Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Thank you. It was just so close, I was 100% in go mode. Another driver could easily have gone and I dare say on another day, so could I.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Next car I get will have a dashcam. Recently, I was driving on a derestricted A road with a path along one side. At night, raining. I was doing perhaps 50. Bloke walking along pulling a suitcase (it's the sort of area where people end up walking miles with suitcases, what can I say). Anyhow I could see him clearly, but as I approached, he suddenly stepped into the road without warning. Presumably to avoid a puddle. He was remarkably agile.

I did an emergency stop - found out that the hazards automatically come on when I do that. Then gave the guy a lift the rest of the way so he didn't end his own life that night.

But if I'd killed him, who would have been at fault and how could I have defended my driving?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    I suspect the guilt would be worse than any legal repercussions even if 100% sure you did nothing wrong when thinking clearly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I had a roundabout issue the other day. I was entering the roundabout to turn right and was in the right hand lane (clearly marked with the road I was taking). As I entered the roundabout the car in the middle lane drifted across to the point I had to mount the kerb on the central island then blasted its horn.

I still can’t work out if they’d been forced over themselves by a car in the left lane and were blasting them or if they thought I should drive the wrong way around the roundabout as it’s pretty clear I could have gone any further right on the circulatory carriageway considering I had to drive over the kerb.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

I had a roundabout issue the other day. I was entering the roundabout to turn right and was in the right hand lane (clearly marked with the road I was taking). As I entered the roundabout the car in the middle lane drifted across to the point I had to mount the kerb on the central island then blasted its horn.

I still can’t work out if they’d been forced over themselves by a car in the left lane and were blasting them or if they thought I should drive the wrong way around the roundabout as it’s pretty clear I could have gone any further right on the circulatory carriageway considering I had to drive over the kerb.

Exactly why I have my own rule which is if I can't get the nose of my car ahead entering the roundabout I stay back. Still see a lot of cars wobble mid roundabout but at least I'm not in their blindspot.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Some roundabouts just don't seem to let the lanes flow naturally... one of the worst round here is the M5 one a Exeter/Sandygatye, where ever since I've been in Devon, if you follow the correct lanes it feels as if you're crossing lanes. I've never quite worked out why it's been persistently like this, even after they've done various schemes on it.
  • morstar
    edited January 2023

Some roundabouts just don't seem to let the lanes flow naturally... one of the worst round here is the M5 one a Exeter/Sandygatye, where ever since I've been in Devon, if you follow the correct lanes it feels as if you're crossing lanes. I've never quite worked out why it's been persistently like this, even after they've done various schemes on it.

Pet peeve of mine is roundabouts where the lanes don’t follow the natural flow.

You always seem to have 50% driving how a roundabout is supposed to work and 50% following the lines.

When it’s wet and dark and the lines are no longer visible. Anybodies guess.
  • First.Aspect
    Polygonal roundabouts should not be allowed.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

I suspect the guilt would be worse than any legal repercussions even if 100% sure you did nothing wrong when thinking clearly.

True. I've still not got over hitting a pidgeon on the M5 15 years ago.

He turned out to be quite a nice chap. Very damp though.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    I've been through this a few times:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

I got headbutted by a pigeon once when I was on my bike, setting off from a roundabout... it was a hit-and-fly, but fortunately I was wearing a helmet, so the only damage was to the English language.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

I’ve found it to be surprisingly easy to negotiate on the ground. Much like ‘spaghetti’ junction the aerial view makes it seem more complicated than it is in reality. It really is an ingenious solution to a very complex junction.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

pinno said:

I’ve found it to be surprisingly easy to negotiate on the ground. Much like ‘spaghetti’ junction the aerial view makes it seem more complicated than it is in reality. It really is an ingenious solution to a very complex junction.

If that's Swindon's magic roundabout, yes, I've done it once as well, and it's not hard. I assume its design brief was to have, in effect, an additional counter-clockwise inner roundabout to increase overall capacity and reduce the average number of exit junctions crossed.

Has it been replicated anywhere else?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

Similar at Hatton Cross, by Heathrow

• briantrumpet

Similar at Hatton Cross, by Heathrow

Ah, thanks. So, not common, but not unique. Slightly more organised that the Arc de Triomphe.

• First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

I got headbutted by a pigeon once when I was on my bike, setting off from a roundabout... it was a hit-and-fly, but fortunately I was wearing a helmet, so the only damage was to the English language.
    If adhering to road traffic incident reporting standards, you would need to say that a cyclist and a pigeon were involved in a headbutt.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

If adhering to road traffic incident reporting standards, you would need to say that a cyclist and a pigeon were involved in a headbutt.

No, surely "The cyclist collided with the pigeon. Witnesses reported that they thought that the cyclist didn't have a bell, and wasn't wearing hi-viz."
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    New priorities isn’t it?
    Pigeons -> pedestrians -> cyclists -> cars… 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Another year, another complaint about HMRC.
    Despite selecting to pay money owed through current tax code and not having to fill in a self assessment since 21-22 I somehow have a balancing payment of £21 which if I hadn't seen by tomorrow I would have got a nice fine.
    Check your 2021-2022 self assessments just in case !! HMRC won't let you know !
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

New priorities isn’t it?

Daily Mail: 'Evil cyclist injures innocent pigeon'.
  • Pross
    ^ Where's the 'Lycra lout'?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

New priorities isn’t it?

Daily Mail: 'Evil cyclist with no lights on his bike injures innocent pigeon while running a red light'.
    FTFY. Might as well wind them up properly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    Surely Mamil needs to be in there somewhere!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    morstar said:

Surely Mamil needs to be in there somewhere!

Good point. And no brakes as they're likely riding a fixie.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • On the pavement, causing the wee bird life-changing injuries.
  • briantrumpet
    I ought to be in prison really. Perhaps next time I should go for pigeon avoidance or evasion (or are they the same thing?)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    That went well. Online briefing session for volunteers for the UCI Worlds later this year. Supposed to be 1315 for 30 minutes. Teams link arrived just after 1315. Presenters started talking then their audio kept dropping out so mostly got just a stream of audience members unmuting and going 'hello...' etc. xxxx that. Got better things to do with my life.
  • Pross
    orraloon said:

That went well. Online briefing session for volunteers for the UCI Worlds later this year. Supposed to be 1315 for 30 minutes. Teams link arrived just after 1315. Presenters started talking then their audio kept dropping out so mostly got just a stream of audience members unmuting and going 'hello...' etc. xxxx that. Got better things to do with my life.

It's like being back in early 2020!
  • pinno
    edited January 2023

I ought to be in prison really. Perhaps next time I should go for pigeon avoidance or evasion (or are they the same thing?)

It's gone viral @briantrumpet :

https://www.worldgreynews.com/details/257955/evil-cyclist-injures-pigeon

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'm upset by the bike market. Lack of stock, crazy prizes, endurance bikes w/o mudguard mounts, you name it. Add to that the swapping of more expensive 12 speed 105 Di-2 over mechanical Ultegra builds, in "entry level" carbon bikes. And by "entry level" I mean three bloody grand.

Then there's Spesh, with unsurprisingly no CF-frame bike at "normal" c2w limits. But Giant? Giant wants over £3k for the single 2023 Defy model in their range. 105 Di2, of course. Seems like the way to go to solve your liquidity issues.

But today I totally lost it when I realised that, on top of all that, and on top of the typical 22-23 increase in price, Scott decided to "improve" their Addict 30 with a Praxis Alba crankset rather than the Shimano 105 from previous years. Brilliant.

Anyway, it's not like any of these was going to be available in my size to make use of c2w any time soon...

PS: Of course that £3.2k defy has a non-series crankset