Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Is that to do with headline numbers? No it is not. Has that side of it been reported on in the press? No it hasn't.

Depends on your perspective I suppose. From that guy's perspective, he's relying on being paid for those unsociable hours, so he's not complaining about the "conditions" of having to work unsociable hours, he is complaining about the wages for doing so.

I guess your complaint is that all you hear in the headlines is X% offer has been rejected, which is a fair criticism.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

It annoys me people don’t understand strikes are supposed to be disruptive as that is the only leverage they have in the dispute.

Who are they supposed to be disruptive for, though? If the employer, financially, fill your boots. If it is the general public, the case isn't always quite so clear.
    That’s stupid logic.

Think that one through to the logical conclusion
    Legistlators around the world are stupid then. Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid cos RC sez.
    Beyond emergencies it is stupid.

Have you considered a career in politics? I'd suggest you start somewhere totalitarian, while you work on being able to see the grey areas in policy.
    Stand by the comment. Most people seem to think public opinion matters in industrial disputes, or indeed, is the point
    Whilst there are many other factors it is not an irrelevance. Being hated by the public tends to undermine morale and the enthusiasm to strike.
  • First.Aspect
    When MS word superscripts or subscripts the entire word before or after where you are super/sub scripting.

Don't they know that's not how they are ever used? Whoever did the little menu button illustration, they seem to understand. Don't they talk to one another?
  • TheBigBean

When MS word superscripts or subscripts the entire word before or after where you are super/sub scripting.

Don't they know that's not how they are ever used? Whoever did the little menu button illustration, they seem to understand. Don't they talk to one another?

Ctrl + and Ctrl = do super and sub scripts. Easier that way. Not sure if that will solve your grievance though.
  • First.Aspect

Ctrl + and Ctrl = do super and sub scripts. Easier that way. Not sure if that will solve your grievance though.
    Not. Its a bug that crops up if you are editing. I often have to take documents where the formatting has been removed and add them back in, to make H2O more like something a chemist would write, and I'll end up with a really tiny H2O.

It is annoying and has happened with every version of Word that I've used since about 1995.

You wanted trivial, I'll give you trivial...
  • TheBigBean

Not. Its a bug that crops up if you are editing. I often have to take documents where the formatting has been removed and add them back in, to make H2O more like something a chemist would write, and I'll end up with a really tiny H2O.

It is annoying and has happened with every version of Word that I've used since about 1995.

Still trying to help... say you have H2O written in Word, then you need to highlight the 2 with the arrow keys i.e. move the cursor to the right of the 2, hold down shift and press the left arrow key. Then Ctrl = will give you what you want.

If you mess around trying to highlight it with the mouse Word will decide you meant the whole word.
  • First.Aspect

Still trying to help... say you have H2O written in Word, then you need to highlight the 2 with the arrow keys i.e. move the cursor to the right of the 2, hold down shift and press the left arrow key. Then Ctrl = will give you what you want.

If you mess around trying to highlight it with the mouse Word will decide you meant the whole word.
    It's a bug, trust me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Thinking that I might add Instagram to my soshul meejja outlets for photos, to connect with a younger audience, then finding out you can only use it via the app on mobile devices - obviously a cunning ploy to get laptop browser users to have all their mobile personal interaction data hoovered up by Meta.

Oh well, seems I'll have to make do with middle-aged French women.

Surely you should refer to them as The Trumpettes?
  • TheBigBean

It's a bug, trust me.
    Works fine in my Word!
  • First.Aspect

It's a bug, trust me.
    Works fine in my Word!
    That's because you are smarter than anyone ever BB.

It works fine if you are typing it correctly in the first place, not if you are formatting an unformatted text and put the cursor mid way through a word, or highlight a part of a word.
  • TheBigBean
    I was trying to help. I gave you instructions for precisely that.
  • First.Aspect

I was trying to help. I gave you instructions for precisely that.

You think you've fixed the issue don't you?
  • Pross
    Hmm, I find formatting on Word a bit annoying but rarely do more than the most basic text so I tried BB's method and it seemed to work fine for me. Typed it initially with a full size '2' then highlighted the '2' with my mouse and hit Ctrl = which converted just the '2' to subscript (images are a bit cr@p)

• Pross
    What you can't do, from what I can tell, is do a replace all through a document as that does change everything to subscript.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Just have the word document at the ready called 'H2O' and copy/paste it every time you need it.
    See: i've done it for you and if you want me to send it, just let me know and there's no fee.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Yeah I am going to agree - typed it normally (no formatting) then went back and highlighted the 2, made it little. Worked perfectly.

Word version 2212 (office 365)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

What you can't do, from what I can tell, is do a replace all through a document as that does change everything to subscript.

You can if you copy the subscript/superscript into the clipboard and then use ^c

For example, if you copy H2[with subscript]O, then do a find and replace on H2O with ^c, it will do the whole document.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    How many more people have typed H2O into Word this afternoon than normal? Worked for me too, thanks Bean, now i just need to remember it on the slim chance i might need to do similar in future.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

How many more people have typed H2O into Word this afternoon than normal? Worked for me too, thanks Bean, now i just need to remember it on the slim chance i might need to do similar in future.

Not me.
    I type "water".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Got an unsolicited call from a bloke who I have never previously spoken to last week offering transport services. I explained that we have this sorted and that, due to the nature of the way we do things, it is really unlikley that we would require his services - it was not beyond the absolute realms of possibility but very unlikely and asked him to send me an email with his company details on for me to "keep on file". This was out of politeness more than anything else.

Got an email from him today:

"Afternoon,

Hope you’re well and had a good weekend mate!

Let me know if there’s anything I can quote on this or next week pal,"

That's annoying

Wilier Izoard XP
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    After the discussion about French women, trumpets, and H2O, I've come to the conclusion that people here think LaTeX is just for the leaky inner tubes.

As an aside, what annoys me is scratching brand new pedals after 26 fückin' kms. And yes, it's trivial, because if you fall on a group ride on an icy day, only a scratch is really coming out lightly.
  • First.Aspect
    Jesus you lot need a lot of convincing. It's a bug. You probably can't see all the formatting in Word even when you press the backwards P thingy. Trust me I do this a LOT because I'm quoting from OCRd documents where all the physical units have been unformatted. It happens often, not always, and it's annoying.

Not half as annoying as people trying something blindingly obvious and assuming someone who does it every day for 20 years doesn't know this simple trick.
  • pangolin

Jesus you lot need a lot of convincing. It's a bug. You probably can't see all the formatting in Word even when you press the backwards P thingy. Trust me I do this a LOT because I'm quoting from OCRd documents where all the physical units have been unformatted. It happens often, not always, and it's annoying.

Not half as annoying as people trying something blindingly obvious and assuming someone who does it every day for 20 years doesn't know this simple trick.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    pangolin said:

I hate you all.
  • TheBigBean
    Here's how to do it using the forum's excellent software subscriptsuperscript

Anyway, glad that at least three people enjoyed learning a new short cut.

• First.Aspect
    My head has just exploded in frustration.
  • pangolin

Here's how to do it using the forum's excellent software subscriptsuperscript

Anyway, glad that at least three people enjoyed learning a new short cut.

Thanks m8
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean

My head has just exploded in frustration.

Because other people have learnt something trivially useful?

• First.Aspect
    No. I'm not playing any more.