Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    edited December 2023
    I realised decades ago that the vast majority don't care about your response when asked "How are you?". Went through a phase of replying "Terminal cancer." Passed most by.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    pblakeney said:

I realised decades ago that the vast majority don't care about your response when asked "How are you?". Went through a phase of replying "Terminal cancer." Passed most by.

I actually found the question difficult when at the worst with my post concussion syndrome. I really couldn't answer "fine thanks", but didn't want to have to explain why I wasn't.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,670

I think it might actually be the specific formula about 'finding me well' that grates... why not "I hope you're well", if you are keen to be perceived as concerned about the addressee's wellbeing? You've saved some Letraset characters too.

Mind you, maybe I'm just a git, as I'm not too keen on "How are you?" as an aural greeting, as either you're honest (which generally isn't the done thing), or you lie and tell them you're fine, despite your having the tail end of a cold, atrial fibrillation, and too much work to do. And that's if you're lucky.

How about:-

"Yo, Mr Trumpet-Dude,

Not bovvered if u about to kark it, man. Just ansa me question innit"

Respek.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• briantrumpet

I think it might actually be the specific formula about 'finding me well' that grates... why not "I hope you're well", if you are keen to be perceived as concerned about the addressee's wellbeing? You've saved some Letraset characters too.

Mind you, maybe I'm just a git, as I'm not too keen on "How are you?" as an aural greeting, as either you're honest (which generally isn't the done thing), or you lie and tell them you're fine, despite your having the tail end of a cold, atrial fibrillation, and too much work to do. And that's if you're lucky.

"Yo, Mr Trumpet-Dude,

Respek.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    pblakeney said:

Like the man dressed as a bear walking through the basketball video.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

I hope your well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

I hope your well.
    ... has water in it?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

I hope your well.
    ... has water in it?
    Why did the old lady fall in your well?

Because she could not see that well
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091

"Yo, Mr Trumpet-Dude,

Respek.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    BMW windscreen wipers. For some reason they don’t reverse them on right hand drive models and also, on the wife’s car, there doesn’t seem to be an intermittent setting so it’s either a case of letting them scrape on a not quite wet enough screen or flicking single wipe every few seconds.
  • photonic69
    Today - mostly everything!!! Grrr.....

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    3/4s of my office don’t understand that “alright?” is a greeting not an inquiry.
  • photonic69

3/4s of my office don’t understand that “alright?” is a greeting not an inquiry.

Alright Lid?

You a Scouser?

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    pblakeney said:

There was a chap at work a few years back we all learnt never to ask how he was, he'd go on about his piles, his mother in law, the bank screwing up or anything. He left, about 5 years later I bumped into him, after I'd had cancer, and forgot not to ask. Realised too late and couldn't get the words back. He was about to start when he looked horrified and said "oh no, how are you? I hear you've had a tough time of it" so cancer can have an upside 😁
  • rick_chasey
    Can confirm Gail’s will not serve a glass of cold milk. Must be hot and frothed. I even offered to pour the milk into the glass for them. Alas.
  • rick_chasey
    In a great example of illusionary superiority, I am clearly not an above average driver as I managed to reverse straight into a stationary car behind me.

No damage to theirs but broke the plastic glass off on my rear break light.

#fail.
  • pblakeney

In a great example of illusionary superiority, I am clearly not an above average driver as I managed to reverse straight into a stationary car behind me.

No damage to theirs but broke the plastic glass off on my rear break light.

#fail.

Appropriate spell fail though. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Indeed. What a plonker.

Absolutely no excuse. Just drove into him.
  • Pross
    To be fair, in accepting the possibility that you may not be an above average driver probably makes you an above average driver.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

To be fair, in accepting the possibility that you may not be an above average driver probably makes you an above average driver.

I have some recent evidence to suggest I am not…
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    edited December 2023
    Being a bad driver doesn't stop you being above average.
    I once reversed into my friends car, which was parked on my drive. As it had been when I left 10 minuted earlier :s
    Apart from that, I'm an excellent driver obviously 😉
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’m terrible driver as I try to drive like I’m riding a bike leaning in to corners and the like. Mrs W complains that she always has to do the driving when we go out together but if I drive she’s flinching all the time.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Wimps. 😉 Try driving with one working eye, as para mi for past 4 months. To be fixed 🤞 before the end of the year.

And yes I'm legal, I passed the DVLA not eye clinic tests.
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited December 2023
    Apologies for revisiting an issue that has not been recently aired,

Toilet rolls!
    The way the first sheet is glued often results in the two-ply being a single ply that is not lined up with with the perforations of the layer that it should be.
    Also a new issue. Are all toasters too small or is sliced bread too big? Can the relevant companies not get together and sort this out?
  • briantrumpet

Toilet rolls!
    The way the first sheet is glued often results in the two-ply being a single ply that is not lined up with with the perforations of the layer that it should be.
    Also a new issue. Are all toasters too small or is sliced bread too big? Can the relevant companies not get together and sort this out?

My Bosch toaster will take proper thick slices. My French toaster will take even thicker, as I think they are supposed to take baguettes sliced lengthways.

Toilet rolls... must say that Cushelle seems to be quite reliable on keeping the ply together, though I hate to admit buying branded toilet paper - too decadent by half for a tightwad.
  • Apologies for revisiting an issue that has not been recently aired,

Toilet rolls!

My Bosch toaster will take proper thick slices. My French toaster will take even thicker, as I think they are supposed to take baguettes sliced lengthways.

My gripe was more of a length thing rather than girth.

• briantrumpet

Toilet rolls!

My Bosch will take 'em long and thick.
  • pblakeney

Toilet rolls!

Buy a bigger toaster?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Toilet rolls!

My Bosch will take 'em long and thick.
    I’ve seen videos of your toaster
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited December 2023