Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    People who think they’re ‘characters’.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Pross said:

People who think they’re ‘characters’.

Anyone that describes themselves as a character is clearly a tool.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    People wearing bow ties for ordinary wear when everyone else is wearing ordinary ties annoys me. It's some sort of statement, but I'm not sure what.
  • briantrumpet
    Again: those three-word slogans for schools. Latest one I saw was: "Learn - Progress - Grow". Well, durr!!

I think I'd go for my kinda educational outlook, and not three words: "Embrace doubt - feed curiosity". Or something like that. Though I doubt if Ofsted or parents would like it, as they'd prefer "Study hard - get great grades!"
  • Pross

People wearing bow ties for ordinary wear when everyone else is wearing ordinary ties annoys me. It's some sort of statement, but I'm not sure what.

They’re characters 😉
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Again: those three-word slogans for schools. Latest one I saw was: "Learn - Progress - Grow". Well, durr!!

I think I'd go for my kinda educational outlook, and not three words: "Embrace doubt - feed curiosity". Or something like that. Though I doubt if Ofsted or parents would like it, as they'd prefer "Study hard - get great grades!"

Work sets you free?

(Yes this is a rude joke)
  • briantrumpet

Work sets you free?

(Yes this is a rude joke)

Or "In poor taste", mein herr.
  • rick_chasey
    Tbh that’s all I ever hear when I hear mottos like that.

• Only a quid at the garage, isn't it?

You need to go to the garage though.
    I find that's a necessity generally every now and then.

Maybe this will become an issue when there are no petrol cars around.
  • Pross

Only a quid at the garage, isn't it?

Biggest issue I have is finding a garage with air these days. They briefly had one at the garage across the road from me but it rarely worked and was then removed as part of a forecourt rebrand. I have a tyre place just across the road though so in an emergency I'm sure they'd help me out.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Pross said:

Only a quid at the garage, isn't it?

Biggest issue I have is finding a garage with air these days. They briefly had one at the garage across the road from me but it rarely worked and was then removed as part of a forecourt rebrand. I have a tyre place just across the road though so in an emergency I'm sure they'd help me out.
    You don't have a track pump at home? Perfectly suitable for topping up.
    Anything more serious requires a trip across the road anyway. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67615231

For once I hope he wins. There's something deeply troubling about hiding in bushes to watch people wee.
  • Pross

For once I hope he wins. There's something deeply troubling about hiding in bushes to watch people wee.

I suspect they've got themselves confused with people who urinate in a bottle and then dump the bottle which is becoming a big issue in places although that is a problem of the Council's own making due to the lack of roadside toilets.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I suspect they've got themselves confused with people who urinate in a bottle and then dump the bottle which is becoming a big issue in places although that is a problem of the Council's own making due to the lack of roadside toilets.
    They aren't confused, they are opportunists looking for revenue.

Are they going to start finding sheep or horses?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

Pross said:

Depends where they look I suppose
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

Depends where they look I suppose
    Fining.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Dog walkers are going to have to become more stealthy too. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    "I hope this finds you well".

Boogger off with the empty/meaningless pleasantries, and ask me the question.
  • rick_chasey
    Not interested in politeness? No wonder boomers complain of a lack of respect. 😉
  • briantrumpet

Not interested in politeness? No wonder boomers complain of a lack of respect. 😉

The "Dear..." covers that. Then just get to the point. And if you still feel OK after telling me what I need to do, you can always give me your "best wishes'.
  • First.Aspect

The "Dear..." covers that. Then just get to the point. And if you still feel OK after telling me what I need to do, you can always give me your "best wishes'.
    A lot of it is cultural requirements. You should see the fawning emails exchanged with attorneys in Japan we work with.

Fwiw "I hope this finds you well" is a proxy for I haven't written to you for ages, but now I need a favour.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    I find the "Hi how are you?" approach on teams/slack more annoying because they actually wait for you to respond before getting on with asking what they want to ask.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet

A lot of it is cultural requirements. You should see the fawning emails exchanged with attorneys in Japan we work with.

Fwiw "I hope this finds you well" is a proxy for I haven't written to you for ages, but now I need a favour.

How about a more honest "Apologies for not having been in touch for so long, but...". I just find this new formula really vapid, and it's spreading. They really don't care how well I am, as long as I'm alive enough to pay them, or do whatever it is they want me to.

I mean, even the French are cutting the cr@p to a large extent, dispensing with the ridiculous type of standard closing such as « Je vous prie de croire, Madame, Monsieur, à l’expression de mes sentiments distingués. » in all but the most formal correspondence (and one I've never received). These days it's mostly just "Bonjour [...] Cordialement..." And whisper it, but sometimes they even address one as "Tu" without asking if you're comfortable with that.

I really don't want any more 'politesses' to remember to include or to respond to in work emails.
  • First.Aspect
    There's a trend in the US, home of platitudes, of dispensing with all of this stuff.

I get emails along the lines of,

"First,

Proceed to file the application.

Client."

Depending on the circumstances, this total lack of normal conversational text makes it hard to assess a situation.
  • First.Aspect
    "Undoubtebly" is fairly annoying.
  • rick_chasey

How about a more honest "Apologies for not having been in touch for so long, but...". I just find this new formula really vapid, and it's spreading. They really don't care how well I am, as long as I'm alive enough to pay them, or do whatever it is they want me to.

I mean, even the French are cutting the cr@p to a large extent, dispensing with the ridiculous type of standard closing such as « Je vous prie de croire, Madame, Monsieur, à l’expression de mes sentiments distingués. » in all but the most formal correspondence (and one I've never received). These days it's mostly just "Bonjour [...] Cordialement..." And whisper it, but sometimes they even address one as "Tu" without asking if you're comfortable with that.

I really don't want any more 'politesses' to remember to include or to respond to in work emails.
    I dunno, I do hope people are well tbh. Not everyone is a curmudgeon ;).

How would you like a cold intro to start?
  • First.Aspect

I dunno, I do hope people are well tbh. Not everyone is a curmudgeon ;).

How would you like a cold intro to start?
    Rick.
    Agreed.
    First.
  • rick_chasey
    I used to do the first name without any "dear" and I got absolutely bollocked.

I'm not especially precious as long as the f*ckers are replying, but my approach is "dear" at the beginning of a chain and first name thereafter, unless there has been a pause or I know them, when it becomes "hi".

I write the "hope you are well" really because sometimes emails land at a really sh!tty time and I want to open up the opportunity to say "no, not now".
  • rick_chasey
    Guys. Your anti niceties attitude has thwarted Russian hackers.

• briantrumpet
    I think it might actually be the specific formula about 'finding me well' that grates... why not "I hope you're well", if you are keen to be perceived as concerned about the addressee's wellbeing? You've saved some Letraset characters too.

Mind you, maybe I'm just a git, as I'm not too keen on "How are you?" as an aural greeting, as either you're honest (which generally isn't the done thing), or you lie and tell them you're fine, despite your having the tail end of a cold, atrial fibrillation, and too much work to do. And that's if you're lucky.