Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Pross said:

I can comfortably get into a 34" waist and occasionally a 32" but when I've been measurd for suits waist has been 36". Clothing sizes have been amended to flatter the purchaser, I suspect even more so with women's sizes.

Well, I'm a fatty then. But frankly don't care. Women's sizing is just a complete mystery. My wife fits in clothing across 4 sizes depending on the brand and design.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Dog poo. Seems to be a new one every day on the walk to school. Kids also seem somehow magnetically attracted to stepping in it.

Wonder if I could set up some wildlife trail cams to catch the owner...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    My form in Popmaster since the start of the year. I've only got over 20 twice and 50% of my scores have been in single figures including two 3s. It feels like there have been loads of 60s and, particularly, 70s questions plus the contestants keep picking the wrong bonus questions the selfish bastards.
  • Pross said:

My form in Popmaster since the start of the year. I've only got over 20 twice and 50% of my scores have been in single figures including two 3s. It feels like there have been loads of 60s and, particularly, 70s questions plus the contestants keep picking the wrong bonus questions the selfish bastards.

There's some more news that might annoy you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64305756
  • Pross

Pross said:

There's some more news that might annoy you...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64305756
    His show is the only one I still regularly listen to after they ruined the schedule having been criticised for lack of female presenters. The stand in presenters when he’s on leave are usually shite (Gary Davies is OK).
  • Pross
    Popmaster going with him is good though, I’ll just switch channels.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Bugrit. So I'll need to track down this new channel if'n I want Popmaster then. Will it still be 1030 or is the daily schedule to be thrown into chaos?

Re the wimmin presenters, Sara Cox is excellent and now doing 3 hour slot.
  • Don't know - I only get it on the podcast and don't listen every day, so we're only up to mid November. Plenty spare, and it allows completely missing out weeks when Scott Mills/Garry Davies are on duty.

Hopefully there'll still be a podcast.
  • Pross
    orraloon said:

Bugrit. So I'll need to track down this new channel if'n I want Popmaster then. Will it still be 1030 or is the daily schedule to be thrown into chaos?

Sara Cox does my head in, I hate the way she talks about people who text or call in as though she knows what they look like. It was way better when Mayo was in that slot.

As I no longer commute don’t listen to the radio much anymore but turn on for Ken Bruce while working. As soon as I hear “it’s 12 o’clock, I’m Jeremy Vine” my response is “Alexa, stop”.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Each to their own. 1200 heralds my switch to 6Music. The 'do my head in' award goes to Zoe Ball.
  • Pross
    I reckon breakfast shows on all channels are designed to be irritating. It's as if programme schedulers think the only way people can get ready in the morning is to have some overly cheerful 'funny' presenter on the radio (although BBC TV goes the other way and seems to now only use presenters with no personality at all). I don't mind Zoe Ball as much as Sara Cox but she is definitely more irritating on radio than when she was on TV.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    Pross said:

I reckon breakfast shows on all channels are designed to be irritating. It's as if programme schedulers think the only way people can get ready in the morning is to have some overly cheerful 'funny' presenter on the radio (although BBC TV goes the other way and seems to now only use presenters with no personality at all). I don't mind Zoe Ball as much as Sara Cox but she is definitely more irritating on radio than when she was on TV.

I think Jack Dee might be my ideal sort of morning radio presenter... like me, he'd be a bit slow to get going and grumpy, and really not wanting to talk much.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Alan Shearer. "I know the linesman is told to do something different, but he should have just put his flag up."

Moron.

(Sorry Brian.)
  • briantrumpet
    In my defence re threads, I loathe and detest email chains when one has got quite a complex thing to organise, where people 'reply to all' with inane comments, don't organise their thoughts enough to reply to either title emails sensibly or reply to the relevant email. Actually, emails are a crepe way to organise pretty much anything.

I once tried to get one organisation I work with to use Asana, a project management tool that is a cross between Facebook and a forum, so you could group discrete disussions into general areas of activity - say, publicity, members, etc.- and you could also set tasks. About three of us used it quite usefully and happily, while others just moaned, and carried on replying to all "Yes" or whatever. It totally does my nut in, and I end up not bothering to engage, if people can't sort out their own thoughts.

The thing is I know that my mind is both reasonably able to juggle lots of ideas and get a bigger picture, but what I do need is that when stuff is written down that needs actions, it's got to be clearly structured (which is why I also hate mind maps).

So if I sometimes seem to be grumpy about threads morphing all over the place, at least you've got some context.

Anyway, as you were... was it football?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Pross said:

I think Jack Dee might be my ideal sort of morning radio presenter... like me, he'd be a bit slow to get going and grumpy, and really not wanting to talk much.
    Sean Keaveny was very good on 6 Music in a similar role - sort of tired middle aged worn down man role. Replaced now by Lauren Laverne - much more upbeat and a great listen.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • briantrumpet
    I went off Radio 3 because all the morning presenters had obviously got the updated memo to be chatty and have phone-in segments, and only to play short bits of easy music. Hence why I'm now on France Musique, which just has discrete playlists and no chat, no adverts, and it's paid for by French taxpayers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    edited January 2023
    Pross said:

orraloon said:

Sara Cox does my head in, I hate the way she talks about people who text or call in as though she knows what they look like. It was way better when Mayo was in that slot.

As I no longer commute don’t listen to the radio much anymore but turn on for Ken Bruce while working. As soon as I hear “it’s 12 o’clock, I’m Jeremy Vine” my response is “Alexa, stop”.
    Yep this ^. Vine is worse than the long serving wossisname... Jimmy Young? I never thought that was possible.

Eddie Maier was a loss (well, R4), Ken Bruce, Jack Dee (R4), Craig Charles and Patrick Kielty (when they are filling in) are the only one's I tune in for.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    His departure comes after Steve Wright left after 23 years as afternoon host.

"Other popular presenters who have also left the station in the past year include Paul O'Grady and Vanessa Feltz"

Thank fook ^.

They lost Eddie Mair (well, R4) which meant there was only Craig Charles (as a fill in) and Ken Bruce that I ever tuned in for.

I went off Radio 3 because all the morning presenters had obviously got the updated memo to be chatty and have phone-in segments, and only to play short bits of easy music. Hence why I'm now on France Musique, which just has discrete playlists and no chat, no adverts, and it's paid for by French taxpayers.

Classic FM is okay if you can put up with the ads, they even play whole symphonies. I heard Beethoven's 7th on a drive the other day.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    * People using the term; "Not fit for purpose", for stuff they have that does not work (the way they want it to work).

* Radio interviewees saying; "Thanks for having me", to their interviewer.
  • pinno
    de_sisti said:

* People using the term; "Not fit for purpose", for stuff they have that does not work (the way they want it to work).

The BBC: "...and now for the news where you are"

Why not: "...and now for the regional news" ?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Wonder if that's because French commercial radio stations know there isn't much of a market for French music?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    de_sisti said:

When I were lad that second one was what we were told to be polite.

I think it was old fashioned then, but seems to be making a comeback.

If things carry on like this, we will be full Cholmondley-Warner before long.
  • pinno

de_sisti said:

When I were lad that second one was what we were told to be polite.

I think it was old fashioned then, but seems to be making a comeback.

If things carry on like this, we will be full Cholmondley-Warner before long.
    Ooh, suits you.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Wonder if that's because French commercial radio stations know there isn't much of a market for French music?

France Musique is all classical and jazz, and there ain't a commercial market for that anywhere. Radio 3 feels it has to be more like Classic FM - which I can't stand, sorry @pinno, though if it gets people into symphonies & stuff, great - but that's definitely not commercial either. But then, the BBC isn't and shouldn't have to be commercial, given its founding principles. It's why TV owners pay the licence, and why Frenchies pay for TV licences in France.
  • briantrumpet
    de_sisti said:

"[Not] fit for purpose" was a recent coinage, derived from the previous "[Not] fit for the purpose for which it was intended". I remember hating it when it was first in the news (it was either a politician or civil servant in the news who used it), but it's gone mainstream now.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Since getting Spotify I don’t know how I listened to the radio.

Can’t go back - that genie is out of the bottle.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Also French rock and pop has hardly set the world alight. I once thought I'd found a genuine French global pop star: how disappointed I was when I discovered that Plastic Bertrand was Belgian.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Also French rock and pop has hardly set the world alight. I once thought I'd found a genuine French global pop star: how disappointed I was when I discovered that Plastic Bertrand was Belgian.

Haha, as are a lot of the Jacques Brel types. And no, I can't be doing with them either.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'm annoyed by everything that wears down so fast in a commuter bike. Brake pads, chain, tyres, cassettes, chainrings, pedals, wtf, next I'll wear down the handlebar.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Stevo_666 said:

Daft Punk?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS