Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Baths that don't have handles to help me get in and out!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    pangolin said:

Just Baths really, they're never big enough to comfortably fit in
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Tashman said:

pangolin said:

Ours is, for me at any rate, got an extra long and deep bath. Unfortunately the trouble complains her toes don't reach the end and she winds up bobbing about.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Tashman said:

pangolin said:

Ours is, for me at any rate, got an extra long and deep bath. Unfortunately the trouble complains her toes don't reach the end and she winds up bobbing about.
    Did Andy use a similar sized bath?
    This is the hard hitting questions the Telegraph should ask. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023

Tashman said:

pangolin said:

Big baths take too long to fill up.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited February 2023
    The CX thread brought to memory my "favourite" F1 rule. The value of Pi:
    In calculating engine cubic capacity, the number Pi
    shall be 3.1416

Source (Article 5.1.5). This is wrong on sooo many levels, and I'm not even a mathematician.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

Tashman said:

pangolin said:

Big baths take too long to fill up.

Any-sized bath takes too long to fill up with a multipoint. I've probably had about a dozen baths in 30 years in Topsham, and none in ten years in France, as I've only got a shower there. If I'm in a hotel, I might just have a bath if I can be bothered to waste the time, but I get bored after about 5 minutes of soaking, so it just seems like a waste.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Weather forecasters saying things like: "And tomorrow's temperature will be four to six degrees". When I heard it the other day, it sounded like she said "forty six degrees".

If she would have said: And tomorrow's temperature will be between four and six degrees", I would have been more comfortable with it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

Source (Article 5.1.5). This is wrong on sooo many levels, and I'm not even a mathematician.
    You read that?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    de_sisti said:

Weather forecasters saying things like: "And tomorrow's temperature will be four to six degrees". When I heard it the other day, it sounded like she said "forty six degrees".

If she would have said: And tomorrow's temperature will be between four and six degrees", I would have been more comfortable with it.

Seems ^ perfectly within regulation.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    edited February 2023
    de_sisti said:

I had the same thing with time, once: telling a fellow musician that the rehearsal would be "10 to 1", getting a really weird look back, then the comment that "That's a bit precise, isn't it?", then the realisation that I meant 10am until 1pm.

I was so pleased with myself one time for immediately hearing, at a French supermarket till, "Quatre-vingt-sept" and getting that it was 87...

...then thinking that that seemed really cheap, and twigging that the bästard had fooled me by missing out one crucial word... quatre *euros*, vingt-sept.

• drhaggis
    pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!
    Of course not! It has zero quantum mechanics on it...

I read something to that effect about 10 years ago, either in a technical F1 forum or at the official F1 website, which was then confirmed with google's help. I am negatively surprised it's still there for the 2026 regulations.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!

I read something to that effect about 10 years ago, either in a technical F1 forum or at the official F1 website, which was then confirmed with google's help. I am negatively surprised it's still there for the 2026 regulations.
    I am struggling to see where your objection comes from.

Presumably somewhere along the line, someone has tried rounding down to 3.14 to get a slightly larger engine capacity.

And before anyone queries, this is exactly how it would work, to justify a larger dispacement and compression ratio.
  • pinno
    edited February 2023
    I am sure that there are no regs regarding compression ratios but yes, what would be the leeway with pi; to how many decimal places?

pi: 3.14159265359
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

I am sure that there are no regs regarding compression ratios but yes, what would be the leeway with pi; to how many decimal places?

No, the point being is that if you round Pi down, you under calculate overall displacement. The aim of which, all other things being equal, is to also increase compression ratio.

Lowering pi is a lot easier than redesigning the cylinder head.
  • drhaggis

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!

Presumably somewhere along the line, someone has tried rounding down to 3.14 to get a slightly larger engine capacity.

And before anyone queries, this is exactly how it would work, to justify a larger dispacement and compression ratio.
    Is pi 3.14? No. Should that team be disqualified for building oversized engines? Probably.

My objection is that there is zero reason to force a rational value of Pi. The value that's been on pocket calculators since the 70's is more than good enough. And before you complain about poinless precision and errors, the manufacturing process is going to have an error. The FIA measuring process is going to have an error of what, 0.01 mm? On something measuring about 100 mm? There you have it, pi to 8 s.f and no longer an issue.

Next I know, 1/3 = 0.3333. By that logic, 3/3 is not 1 anymore...
  • First.Aspect
    edited February 2023
    drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!

Is pi 3.14? No. Should that team be disqualified for building oversized engines? Probably.

My objection is that there is zero reason to force a rational value of Pi. The value that's been on pocket calculators since the 70's is more than good enough. And before you complain about poinless precision and errors, the manufacturing process is going to have an error. The FIA measuring process is going to have an error of what, 0.01 mm? On something measuring about 100 mm? There you have it, pi to 8 s.f and no longer an issue.

Well there literally is a reason to force a rational value as explained above, and its the same as many other of the F1 rules - cheating.

I can't think of a scanario where 1/3 would cause an issue, but perhaps Adrian Newey just hasn't thought of where to use it yet.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    edited February 2023
    You lot will never make mathematicians. Just quote the min/max/whatever volume in π. I assumed this was drhaggis's objection. I'm now disappointed.
  • First.Aspect

You lot will never make mathematicians. Just quote the min/max/whatever volume in π. I assumed this was drhaggis's objection. I'm now disappointed.

As much as I would like to agree, someone will have been caught with a 3.05L engine or something like that, and used a misleading calculation to try to get off the hook. They'll have been found in breach of the regs, unless it was Ferrari, and they will have closed of the rule the following year.

If it was Ferrari they'll have just been asked nicely over dinner not to do it again. And to pay for dinner.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

As much as I would like to agree, someone will have been caught with a 3.05L engine or something like that, and used a misleading calculation to try to get off the hook. They'll have been found in breach of the regs, unless it was Ferrari, and they will have closed of the rule the following year.

If it was Ferrari they'll have just been asked nicely over dinner not to do it again. And to pay for dinner.
    I think it's Red Bull who do most of the spending on big dinners....
  • pinno

pinno said:

No, the point being is that if you round Pi down, you under calculate overall displacement. The aim of which, all other things being equal, is to also increase compression ratio.

'The aim... is to also increase the compression ratio.' ?

You're nuts.

The aim... is to increase displacement.

You alter compression ratios by what is most mechanically efficient, fuel efficient and (in F1) what produces the most power.
    Simply increasing the compression ratio will not increase power. You have the durability of the engine to consider. The higher the compression, the higher the forces. There are multiple factors.
    You alter compression by altering the length of the con rod/crank shaft lobes.
    You alter the displacement by altering cylinder size/cylinder head capacity - that's the argument.

F1 engines use compression ratios around 12-13:1 (max 17:1 as per wiki) as F1 engines use very short strokes it is difficult to reach a high compression without blocking the combustion chamber and the flow around the valves.

If you could increase the compression ratio at will then they would be 50:1, 60:1 who knows? Ultra ultra lean burn too!
    We could have engines running 2000 miles on just one tank of your methanous farts.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pinno said:

'The aim... is to also increase the compression ratio.' ?

You're nuts.

The aim... is to increase displacement.

You alter compression ratios by what is most mechanically efficient, fuel efficient and (in F1) what produces the most power.
    Simply increasing the compression ratio will not increase power. You have the durability of the engine to consider. The higher the compression, the higher the forces. There are multiple factors.
    You alter compression by altering the length of the con rod/crank shaft lobes.
    You alter the displacement by altering cylinder size/cylinder head capacity - that's the argument.

F1 engines use compression ratios around 12-13:1 (max 17:1 as per wiki) as F1 engines use very short strokes it is difficult to reach a high compression without blocking the combustion chamber and the flow around the valves.

If you could increase the compression ratio at will then they would be 50:1, 60:1 who knows? Ultra ultra lean burn too!
    We could have engines running 2000 miles on just one tank of your methanous farts.
    I'm just explaining a complex issue by saying "all other factors being equal". Give your thumbs a rest.
  • drhaggis

drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!

Well there literally is a reason to force a rational value as explained above, and its the same as many other of the F1 rules - cheating.

I can't think of a scanario where 1/3 would cause an issue, but perhaps Adrian Newey just hasn't thought of where to use it yet.
    The thing is, 3.1416 is not even exactly representable in binary. It's just a poor choice.
  • pinno

I'm just explaining a complex issue by saying "all other factors being equal". Give your thumbs a rest.

I am aware of that but you are mixing things up as if there is direct correlation between compression ratio's and displacement.

You can have small capacity engines with low compression.
    You can have high capacity engines with high compression.

• First.Aspect
    pinno said:

I am aware of that but you are mixing things up as if there is direct correlation between compression ratio's and displacement.

Uh huh. Did I say it was direct? Or did I say exactly not that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    I thought a pie bill was when you had to pay for your Ginsters
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!

The thing is, 3.1416 is not even exactly representable in binary. It's just a poor choice.
    I came to see what’s annoying and just got confused. Why would someone need to represent 3.1416 in binary ?
  • pinno

pinno said:

Uh huh. Did I say it was direct? Or did I say exactly not that.
    You tripped over your own words.
    ...and FWIW, my thumbs don't do a lot; they only press the space bar occasionally.
  • drhaggis
    mully79 said:

drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

shall be 3.1416

You read that?!

I came to see what’s annoying and just got confused. Why would someone need to represent 3.1416 in binary ?
    In case someone wanted to do normal operations in a computer (i.e. floating point arithmetic).