Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

pangolin said:

Jesus you lot need a lot of convincing. It's a bug. You probably can't see all the formatting in Word even when you press the backwards P thingy. Trust me I do this a LOT because I'm quoting from OCRd documents where all the physical units have been unformatted. It happens often, not always, and it's annoying.

Not half as annoying as people trying something blindingly obvious and assuming someone who does it every day for 20 years doesn't know this simple trick.

I hate you all.
    Why TF is someone on your salary and with your qualifications doing basic proof reading/sub editor work?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    "trying to do"
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Jesus you lot need a lot of convincing. It's a bug. You probably can't see all the formatting in Word even when you press the backwards P thingy. Trust me I do this a LOT because I'm quoting from OCRd documents where all the physical units have been unformatted. It happens often, not always, and it's annoying.

Not half as annoying as people trying something blindingly obvious and assuming someone who does it every day for 20 years doesn't know this simple trick.

I hate you all.
    Why TF is someone on your salary and with your qualifications doing basic proof reading/sub editor work?
    We do our own typing these days.

Gone is the time where Peggy would do it while my feet were on the desk.
  • First.Aspect
    Ooh err.
  • First.Aspect
    monkimark said:

"trying to do"

Right then. I've just about had enough.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

I hate you all.

Yeah, I don't mean why are you operating a keyboard rather than lounging in a recliner, dictating to a minion. I mean why are they getting someone with a PhD to correct OCR errors?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

I hate you all.

Yeah, I don't mean why are you operating a keyboard rather than lounging in a recliner, dictating to a minion. I mean why are they getting someone with a PhD to correct OCR errors?
    Fastest way I suppose. We sometimes get cases where we don't have the original patent application to edit, and we only need to mess around with a page or two, so rather than waste time getting a word doc and then trying to figure out if it's actually the right one, it's easiest to get the text off of a patent search database or OCR a document off an official register. One way or another we need to check it's right anyway.

Seems like a waste of time, but getting pagination wrong or filing something incorrectly is worse.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    edited January 2023

My head has just exploded in frustration.

Perhaps you should rinse the wound with copious quantities of H 2O.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    I thought we’d sorted all that out with the H3 thing back when @beansnikpoh was still @hopkinb ?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

I thought we’d sorted all that out with the H3 thing back when @beansnikpoh was still @hopkinb ?

That's a keyboard shortcut but there's no keyboard shortcut for a smaller letter/number, which I think is what FA is trying to say.
    I guess these tiny details is what is required in patenting law.
  • First.Aspect
    I said I'm not playing any more.
  • pinno

Oh come on - it was fun.

Do you want to play cowboy's and Indians instead?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    pinno said:

Oh come on - it was fun.

Reminds me that a while back, there were two brothers in the building trade, originally from India and operating in the Dulwich/Herne Hill area. The slogan on the side of their van read "You've tried the Cowboys, now try the Indians".
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Oh come on - it was fun.

Reminds me that a while back, there were two brothers in the building trade, originally from India and operating in the Dulwich/Herne Hill area. The slogan on the side of their van read "You've tried the Cowboys, now try the Indians".
    But like the portrait photographer in Sydney years ago. His ad was “Husbands shot. Wives framed.”
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    ...and a local carpet business: 'We're easily laid'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Modern tech. I received some free noise cancelling headphones which is good (except I don't like the noise cancelling bit), but they don't have any buttons. Instead, I'm supposed to swipe in various directions on one ear. Obviously I can't remember the swipes.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542

Modern tech. I received some free noise cancelling headphones which is good (except I don't like the noise cancelling bit), but they don't have any buttons. Instead, I'm supposed to swipe in various directions on one ear. Obviously I can't remember the swipes.

That's like me with two, three and four-finger swipes and wotnot on laptop touchpads. No chance of me 1) remembering them and 2) executing them properly even if I did remember them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

You ought to return them and ask for your money back :wink:
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    When you're on a bike ride, or on holiday and someone asks you where you're from.
    You tell them, and they never, ever, automatically, without hesitation or prompting
    tell you where they are from.

So now, when someone asks me where I'm from, I throw the question straight back to them and ask them one of the following :

* Introduce yourself to me
    * Tell me about yourself
    * Tell me everything about yourself

Judging from the body language I observe, the person whom I have just posed the
    question to, is not amused.
  • This sodding cough that won't go away.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    ^ I normally get over illnesses very quickly, whereas my wife will hang on to the same thing for ages. This most recent respiratory nastiness however seemed to take me a lot longer to finally shake it off completely.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

Here's how to do it using the forum's excellent software subscriptsuperscript

Anyway, glad that at least three people enjoyed learning a new short cut.

I've already forgotten
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023
    Advert by a vegan organisation on how much land is needed by different types of food.

So it's beef, chicken, fish, tomatoes, beans etc.

All fine. Vegans being vegans. No problem with that.

Only in their chart they refer to beef as beef, but pork as "pig meat".

Grrr
  • First.Aspect
    How odd, that's a Ry Cooder song.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    edited January 2023

Advert by a vegan organisation on how much land is needed by different types of food.

So it's beef, chicken, fish, tomatoes, beans etc.

All fine. Vegans being vegans. No problem with that.

Only in their chart they refer to beef as beef, but pork as "pig meat".

Grrr

Is this to capture the cured pork products such as bacon, sausage meat, ham etc. not usually referred to as "pork"?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Presumably. They're all pork though, in my book.

I mean, there are plenty of beef sausages etc. Go ask muslims.
  • laurentian

I used to make them
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian

I used to make them
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Is this you shopping for tech stuff BB?
    https://youtu.be/dSINO6MKtco
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Car hire price for summer half term in France more than doubling from last year's price. If it weren't that I'm going with two friends, it would have priced me out of the market.