Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2023
    At least the product of knitting is largely aesthetic.

Why do I care about a "PLAYDAFEWD" that I shall never taste?

I am quite interested in restaurants in general, god knows I spend enough time in them, and there is really an art to getting a restaurant right, with respect to the ambience, service, food, pace, etc.

I'd devour a programme about something like that, but people I don't care about making food I won't eat in something utterly arbitrary like a food competition is just boring.

Oh look, you've contrived it so unless the f*cker has done this exact thing before, there is not enough time to do this properly. Oh look, under unreasonable time pressure they have made a mistake, what a shock.

masterchef is obviously the worst offender. A particular bugbear are the 'judge' reaction shots that I swear the producers film in bulk and just edit them in where appropriate.

You can just hear the director in the background shouting "PULL A FACE"
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    You should really stop watching ;)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604

At least the product of knitting is largely aesthetic.

Why do I care about a "PLAYDAFEWD" that I shall never taste?

I am quite interested in restaurants in general, god knows I spend enough time in them, and there is really an art to getting a restaurant right, with respect to the ambience, service, food, pace, etc.

I'd devour a programme about something like that, but people I don't care about making food I won't eat in something utterly arbitrary like a food competition is just boring.

Oh look, you've contrived it so unless the f*cker has done this exact thing before, there is not enough time to do this properly. Oh look, under unreasonable time pressure they have made a mistake, what a shock.

masterchef is obviously the worst offender. A particular bugbear are the 'judge' reaction shots that I swear the producers film in bulk and just edit them in where appropriate.

You can just hear the director in the background shouting "PULL A FACE"

I think you're describing Ramsey's kitchen nightmares
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    In theory yes but it was just him humiliating the staff, faking how awful stuff was, and then re-writing the menu and declaring that they should use more "local" produce who presumably were only selling to him because he's Ramsey, and then declaring it a great success.

That famous clip where he ate a gone-off scallop and then proceeded to throw it up behind the kitchen. If you've ever gone near a gone-off scallop you wouldn't be putting it in your mouth, especially if you've got a few michelan stars to you name.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    The above doesn't annoy me but it does intrigue me as I choose not to watch such stuff.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    pblakeney said:

The above doesn't annoy me but it does intrigue me as I choose not to watch such stuff.

I always thought my wife doesn't particularly enjoy that stuff but put it on as it was guaranteed to get me out the room. But I've tried staying in the room a few times, whilst doing something else, and she keeps watching.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    rjsterry said:

Getting a quote to replace my French roof, and asking how much exterior roller shutters for the Velux windows would be: 1000€ for each new window, 1300€ for each roller shutter. I think I might go for a less elegant solution, as mooted before, given that the ease of covering the Veluxes isn't an issue, and would only have to be done a couple of times a year (just to cover the 'hail season' when I'm not there.

Are those special rosbif rates? Just checked and the shutter for the FK06 size (66x118cm) is £529 + VAT. Adding, say £300 for installation still doesn't get you to ~£1,100 unless you are going for the biggest size. There are also cheaper alternatives to Velux.

Thanks RJS - I'll do some more homework before I reply to the quote.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    monkimark said:

Not that i've seen it but the knitting/sewing version must be a competitor in the blandness stakes

My wife's, and apparently the UK public's, appetite for food programming, especially competitive food TV, is a real trivial source of irritation.

Is there anything blander and less interesting? It's the ubiquity of it. Perhaps it's the scheduling, but either way, ay caramba.

My complaint is more that having come up with the MasterChef format (BakeOff is just MasterChef + innuendo) it's then applied with zero imagination to other skills -sewing, pottery, woodwork, painting - where the time pressure is completely at odds with the craft. There are plenty of people who have worked out how to make woodwork or pottery interesting on screen and contrived competition isn't it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091

The discontinuation of the Double Space after a Full Stop. Give people a keyboard and they think they are bloomin' typists. So annoying. There! I've said it.

Are you my ex boss?

You should be so lucky!!!

What is even more annoying is that it appears this forum server software removes the double space automatically!! That is Doubly Annoying now!!
    I'm. Just. Going. To. Test. This. Theory. By. Increasing. The. Space. By. One. Each. Time.
    Doesn't using capitals incorrectly in mid sentence annoy you?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Clear inner tube dust caps. Pump up tyre, look for invisible dust cap, give up, replace with a coloured one, go ride.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Getting pinged that some fecker in some Chinese province has tried to hack my Apple account. Pr1cks.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Maris Piper spuds... not cooked... not cooked... boof, sludge.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Car tyre foot-pumps! Are they purposely built so shit that they fail in days/weeks/months? Mine keep breaking/leaking. Rubbish.
    Wife has one she bought in 1996 and it still works fine albeit a single cylinder one.
    Any recommendations for a decent one? Prefer manual rather than electric etc.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Car tyre foot-pumps! Are they purposely built so censored that they fail in days/weeks/months? Mine keep breaking/leaking. Rubbish.
    Wife has one she bought in 1996 and it still works fine albeit a single cylinder one.

Give up on manual ones. This is noisy but works from 12v in the car and is small enough to live in the car. I've been using mine to top up my normally flat run flats for about 12 years.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7405244
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620

Car tyre foot-pumps! Are they purposely built so censored that they fail in days/weeks/months? Mine keep breaking/leaking. Rubbish.

I use a track pump, same as for the bikes.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Give up on manual ones. This is noisy but works from 12v in the car and is small enough to live in the car. I've been using mine to top up my normally flat run flats for about 12 years.

A couple of times I’ve used these and it’s killed the battery.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Stevo_666 said:

I use a track pump, same as for the bikes.
    Ditto. Mostly just because it's there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

Run the engine.
  • photonic69

webboo said:

Run the engine.

Seems rather excessive to run the engine at idle whilst noisily checking and pumping up 4 tyres and possibly a spare. It's rather antisocial hence my wish for a manual foot pump. I have used my track pump but it's not convenient to keep in the car.

Surely some one has made a decent one and not the PoS from Chinese makers.

• First.Aspect
    How often to all four tyres go flat?

It is about a loud as a hoover. For about 5 minutes. Alternatively, drive to a layby and do it.

Fnarr.
  • Only a quid at the garage, isn't it?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Another vote for track pump (and have a little electric one in the car)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect

Only a quid at the garage, isn't it?

You need to go to the garage though.
  • photonic69
    I'm a tyre-pressure obsessive. I'll adjust pressures to suit temperatures so it means I check and adjust at least twice a week. Hence need for a decent pump!

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I'm a tyre-pressure obsessive. I'll adjust pressures to suit temperatures so it means I check and adjust at least twice a week. Hence need for a decent pump!

How often do you check your bike tyres.
  • photonic69
    webboo said:

Three times a night and also before, during and after riding ;)

But yeah, always before taking it out for a ride/commute.

• First.Aspect

webboo said:

I have a solution for you. And it doesn't involve buying a new pump.
  • photonic69

webboo said:

I have a solution for you. And it doesn't involve buying a new pump.

I said absolutely nothing about prostitutes! However did you get that idea?

• I'm a tyre-pressure obsessive. I'll adjust pressures to suit temperatures so it means I check and adjust at least twice a week. Hence need for a decent pump!

buy a POS car that handles like a boat - that will cure your interest in tyre pressures