Paul Kimmage.....

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I reckon PK will come of it slightly more convinced about Froome but will have his doubts about Sky re-enforced.

The fact Froome was prepared to sit down and talk to him played well for PK.

Froome does make EBH look like he's the worlds great cycling scholar though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Turfle wrote:
    Yeah, it was interesting enough. Covered all the familiar old ground, and ultimately it won't make a dent either way, but it was good to read some of Froome's extended thoughts on things.
    If nothing else Froome can rightly say that he has been open and answered all questions. I can't think of any cyclist going to that much detail on the subject. Of course it will just encourage anyone who primarily wants to write about doping - better to ask questions to someone who will answer them rather than say 'Next question' or 'No Inglesi'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    I reckon PK will come of it slightly more convinced about Froome but will have his doubts about Sky re-enforced.

The problem with Kimmage is he is a fundamentalist unable to comprehend any viewpoint other than his own. And he sees a potential doper first, cyclist second and human being a distant third. He would literally have riders riding on only bread and water and all dopers would be metaphorically disappeared (except himself of course).

And this attitude doesn't extend beyond cycling.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

The problem with Kimmage is he is a fundamentalist unable to comprehend any viewpoint other than his own. And he sees a potential doper first, cyclist second and human being a distant third. He would literally have riders riding on only bread and water and all dopers would be metaphorically disappeared (except himself of course).

And this attitude doesn't extend beyond cycling.

Worse than that, he has to be the arbitrator of dopage. He has to be personally satisfied.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    How Kimmage gets away with stuff like this I'll never know. He stirs the proverbial enough that folks within cycling then feel they have to sit down and talk to him to set the record straight, giving him another paycheck.

Someone from within cycling with half a brain (Millar's at a loose end so he would do) should turn the tables on Kimmage and interview him about his involvement in cycling and his 'fund' etc.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • RichN95.
    type:epyt wrote:
    Someone from within cycling with half a brain (Millar's at a loose end so he would do) should turn the tables on Kimmage and interview him about his involvement in cycling and his 'fund' etc.
    Herbie Sykes did an interview with him for Rouleur a year or two back. He came across as completely nuts.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    RichN95 wrote:
    Herbie Sykes did an interview with him for Rouleur a year or two back. He came across as completely nuts.

Have you seen his fanclub on Twitter and at the Clinic? More nutty than a packet of cashews.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    CF: How far do we go with this? My double espresso? Is that cheating? Because it’s a stimulant, I don’t know. Some people might say it is because I take before the final climb.

MC: You generally don’t drink coffee, although you did now (before the interview), probably because you only got home after one in the morning.

CF: And I was up at seven.

MC: But it’s not something that Chris usually drinks. He specifically avoids it until the point where he needs it in a mountain stage, because if you drink it every day it’s not going to feel like much.

PK: So you are using it as a stimulant?

CF: I am using it for that focused feeling of being in the moment and . . . I don’t know, do people see that as cheating? Possibly. I don’t think it’s cheating having a double espresso but that’s what helps me feel alert and . . .

Heaven help me. :shock:

"So you are using it as a stimulant?" No Paul he's using it as a s*dding sleep aid. What next...

"So you're using a bike with round wheels? Are you using that for an advantage?"

Sorry but Kimmage still comes off as a myopic fundamentalist. If he'd been born in Kabul he'd be dictating beard length with the imperious, sanctimonious tone of the one true believer.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Turfle wrote:
    Go and watch it immediately.

Preferably during the entirety of the TdF so we can be spared all of the nonsense about cheese and associated irrelevant crap that seems to get posted.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TMR wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Preferably during the entirety of the TdF so we can be spared all of the nonsense about cheese and associated irrelevant crap that seems to get posted.
    Oh lighten up. No harm in a bit of cheese talk when the bunch is plodding along 2 hours into a flat stage with a break 10 mins up the road and absolutely nothing else happening. I'd rather have dozens of posts about cheese than a single one from FF trolling away as usual.
  • RichN95.
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Oh lighten up. No harm in a bit of cheese talk when the bunch is plodding along 2 hours into a flat stage with a break 10 mins up the road and absolutely nothing else happening. I'd rather have dozens of posts about cheese than a single one from FF trolling away as usual.
    Exactly. I demand not only cheese, but also booze this year. (We could probably pass on the geology though, unless there's a pretty picture)
  • TMR
    adr82 wrote:

I don't like it. I'd prefer a separate thread for people to post irrelevant stuff in.

FF doesn't troll. He just posts blunt responses to people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It isn't his fault people are overly sensitive ;)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I do like the geology, but the pictures do help. Still waiting for the South Yorkshire coal mining one
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    I demand not only cheese, but also booze this year.

artworks-000015953807-0dtmgi-original.jpg?30a2558

One of your more memorable performances Rich.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    TMR wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

I don't like it. I'd prefer a separate thread for people to post irrelevant stuff in.
    Can't you just skip to page 2? The stage threads are mostly read and contributed to live anyway. When something happens people will talk about that.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Maybe, if you can't cope with people going off topic a bit, you create your own forum for the duration?
  • RichN95.
    One of your more memorable performances Rich.
    I almost directly quoted W&I as well, although that wasn't my originally in my mind.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    Can't you just skip to page 2? The stage threads are mostly read and contributed to live anyway. When something happens people will talk about that.

Of course I can. I'd just prefer not to have to. But, in the interests of forum harmony...
  • TMR
    andyp wrote:
    Maybe, if you can't cope with people going off topic a bit, you create your own forum for the duration?

Who rattled your cage pumpkin?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    TMR wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Who rattled your cage pumpkin?

You forgot the x
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    TMR wrote:
    FF doesn't troll. He just posts blunt responses to people who are wrong but don't want to admit it. It isn't his fault people are overly sensitive ;)
    Virtually all he does is post stuff he knows will incite controversy. Witness the way he can shoehorn references to Sky into any sort of discussion, no matter how irrelevant. There's a difference between being blunt about your opinions and purposely setting out to stir sh*t up.
  • RichN95.
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Virtually all he does is post stuff he knows will incite controversy. Witness the way he can shoehorn references to Sky into any sort of discussion, no matter how irrelevant. There's a difference between being blunt about your opinions and purposely setting out to stir sh*t up.
    If you don't take Frenchie seriously and see as a 'character' he is frequently laugh out loud funny. (I half suspect that's his intention a lot of the time)
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    If you don't take Frenchie seriously and see as a 'character' he is frequently laugh out loud funny. (I half suspect that's his intention a lot of the time)

There's always someone you just won't gel with, it's human nature. But I feel sure that if FF's detractors actually met him in the flesh they'd discover he is a really nice bloke who is incredibly passionate about cycling. We've shared many a pint - we always have a really good laugh. I can't say enough good things about him. Certified heavyweight TBH :mrgreen:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Whinge whinge whinge...

I'd make a cheese with your whine joke but it's too obvious.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha thanks TMR for your defence : )
    I hope you are getting those legs in shape for a trip to the pain cave.
    tumblr_n6udxyM9FK1qbxnpgo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    TMR wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    TMR wrote:

There's always someone you just won't gel with, it's human nature. But I feel sure that if FF's detractors actually met him in the flesh they'd discover he is a really nice bloke who is incredibly passionate about cycling. We've shared many a pint - we always have a really good laugh. I can't say enough good things about him. Certified heavyweight TBH :mrgreen:

I went for a drink with Lance Armstrong once - very misunderstood fella...
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    [quote= I hope you are getting those legs in shape for a trip to the pain cave.[/quote]

Don't forget to bring your suitcase of courage if you're heading there! :)

DD.
  • PK: Yeah, and the right thing for me in this case would have been: 'Okay, Chris, we're taking you out of the race. You are the highest profile rider in the sport today. We want you to set a standard that others can look up to and admire.'

CF: Okay.

PK: If I was Dave Brailsford, that's what I'd have done.

Generous of Froome not to question why we should believe that a man who took illegal PEDs would pull a rider rather than let him race with a perfectly legal use of medication.

The discussion about Froome having a double espresso before a climb tickled me - it's a shame no-one had told him about Kimmage's preference for caffeine suppositories :D
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    I'm finding it really hard to understand why other pro riders are reluctant to go anywhere Kimmage. I mean it's not as if he'll make a mountain out of a molehill that's been run over by a steam roller or anything.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Rough Rider on this Monday on RTE One at 9.35pm for anybody interested

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/roughrider.html