Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    What is the point of hot cross buns? Is it just a vehicle for butter?
  • My wife has started buying hot cross buns, not an annoyance in itself even if it is a little early. She eats them cold, the clue's in the bloody name.

Your wife has seen the light. ;)

Been a sucker for them in the last ~4 years and at 200kCal+ per bun, they might be a major reason why I've ended up north of 85Kg again, when I should be capable of maxing out at ~78Kg without living like a priest.

Not added a 6-pack to our food delivery for ~4 weeks and I'm slowly losing some excess!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091

What is the point of hot cross buns? Is it just a vehicle for butter?

That's precisely the point.
    I only cycle so that I can eat cake and high calorie food stuffs.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I bloody love HXBs. Sweet but not too sweet, juicy raisins, and lots of butter melting into them. My breakfast of choice.

Bad ones are very disappointing, but the Sainsburys TTD ones and the M&S ones are good. Anything that is other than the standard (chocolate, orange and lemon, apple etc) are a waste of your calories compared to the OG.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

My wife has started buying hot cross buns, not an annoyance in itself even if it is a little early. She eats them cold, the clue's in the bloody name.

I think the hot means straight from the oven rather than having them toasted though (where they would become a toasted teacake with a bit of a shape on them).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Pross said:

My wife has started buying hot cross buns, not an annoyance in itself even if it is a little early. She eats them cold, the clue's in the bloody name.

I think the hot means straight from the oven rather than having them toasted though (where they would become a toasted teacake with a bit of a shape on them).
    FFS, I don't vent my trivial annoyances on here so you can take her side! Regardless of the fact you may be right, but a toasted tea cake is as it should be. Adding to FA's point this also means you can get more butter into them as it melts into lusciuosness. Cold but slathered on top is not as good.
    Mmmmm, got a craving for crumpets now...
  • Pross

Pross said:

FFS, I don't vent my trivial annoyances on here so you can take her side! Regardless of the fact you may be right, but a toasted tea cake is as it should be. Adding to FA's point this also means you can get more butter into them as it melts into lusciuosness. Cold but slathered on top is not as good.
    FWIW I prefer them toasted or straight from the oven but I will still happily eat them cold if presented to me. Anything offering the chance for butter to melt is generally prefereable other than freshly baked bread with thick butter.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Pross said:

Pross said:

FWIW I prefer them toasted or straight from the oven but I will still happily eat them cold if presented to me.
    Indeed, gift horse/mouth
  • A teacake is not the same as an HXB.
  • Pross

A teacake is not the same as an HXB.

Other than the cross shape on top I'm struggle to see any discernable difference.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

Other than the cross shape on top I'm struggle to see any discernable difference.
    Hot cross buns have cinnamon in them. Tea cakes don’t.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited February 2023
    Cinamon isn't it? I don't think teacakes have cinamon in them.

Back home, teacake is confusingly used to mean a type of bread roll as well.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Pross said:

That's 'cos you're wired funny.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Accidentally bought 3 ultra thin race inner tubes 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited February 2023

Accidentally bought 3 ultra thin race inner tubes 🤦🏻‍♂️

...instead of latex ones?

My annoyance this time is the new cycling infrastructure Edinburgh Council has built. Leith walk gets all the press, but trust me, there are a bunch of spots that are truly dreadful, including but not limited to:
    • the segregated path downhil in Dean bridge/Queensferry road
    • the segregated path and the widened pavement at Toll Cross
    • the complete lack of monitoring of motor vehicles parked in the bike lane along Causewayside, a path probably used by several hundreds of students each day coming back from the University of Edinburgh's KB campus.
    • The appalling state of both advisory cycle lanes along the meadows
    Oh, and yes, going west from Haymarket, if you follow the NCN 1 along Haymarket Yards because... I don't know, West Coates is a total clustercensored with the roadworks, you're playing with the devil. Check the "lane" on the right. And yes, it's still the same in February 2023.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Having gone into a Wetherspoons for the first time since Brexit, to meet an old friend who chose where. Annoyed to add 1p to Tim Martin's profits, but I did have a pïss in his toilet too make me feel better.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

Having gone into a Wetherspoons for the first time since Brexit, to meet an old friend who chose where. Annoyed to add 1p to Tim Martin's profits, but I did have a pïss in his toilet too make me feel better.

A true friends wouldn't have chosen Wetherspoons...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    drhaggis said:

Ah, pity 'poor' Brexshit supporting Tim, running out of cheap E European bar staff and having to close some of his pubs, such a shame. All Jeremy Corbyn's fault of course.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

What's wrong with Wetherspoons?
  • briantrumpet

Tim Brexit Martin. Utter hypocrite, and a man who can afford the fiasco of the Brexit he espoused.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

He's a Bwexit supporter.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

drhaggis said:

Ah, pity 'poor' Brexshit supporting Tim, running out of cheap E European bar staff and having to close some of his pubs, such a shame. All Jeremy Corbyn's fault of course.
    He's selling 32 out of about 850. Still a very successful business regardless of his political views.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

He's a Bwexit supporter.

If Corbyn owned pubs, would you go to them?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

He's a Bwexit supporter.

If Corbyn owned pubs, would you go to them?
    If they were any good I would go regardless of owner. Although that would make him a capitalist so he'd go up in my estimation :)
  • Having gone into a Wetherspoons for the first time since Brexit, to meet an old friend who chose where. Annoyed to add 1p to Tim Martin's profits, but I did have a pïss in his toilet too make me feel better.

They sell sh1te beer, are soulless atmosphere vacuums, that smell of damp carpets and stale beer farts.
  • briantrumpet

They sell sh1te beer, are soulless atmosphere vacuums, that smell of damp carpets and stale beer farts.

Yeah, and all the food is microwaved (sometimes to the right temperature, I'll admit).

If they were any good, it would be more of a sacrifice, but as they are shite, it's not a problem not to go in.

I'd rather go into my local anyway.

• TheBigBean

That's an unusual point of view.
  • TheBigBean

Yeah, and all the food is microwaved (sometimes to the right temperature, I'll admit).

If they were any good, it would be more of a sacrifice, but as they are shite, it's not a problem not to go in.

I'd rather go into my local anyway.

Microwaved food is not exactly unusual for pubs, but yes, there are often better places to eat.
  • Pross
    Plugs that are shallow and have no shaping to allow them to be gripped and pulled out of the socket.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Plugs that are shallow and have no shaping to allow them to be gripped and pulled out of the socket.

Ah, the start of a slippery slope. Next you'll be asking someone younger to open packets of biscuits for you, or to unscrew bottle tops.