drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

The CX thread brought to memory my "favourite" F1 rule. The value of Pi:

In calculating engine cubic capacity, the number Pi
    shall be 3.1416

Source (Article 5.1.5). This is wrong on sooo many levels, and I'm not even a mathematician.
    You read that?!
    Of course not! It has zero quantum mechanics on it...

I read something to that effect about 10 years ago, either in a technical F1 forum or at the official F1 website, which was then confirmed with google's help. I am negatively surprised it's still there for the 2026 regulations.
    I am struggling to see where your objection comes from.

Presumably somewhere along the line, someone has tried rounding down to 3.14 to get a slightly larger engine capacity.

And before anyone queries, this is exactly how it would work, to justify a larger dispacement and compression ratio.
    Is pi 3.14? No. Should that team be disqualified for building oversized engines? Probably.

My objection is that there is zero reason to force a rational value of Pi. The value that's been on pocket calculators since the 70's is more than good enough. And before you complain about poinless precision and errors, the manufacturing process is going to have an error. The FIA measuring process is going to have an error of what, 0.01 mm? On something measuring about 100 mm? There you have it, pi to 8 s.f and no longer an issue.

Next I know, 1/3 = 0.3333. By that logic, 3/3 is not 1 anymore...
    Well there literally is a reason to force a rational value as explained above, and its the same as many other of the F1 rules - cheating.

I can't think of a scanario where 1/3 would cause an issue, but perhaps Adrian Newey just hasn't thought of where to use it yet.
    The thing is, 3.1416 is not even exactly representable in binary. It's just a poor choice.
    I came to see what’s annoying and just got confused. Why would someone need to represent 3.1416 in binary ?
    In case someone wanted to do normal operations in a computer (i.e. floating point arithmetic).
    Thanks. I can add that to my list of stuff I never hope to need to understand !
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Look Mum No Hands has had to close, which is a shame.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    rjsterry said:

More details

https://bikebiz.com/london-cycle-cafe-look-mum-no-hands-announces-closure/

I liked the idea, but never had much joy in the place.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

rjsterry said:

More details

https://bikebiz.com/london-cycle-cafe-look-mum-no-hands-announces-closure/

I liked the idea, but never had much joy in the place.
    Must say that I agree. Popped in for a coffee and found it pretty soulless.
    Maybe different on a race day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    The idea that being busy at work is a good thing. I like an easy life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

In professional services busy should mean £££
  • TheBigBean

In professional services busy should mean £££
    As I said, I like an easy life
  • rick_chasey
    I know but see it as a “I’m making lots of money” brag and it makes more sense.
  • pblakeney

I know but see it as a “I’m making lots of money” brag and it makes more sense.

There used to be a comedy skit about that. He was the butt of the joke.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    Here’s hoping it’s trivial.

In A&E.

Bike slid out from under me. Lotta skin gone on the left, and I can’t currently lift my left arm forwards and my left hip ligaments hurt when I lift my left leg up.

Managed to cycle the bike home and clean myself up so I’m a little comfortable in context,
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    Get well soon Rick, hope it's trivial.
  • rick_chasey

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

Think it’s ok. Felt a bit wobbly on the way home but couldn’t tell if that was me or it.

Will take a look another time.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

Think it’s ok. Felt a bit wobbly on the way home but couldn’t tell if that was me or it.

Sounds painful but as you seem to be OK I suppose I can ask what tyres you had on your bike, given you warned me off my current very slippy ones...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    edited February 2023
    Hope it's nothing serious Rick, the bike and you
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

It's probably not the time to suggest you take yourself to A&E if you've got any doubts about ouchy bits. Sounds like it might be too big an area to cover with Tegaderm or similar, but well worth it if you can, and can get big enough dressings... stops the stinging.

Anyway, I hope anything is superficial and that you recover quickly.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023

In A&E.

Hopefully a speedy recovery.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

Sounds painful but as you seem to be OK I suppose I can ask what tyres you had on your bike, given you warned me off my current very slippy ones...
    Haha. I spotted the oil on the road after the fact so I think most people at my speed would have gone down.

Conti GP5000s
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

In A&E.

Hopefully a speedy recovery.

I ought to learn to read. Good luck with the wait & any treatment required, RC.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

Haha. I spotted the oil on the road after the fact so I think most people at my speed would have gone down.

Conti GP5000s
    Ah, OK. Hope its not too painful, I did that myself a few years ago on the commute.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

Conti GP5000s
    Ah, OK. Hope its not too painful, I did that myself a few years ago on the commute.

I ride like a complete wuss at this time of year, especially after all the road grit that makes treated roads into skating rinks at the best of times... add in oil as well, and they are a nightmare. Even riding like a wuss I managed to slide on the gentlest of corners a couple of years ago. Can't remember the tyres...
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Hopefully it is trivial.

How is the bike?

Conti GP5000s

I ride like a complete wuss at this time of year, especially after all the road grit that makes treated roads into skating rinks at the best of times... add in oil as well, and they are a nightmare. Even riding like a wuss I managed to slide on the gentlest of corners a couple of years ago. Can't remember the tyres...
    I'm fairly careful myself as I know how much it hurts if it goes pear shaped. Some of the lanes round here can be quite tricky with water, soil, grit and gravel etc - especially the steep ones.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Having been dry for a while makes it worse when it does get damp, been a bit drizzly here today after quite a long dry spell. Not that there's any chance of me getting out due to sore hip and covid combined, hopefully both will be good soon
  • briantrumpet

Having been dry for a while makes it worse when it does get damp, been a bit drizzly here today after quite a long dry spell. Not that there's any chance of me getting out due to sore hip and covid combined, hopefully both will be good soon

Yeah, needs a good drenching to wash the roads now. And judging by car number plates, a lot of people need to wash their cars now before they rot away from the salt.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    That’s a bit cr*p Rick I hope it’s not too bad.
  • rick_chasey
    Broken shoulder. Proper break but not displaced so 4 weeks in a sling.

Really shouldn’t have cycled home…
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Tough going there RC. Best wishes.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    F*ck that’s bad Rick. I hope you can bounce back quickly no pun intended.
  • briantrumpet

Broken shoulder. Proper break but not displaced so 4 weeks in a sling.

Really shouldn’t have cycled home…

Arsicles. Bad luck. Just as well you got it checked straight away.

I hope you mend quickly & well.