Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    ^ Solid effort, I'm going to give that a rant rating of 8/10

My rant is that I'd entered my first 50 mile ultra marathon. I was really looking forward to it as it starts at 10pm on a Friday night and the first 7 hours or so would have been running across the Brecon Beacons in darkness which could be spectacular with a clear sky. It had really helped me get my motivation back after 2 years of struggling to drag myself out on runs. Unfortunately I just got an email to say they are moving it to September due to a poor take up in entries and it is now too close to my other main race of the year, Snowdonia marathon. At least I hadn't invested in any extra kit for the ultra or really got into the big mileage runs but still gutted.
  • Pross
    There’s actually a documentary on Channel 5 at the moment about the Beast From The East. I know it was a fairly severe winter storm by UK standards but we must be a right laughing stock to other countries. In these parts I don’t think it was even the worst snow of the 2010s.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Pross said:

There’s actually a documentary on Channel 5 at the moment about the Beast From The East. I know it was a fairly severe winter storm by UK standards but we must be a right laughing stock to other countries. In these parts I don’t think it was even the worst snow of the 2010s.

Don't worry too much... mountain folk in France laugh at everywhere else in France... if you can understand a bit of French, this is quite drôle...

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    I don't, but I'm guessing it is similar to the Canadian ones about the temps at which people from the Yukon wear shorts / t-shirts / flip flops, etc.
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023

I don't, but I'm guessing it is similar to the Canadian ones about the temps at which people from the Yukon wear shorts / t-shirts / flip flops, etc.

Yup. Obviously, given it's France, including reference to considering whether to brush the snow away before the pre-dinner outdoors 'apéro'.
  • First.Aspect

Yup. Obviously, given it's France, including reference to considering whether to brush the snow away before the pre-dinner outdoors 'apéro'.
    The one from Quebec would probably be more sophisticated, but I couldn't read it.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Pross said:

I don't think it lasted longer than 48 hours did it? I do recall I drove from London to Gloucester in it - not advised on reflection, but it was clearly not that bad.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • First.Aspect
    People starting conversations about topics of personal interest to them, and getting pissy when other people ask perfectly reasonable questions about it.
  • First.Aspect
    People starting conversations about topics of personal interest to them, and then expect others to show more interest in the subject than they do in order to qualify to talk about it.

• First.Aspect
    I'm finished now.
  • Pross
    edited January 2023

Pross said:

I don't think it lasted longer than 48 hours did it? I do recall I drove from London to Gloucester in it - not advised on reflection, but it was clearly not that bad.
    I think a few remote areas got snowed in for a week of so but in most parts it significantly cleared in a few days. I think it was either 2009/10 or 2010/11 that was definitely worse around here as we had several heavy dumps of snow in December and January with freezing temperatures between meaning it never really cleared.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

People starting conversations about topics of personal interest to them, and getting pissy when other people ask perfectly reasonable questions about it.

People too lazy to google things and read to facilitate better debates.
  • First.Aspect

Well that would include you.

If I posted something sciencey and told you to go look it up if you asked me about it, and then when you questioned me I said I knew more about it than you so there, possibly this may irk you.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I think a few remote areas got snowed in for a week of so but in most parts it significantly cleared in a few days. I think it was either 2009/10 or 2010/11 that was definitely worse around here as we had several heavy dumps of snow in December and January with freezing temperatures between meaning it never really cleared.
    Winters of 2010-2011 and 2011-2012, but yes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

If I posted something sciencey and told you to go look it up if you asked me about it, and then when you questioned me I said I knew more about it than you so there, possibly this may irk you.
    I also get accused here of googling and reading up on things too much, so which is it?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

What about the people who get disgruntled when others offer solutions to trivial annoyances?
  • First.Aspect

What about the people who get disgruntled when others offer solutions to trivial annoyances?
    They are just looking for things to be annoyed about.
  • First.Aspect

I also get accused here of googling and reading up on things too much, so which is it?
    Don't think that's a criticism as such, more a question of where do you find the time.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited January 2023

People starting conversations about topics of personal interest to them, and then expect others to show more interest in the subject than they do in order to qualify to talk about it.

Had something similar in the sauna the other week. A bloke was talking about the meaning of life, evolution, etc; and asked if I agreed with him. I told him I had not given it any thought and had not formed an opinion. He didn't seem to like my response.
  • Pross
    Someone talking to me whilst sat virtually naked in a sauna would annoy me for sure.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201

Parisienne schools closing with 1-4cm! Hardcore. Think some schools in The Valley would shut with 1-4 snowflakes in the air.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    It annoys me when things fall on the last post of the previous page and no one bothers looking at 'cos the default of the BR server is to send you to the first post of the next page when you click on the notification that there have been X number of posts since you last visited.
    pinno said:

I ought to be in prison really. Perhaps next time I should go for pigeon avoidance or evasion (or are they the same thing?)

It's gone viral @briantrumpet :

https://www.worldgreynews.com/details/257955/evil-cyclist-injures-pigeon

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Voter ID (well, the principle annoys me properly as it's obviously been done for reasons other than virtually non-existent in-person voter fraud)... the trivial annoyance is not being able just to pop in after work without remembering to take my passport with me, and the increased risk of loss.

Anyway, I'm applying for postal votes from now on so I can use my vote easily to get rid of the people who have brought in voter ID.
  • pblakeney
    Not trivial - Your vote has never been private and the parties know your voting history.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    No driving license?

Anyway, Voter ID coupled with lack of standarised ID for adults sucks. IMHO, the lack of ID cards in the UK just eases ID fraud while, at the same time, making it very annoying to identify yourself when actually needed.

It's all just a disaster waiting to happen. Given I have (had?) two UTR's for at least two years and a good 18 months after notifying HMRC of the issue, I have little hope.
  • pblakeney said:

Not trivial - Your vote has never been private and the parties know your voting history.

That's not true.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

That's not true.
    Then tell me why all polling cards have unique numbers on them that are also on the voting register and why I get letters from parties that I have voted for in the past asking why I didn't vote for them last time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    drhaggis said:

No driving license?

Anyway, Voter ID coupled with lack of standarised ID for adults sucks. IMHO, the lack of ID cards in the UK just eases ID fraud while, at the same time, making it very annoying to identify yourself when actually needed.

It's all just a disaster waiting to happen. Given I have (had?) two UTR's for at least two years and a good 18 months after notifying HMRC of the issue, I have little hope.

There was huge push back when ID cards were mooted though. I'd rather have one, there's been a couple of times lately when I've needed two forms of ID and my passport has currently expired (I'm planning on renewing it closer to the time I next need to use it for its proper purpose). The other thing that annoys me is 'proof of address' in the form of a utility bill less than 3 months old. The only hard copy bills I get are my Council tax and, possibly, water rates both of which are annually around March so anything from July onwards asking for this relies on a print out of an online bill which can easily be tampered with so I don't see how it is any use.
  • Pross
    I mentioned before that some animal keeps cr@pping on our front lawn. I went and checked this morning as it is pretty dry and clear of frost, there were around 10 piles on a lawn that is around 15m2. It's definitely some kind of domestic animal doing it and if it's a cat then it is a big one as each pile is at least as big as our small cockerpoo does. I might get a camera to see what is doing it and if it is a dog I'll bag up future deposits to dump on the owner's driveway and / or let my dog out to play on the lawn when it is out there.
  • briantrumpet
    drhaggis said:

No driving license?

Old paper version.