bed early because cream crackered, but then cannot settle, partly due to the regular nightly acid reflux... I've taken more Rennie in the last month or so than the rest of my life.

Apparently long covid GERD is a thing.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

Going to bed early because cream crackered, but then cannot settle, partly due to the regular nightly acid reflux... I've taken more Rennie in the last month or so than the rest of my life.

Have seen the GP? (Sorry, not trying to be funny.) If it's a recognised thing, they might put you on omeprazole, if it's disrupting your life, and TBH, you don't want long-term acid reflux, as that can lead onto other things.

• Have seen the GP? (Sorry, not trying to be funny.) If it's a recognised thing, they might put you on omeprazole, if it's disrupting your life, and TBH, you don't want long-term acid reflux, as that can lead onto other things.

Think it's possibly time to try and get an appointment before the end of February!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091

Have seen the GP? (Sorry, not trying to be funny.) If it's a recognised thing, they might put you on omeprazole, if it's disrupting your life, and TBH, you don't want long-term acid reflux, as that can lead onto other things.

Think it's possibly time to try and get an appointment before the end of February!
    I have been on Omeprezole for some 3 years.
    Rennie is okay but get some pink ant-acid from your local pharmacy or supermarket (Gaviscon equivalent). It's far cheaper than Gaviscon but does exactly the same job.
    A much better alternative to Rennie, especially last thing before bed.
    I was getting headaches, I had fatigue had a terrible cough first thing in the morning and when I did eventually get to the doctor, he told me that I wouldn't be absorbing/digesting food properly and that was causing the listlessness.
    (I had a post operative peptic ulcer. General anaestheic can do that).
    The transformation to sleep and energy levels since being diagnosed and managing food has been transformative:

Don't:

Eat too late. I have a cut off of 9.30pm. Food sat in your stomach when lying down exacerbates the reflux
    Eat too much acid food. I have cut out 95% of all things fried.
    Eat less sugary foods. I don't have sugar on cereals or tea or in coffee. I no longer take Haribo out on a ride with me.
    I drink 1 cup of coffee per day max (the other times, it's decaf and Latte's too - the milk cancels the coffee acidity).
    Avoid acid foodstuffs like Lemon and tomatoes, butter etc

I have got to the point where I am having a spot of Lemon on fish say and the odd bit of tomato things have improved so much.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023

Going to bed early because cream crackered, but then cannot settle, partly due to the regular nightly acid reflux... I've taken more Rennie in the last month or so than the rest of my life.

As above, I've been on omeprezole since I was 25.

Cycling, unfortunately, is not good for acid reflux because of the bent-over position on the bike.

You can buy it over the counter (nexium is the brand IIRC) but it's about a £1 per day so getting on prescription is a lot cheaper.

FWIW, for me to get that prescription, I underwent some very invasive tests, including camera down the throat.

Cut down on any acidic or fatty foods and try not to eat too near bed time.

For me, alcohol is the worst, but anything greasy - burgers, pizza - anything fun basically - makes it a lot worse.

Lots of greens, lots of water.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Oh, and don't sleep on your right side.

Left side is best. Something to do with the anatomy of how the oesophagus joins the stomach.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    My wife has started buying hot cross buns, not an annoyance in itself even if it is a little early. She eats them cold, the clue's in the bloody name.