Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Stevo_666 said:

Also French rock and pop has hardly set the world alight. I once thought I'd found a genuine French global pop star: how disappointed I was when I discovered that Plastic Bertrand was Belgian.

Daft Punk?
    Pretty much. Although 'Ca plane pour moi' was a massive hit back in '77.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Christine and the Queens is pretty good. Obviously not Daft Punk level of popularity.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • David Guetta's done alright for himself.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Also French rock and pop has hardly set the world alight. I once thought I'd found a genuine French global pop star: how disappointed I was when I discovered that Plastic Bertrand was Belgian.

Also he wasn’t the vocalist on the record.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

David Guetta's done alright for himself.

Jean-Michel Jarre didn't do too badly either and Destination Docklands is still the most spectacular show of any sort I've seen 34 years on.
  • Pross
    Black ice. Not really trivial but it was horrendous here this morning. We had some very light, wet snow that melted on contact then froze. The ground just looked damp but when I tried to take the dogs out I literally couldn't get up my drive (It's on a slope of about 1:4). Every time I tried to push forward my standing leg would slip backwards and when I stood still I just slid back down the bit I'd got up. I had to take the dogs back in the house and go the 50m up the road (which is slightly less steep but still bad) to the salt bin using my shovel as a walking pole then gradually work my way back down the slope gritting the road in front of me and then doing the drive.

Once I finally got to the main road I had to walk in the road when possible as the footway going back down the hill was also frozen. Luckily the dog was on his best behaviour and didn't pull or I'd have been on the deck. Think I'll get the ice studs back in my trail running shoes.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Did you video it by any chance?
  • Pross

Did you video it by any chance?

I did think about it but was too busy trying to stay upright. I really did feel a bit trapped at one point, I couldn't let the dog go as he'd probably have run off enjoying his freedom so all I could do was allow myself to slide back down to my car then use that and a wall to get back to the front door.
  • First.Aspect
    I used to have a drive like yours. Wife came home one night, parked up etc. Then we had a knock on the door from a neighbour letting us know the car was in the road.
  • Pross
    Mine is the other way, falls from the road towards the house.

We had a turf delivery years ago where the guy insisted he would be able to offload the turf to the bottom of the drive with his forklift despite my warning. He put the breaks on and it wouldn't stop and he ended up skidding through the garage door at the bottom. I had to take the company to the small claims court to pay for the damage as they said they only deliver to the kerbside and I invited him to take it down the drive. I won as they didn't bother defending my case that even though I didn't ask them and had warned against it the professional driver should have known the limits of is vehicle carrying such a load.
  • First.Aspect
    Wahoo have a "liquidity crisis" meaning they are going to default on debt. So they are bankrupt, essentially.

I couldn't care less, but they bought Speedplay, immediately discontinued my favourite pedal and stopped making cleats thereby screwing lots of current users. Then they made a worse version of the remaining model and they are like hen's teeth anyway, because Wahoo are going bust.

Now they are risking disappearing entirely, having failed it seems to understand that the trading conditions during Covid weren't normal, so the IP and will to make Speedplays will vanish into some liquidator's list of assets that we will never hear of again.

For me, this is like when the Glazers bought United - they've squatted and taken a dump over something I really quite liked as it was.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    edited January 2023

Wahoo have a "liquidity crisis" meaning they are going to default on debt. So they are bankrupt, essentially.

I couldn't care less, but they bought Speedplay, immediately discontinued my favourite pedal and stopped making cleats thereby screwing lots of current users. Then they made a worse version of the remaining model and they are like hen's teeth anyway, because Wahoo are going bust.

Now they are risking disappearing entirely, having failed it seems to understand that the trading conditions during Covid weren't normal, so the IP and will to make Speedplays will vanish into some liquidator's list of assets that we will never hear of again.

For me, this is like when the Glazers bought United - they've squatted and taken a dump over something I really quite liked as it was.

Sounds like an opportunity for a startup. Reminds me of Greg66 and his penchant for obscure pedal systems.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    That would be a shame, I thought their bike computer was very good.

• Maybe Zwift could buy RGT off Wahoo? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    That I really don't like going to bed with socks on, even when it's really cold.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

That I really don't like going to bed with socks on, even when it's really cold.

Take them off then. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023
    pblakeney said:

Take them off then. 🤣

But then I get cold feet when (inevitably) I have to get out of bed in the night after the heating has gone off... [/tightwad]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It annoys me people don’t understand strikes are supposed to be disruptive as that is the only leverage they have in the dispute.
  • First.Aspect

It annoys me people don’t understand strikes are supposed to be disruptive as that is the only leverage they have in the dispute.

Who are they supposed to be disruptive for, though? If the employer, financially, fill your boots. If it is the general public, the case isn't always quite so clear.
  • briantrumpet
    Thinking that I might add Instagram to my soshul meejja outlets for photos, to connect with a younger audience, then finding out you can only use it via the app on mobile devices - obviously a cunning ploy to get laptop browser users to have all their mobile personal interaction data hoovered up by Meta.

Oh well, seems I'll have to make do with middle-aged French women.
  • Pross
    I use Instagram on my laptop
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201

Ooh, matrone.
  • First.Aspect

Thinking that I might add Instagram to my soshul meejja outlets for photos, to connect with a younger audience, then finding out you can only use it via the app on mobile devices - obviously a cunning ploy to get laptop browser users to have all their mobile personal interaction data hoovered up by Meta.

Explains the frequent trips to France.
  • Thinking that I might add Instagram to my soshul meejja outlets for photos, to connect with a younger audience, then finding out you can only use it via the app on mobile devices - obviously a cunning ploy to get laptop browser users to have all their mobile personal interaction data hoovered up by Meta.

This feels a bit patronising, but you can just login at instagram.com

I use it occasionally and don't have the app installed on anything.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Take them off then. 🤣

But then I get cold feet when (inevitably) I have to get out of bed in the night after the heating has gone off... [/tightwad]
    This may also come over as patronising.
    Slippers.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Can you actually post on Instagram via the website? I know you can browse.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2023

This feels a bit patronising, but you can just login at instagram.com

I use it occasionally and don't have the app installed on anything.

Ah, OK, not patronising at all, thanks... I tried registering last night via the laptop, and I couldn't get anywhere anyway - it kept on saying "Try again in a few minutes" - and when I googled, I found something saying it only really worked on the app. I'll have another go.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Take them off then. 🤣

Slippers.

Will I need a pipe as well?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Take them off then. 🤣

Slippers.

Will I need a pipe as well?
    If you choose.
    You can also choose what to put in it. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023

Who are they supposed to be disruptive for, though? If the employer, financially, fill your boots. If it is the general public, the case isn't always quite so clear.
    That’s stupid logic.

Think that one through to the logical conclusion