Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Car hire price for summer half term in France more than doubling from last year's price. If it weren't that I'm going with two friends, it would have priced me out of the market.

It went up by about a factor of 3-5 from Exeter airport since covid. Even though it has now come down a bit, to get a car over Xmas for 4 days would have been about £500 for a shitbox. I would have been better off buying one.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

Car hire price for summer half term in France more than doubling from last year's price. If it weren't that I'm going with two friends, it would have priced me out of the market.

It went up by about a factor of 3-5 from Exeter airport since covid. Even though it has now come down a bit, to get a car over Xmas for 4 days would have been about £500 for a censored . I would have been better off buying one.
    Brian has a car near Exeter that's suffering from lack of use, I'm sure you could come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

It went up by about a factor of 3-5 from Exeter airport since covid. Even though it has now come down a bit, to get a car over Xmas for 4 days would have been about £500 for a censored . I would have been better off buying one.
    Brian has a car near Exeter that's suffering from lack of use, I'm sure you could come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
    As long as I can make it last waaay past 2030...
  • briantrumpet

That's nuts. It's about £500 for 13 days from Geneva. Time was when if you hired on the French side it was about a third cheaper than the Swiss side, but no real difference now.
  • First.Aspect

That's nuts. It's about £500 for 13 days from Geneva. Time was when if you hired on the French side it was about a third cheaper than the Swiss side, but no real difference now.
    And Loganair were charging £250 each way from Edinburgh. I hope the tartan twats go out of business.

We flew to Bristol for 1/4 of the cost and didn't hire a car.

You'd think the Devon chamber of commerce would be troubled by these companies basically rendering Exeter Airport non viable, wouldn't you?
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023

And Loganair were charging £250 each way from Edinburgh. I hope the tartan twats go out of business.

You'd think the Devon chamber of commerce would be troubled by these companies basically rendering Exeter Airport non viable, wouldn't you?
    Since FlyBe left Exeter, they'll take anything they can get. Still hoping that Flybe will come back, if only for the selfish reason of flights to Paris.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Reading the label of a bottle of South Aus SB, a brand well known in dUK for several decades. Family owned, sustainably grown, bottled at the winery, vegan... and 10.5% ABV. They're taking the pi55, literally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Trying to deposit a cheque on my banking app. Getting the cheque lined up properly in the box was really awkward due to every movement being mirrored then when I finally got it to take a shot I got a message to say I'm unable to deposit it at the moment and to try again later then take it to a bank if that doesn't work.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Non-standard cheque sizes don't work. These days the only cheques you receive are non-standard.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross said:

Trying to deposit a cheque on my banking app. Getting the cheque lined up properly in the box was really awkward due to every movement being mirrored then when I finally got it to take a shot I got a message to say I'm unable to deposit it at the moment and to try again later then take it to a bank if that doesn't work.

Why is every movement mirrored? Are you using the front facing camera?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    rjsterry said:

Non-standard cheque sizes don't work. These days the only cheques you receive are non-standard.

The A4 width tear off ones you get sent from time to time work fine in my experience (starling app if that makes any difference).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    Not being even having the facility to pay a cheque in by Nationwide's app...

Fortunately, these days, I hardly ever get a cheque, as I've trained most people to pay me by internet banking.
  • Pross
    Second attempt it worked perfectly. I lined it up straight away and it went through. I think it helped putting it on a lower table.
  • First.Aspect
    What is a chequeueue?
  • briantrumpet
    Buying a USB-rechargeable camping/emergency light, then finding it's not micro-usb when I went to recharge it. Anyone recognise this one?

• First.Aspect
    USB C

It's the new universal standard. It is compatible with everything except other universal standards.

• briantrumpet

USB C

It's the new universal standard. It is compatible with everything except other universal standards.

Aha, thanks, my first encounter. Guess I'll need to get a new lead, in full knowledge that I'll end up with a drawer full of them eventually.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

USB C

Aha, thanks, my first encounter. Guess I'll need to get a new lead, in full knowledge that I'll end up with a drawer full of them eventually.
    You've done well to avoid it, my phone is over 6 years old now but has usb c.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201

USB C

Take a look on the big river A-word. Plug in adaptors readily available. I recently had to get one to link newly purchased dashcam to my next gen Škoda with its usb-c sockets everywhere.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

USB C

Take a look on the big river A-word. Plug in adaptors readily available. I recently had to get one to link newly purchased dashcam to my next gen Škoda with its usb-c sockets everywhere.

Gone down the eBay route already, £2.85 posted.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I'm led to believe USB C to USB C can charge faster than normal USB A to USB C.
    Of course that means a proper USB C charger
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    This may help:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

This may help:

Thanks Pinno.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

USB C

Everything in the EU will have to be USB-C soon. It's saves on electrical waste by making everyone ditch their other cables. The other end of the USB-C cable is not regulated.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    mully79 said:

I'm led to believe USB C to USB C can charge faster than normal USB A to USB C.
    Of course that means a proper USB C charger

Yes, but they aren't expensive.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    When I got my new phone it came with a USB-C to USB-C lead and I didn’t have anything to plug it into so bought a USB-A to USB-C lead. When I then got a new laptop with a USB-C port I was amazed by how much quicker it charges the phone. It’s worth getting a charger with a USB-C port.
  • Pross

Since FlyBe left Exeter, they'll take anything they can get. Still hoping that Flybe will come back, if only for the selfish reason of flights to Paris.
    Looks even less likely this will happen now!
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Looks even less likely this will happen now!
    Ha. My timing was exquisite. Not entirely surprised, I must admit. I suppose I ought to be thankful that easyJet have a good base in Bristol.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I don’t normally post anything about driving because you just see stupid random stuff all the time.

However, this one quite shook me up.

It’s dark and busy, I’m Waiting to enter a roundabout. Two lane road from right is very busy. I am at the roundabout on the white line.

Gap appears which is small but clear. Van on roundabout slowly passes in front of me which will force me to enter slowly. This possibly saves an idiots life.

Just committing to moving, look around from watching traffic from right, and a person walks in front of me just as I am about to move. All I catch are dark silhouettes of legs in the left headlight.

I’m an old fart and observation is pretty much built in but I had no expectation for somebody to be there. On another day I could so easily have run them down. I was so close to just dropping it and going and quite shaken by how close it was.

Zero reason to walk in front. It’s a path I use myself and I was the only car waiting. You’d just walk behind the car.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Pedestrians and cyclists are often badly dressed too. Black is the new black (and shades of grey).

But you are okay morstar and no body was hurt. You drove with the right manner - that's experience and prudence.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!