Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Christmas jumper days - one of the many reasons that make me glad I work from home. LinkedIn is full of companies posting photos of this highly amusing and original idea.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,670
    Pross said:

Christmas jumper days - one of the many reasons that make me glad I work from home. LinkedIn is full of companies posting photos of this highly amusing and original idea.

Ha! I don't actually own any sort of festive or Christmas jumper. Never have. Never will. Dark brown, chunky roll neck is about as festive as my jumpers get.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    The only jumper I'd consider wearing would simply say "Bah humbug", but even that would probably be too festive for my taste.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    My wife bought me an Xmas jumper a few years back, I don't mind it and the kids like it when we join in the festive stuff (making the most of it as we only have another year or two before I am a source of constant embarrassment to them) but it is so warm that I have barely worn it - as soon as I get inside I am waaaay too hot and end up wearing a not at all festive t-shirt
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    Festive cooking aprons are even worse.
  • Pross
    It's not so much the jumpers themselves I find annoying (I have one as we wear them with my choir when we sing around care homes - I can certainly empathise with the above comment about how warm they get from that experience!). It is more the companies having Christmas jumper days and feeling the need to post all about it on their social media. Also, company email footers telling everyone they are donating to charity. It's good that they are doing it by why do they need to tell everyone else about it?
  • Pross said:

It's not so much the jumpers themselves I find annoying (I have one as we wear them with my choir when we sing around care homes - I can certainly empathise with the above comment about how warm they get from that experience!). It is more the companies having Christmas jumper days and feeling the need to post all about it on their social media. Also, company email footers telling everyone they are donating to charity. It's good that they are doing it by why do they need to tell everyone else about it?

You understand what a company is, right?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    monkimark said:

My wife bought me an Xmas jumper a few years back, I don't mind it and the kids like it when we join in the festive stuff (making the most of it as we only have another year or two before I am a source of constant embarrassment to them) but it is so warm that I have barely worn it - as soon as I get inside I am waaaay too hot and end up wearing a not at all festive t-shirt

Once that point comes, wear this:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Why are they putting young children’s TV favourite Mogg on at 7:45pm on Christmas Day?

Whoever did the scheduling does not have children.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Yeah we wondered this, bizarre! Everyone will watch on catch-up the next day.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    edited December 2023

I lost a bank card today on the tube. I could instantly cancel it on my banking app and I imagine I will be able to sort out the incomplete journey. The trivially annoying thing is not understanding how I could have managed that. I have the wallet that it should be in.

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2023

Utter carnage in the gym pool today.

lad who couldn’t keep his arms in twatted me twice in the head.

the state of some of their swimming, shouldn’t be allowed in shared lanes.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201

Has the body been recovered yet? Is there CCTV footage? Will you appear on some TV whodunit?

or did you just turn the other cheek, season-wise? 😉

• rick_chasey

😉

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091

I couldn't find mine on Wednesday when I went into a shop. Thought long and hard and realised that I hadn't used it since the Saturday in Superdrug. That could have been 5 days of spending if the wrong person got a hold of it. It's also a hassle cancelling your card and having to go through all those online accounts etc.

Went to Superdrug and the woman behind the counter who served me said immediately 'Are you looking for your bank card?'.

I was very appreciative.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Moving wallpaper at Xmas. All the spongiform elderly folk say nothing and stare into space with a fixed "isn't this lovely" expression for an hour.

Agree to put the TV on.

Then talk over it.

• briantrumpet

I had a similar experience with the local Co-op, though twigged the next morning. Only hassle was they'd not release it to me without seeing my passport, but I'd rather they were over-zealous on that front than slack. At least these days you can just freeze your card rather than cancel it.

• rick_chasey
    edited December 2023
    I’m not a fan of bread at the best of times but the bread choice at my parent’s is something that wouldn’t look out of place in medieval Britain.

Ridiculous.
  • Pross
    Millennials with all their fancy ‘artisan’ breads and who expect a selection of breads to be provided for them.
  • Pross
    From the point of view of Boomers and their food. My inlaws (mother-in-law in particular) moan that any meal that doesn’t burn your mouth is too cold. I don’t understand the point of wanting everything to be so hot it has no noticeable flavour (my wife also hates most veg having be forced to eat overcooked veg as a kid, something the mother-in-law still does to this day).
  • rick_chasey
    I’d settle for any bread that doesn’t disintegrate when being sliced unless it’s 2 inches thick.
  • briantrumpet

My pet hate is bread that is only nice if you eat it within a few hours and is dry by the next day, though I'll except proper baguettes from that, as they are supposed to be eaten asap.

The local Lidl do a really nice big heavy wholemeal thing which is still very edible for up to a week, and toasts nicely too.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Mrs B's over buying of food at Christmas.

It was just us and her parents for Christmas Day, yet she insists on buying party food for about 20 people, despite her parents having said they didn't want a starter. We've now got a freezer full of the shite. Plus she seems to have bought enough cheese to feed half the Western world.

• Pross

Can’t have too much cheese though (assuming it’s something decent like a strong cheddar and not some American shite)

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Fair point, well made.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

I too bought enough cheese for 20 people. There are only three of us unless we have an unexpected party.

I am happy with this situation. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

@pross Can’t have too much cheese though

Erm, sorry but we have too much cheese. I bought some, and then two of my extended family thought that cheese would be a good present.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono