Cavendish has left..

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's unlikely that there will ever be another team like HTC because it was based around the principles of being the "winningest" (in their proper US/Highroad parlance) and they traded very successfully in the US and with a number of sponsors on that basis. Until Big Bad Bob comes up with another sponsor it won't happen and Cav will have to learn to co-exist with a team that has other goals than simply banging out "wins". Given the PR situation of cycling in the States at the moment it may be a while before Bob or anyone else comes good.

I think Argos are attempting to go that route. All about Degenkolb and Kittel, with very few contenders on the non-flat (Barguil and Dumoulin for the future though).
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I'll put my hand up to calling the OP a troll... I did this for two reasons:

1. insideinfo started the thread with the assertion that "I've got it on good authority (friend works for them)". He has subsequently admitted that this is complete fabrication. Instead it seems that the rumour possibly came from a friend's girlfriend who may or may not be a junior sport journalist. If you have a source please declare it accurately

2. insideinfo then subsequently asserted that "the reason why hes going to sign for Rabo is because of the location, based in Holland its not a big hop across the water from his base in Essex.". Whilst this could be a factor in Cav's decision, its very strange given than OPQS are presumably based in Belgium, and the last time I looked at a map Belgium was nearer to Essex than Holland.

I mean insideinfo no harm. Please note that I used the world troll in the nicest possible way... he is a friendly troll, not the ugly sort that lives underneath a bridge. I'm also enjoying the thread, and I enjoy the speculation.

I don't have a clue where Cav will be next year, I could guess and even make up a variety of fictitious reasons to justify my guess - I just won't present them to you all as facts gathered from an un-named source using a new forum account.
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Could he be going to CCC Polsat Polkowice?

ccc.jpg

Those fucking socks are shocking.

I've just checked wikipedia and there is nothing on there. This must mean he is staying put or as widely speculated going to Euskaltel Euskadi probably both. Thread finished, move on please.
  • Pieper's leaving Garmin. Wont say where he off to but OPQS strong possibility...the Band's getting back together, boys!
  • Nick Fitt wrote:
    Could he be going to CCC Polsat Polkowice?

ccc.jpg

Those ******* socks are shocking.

I've just checked wikipedia and there is nothing on there. This must mean he is staying put or as widely speculated going to Euskaltel Euskadi probably both. Thread finished, move on please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCC_Polkow ... cling_team)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pieper's leaving Garmin. Wont say where he off to but OPQS strong possibility...the Band's getting back together, boys!

Not taking Matt White's gig at GreenEdge?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    nic_77 wrote:
    2. insideinfo then subsequently asserted that "the reason why hes going to sign for Rabo is because of the location, based in Holland its not a big hop across the water from his base in Essex.". Whilst this could be a factor in Cav's decision, its very strange given than OPQS are presumably based in Belgium, and the last time I looked at a map Belgium was nearer to Essex than Holland.
    Those two countries share a border... there's not going to be much difference in how far you have to go from the UK
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Pieper's leaving Garmin. Wont say where he off to but OPQS strong possibility...the Band's getting back together, boys!

Yeah, other possibility of course, and would make some sense given his ties with CA. OPQS is defo being put out there as possible destination. Guess it also comes down to timing - Matt White only stepped down on Sat, so depends when AP signed new contract with...whoever....
  • nic_77
    adr82 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    Those two countries share a border... there's not going to be much difference in how far you have to go from the UK

Wow. That's my point exactly!!!!!
    It's a rubbish justification for a guess as to which team a rider will be joining...
  • Perhaps the reason he has not been able to update his Twitter account is that he is on a 'total immersion' course to learn Basque? E E has a considerable reputation within the peloton (I believe) for their (absent) bike handling skills. The prospect of an E E lead out train whets my appetite for next season.
    'fool'
  • nic_77 wrote:
    I'll put my hand up to calling the OP a troll... I did this for two reasons:

1. insideinfo started the thread with the assertion that "I've got it on good authority (friend works for them)". He has subsequently admitted that this is complete fabrication. Instead it seems that the rumour possibly came from a friend's girlfriend who may or may not be a junior sport journalist. If you have a source please declare it accurately

I mean insideinfo no harm. Please note that I used the world troll in the nicest possible way... he is a friendly troll, not the ugly sort that lives underneath a bridge. I'm also enjoying the thread, and I enjoy the speculation.

I don't have a clue where Cav will be next year, I could guess and even make up a variety of fictitious reasons to justify my guess - I just won't present them to you all as facts gathered from an un-named source using a new forum account.

Fair enough, but as ive said im only relaying info im hearing, the bit about location was just a snippet, more a point, as to one of the small reasons why its Rabo, as i said previously it wasnt the main reason at all. Ive not touched upon the main reason as i dont know what that is, i havent heard anything about it, ive simply heard where. As for the reasons your guess is as good as mine and mine would be a guess at that point. As for my contact, shes in a new job so im not about to go screwing it up for her by naming her, im sure you understand that.

But if you want to label me a troll, a nice one, i can live with that even if its not true, if it had been that troll from Dora the Explorer i wouldnt have been happy :lol: , but hey-ho, everyones entitled to their opinions.
  • nic_77
    Insideinfo wrote:
    But if you want to label me a troll, a nice one, i can live with that even if its not true, if it had been that troll from Dora the Explorer i wouldnt have been happy :lol: , but hey-ho, everyones entitled to their opinions.
    It was an emotive word. Sorry :)
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    nic_77 wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

Wow. That's my point exactly!!!!!
    It's a rubbish justification for a guess as to which team a rider will be joining...
    I agree, just wasn't sure what you meant exactly because of the way you worded it!
  • http://inrng.com/2012/10/the-end-of-euskadi/#more-11401

Signing Cav would solve their points problem and they have the money...
  • Insideinfo wrote:
    And is going to Rabobank. I've got it on good authority (friend works for them)

Crap. I'm Mark Cavendish and I am giving up road biking. I've been offered a job in Tesco.
  • ammapedal wrote:
    Insideinfo wrote:
    And is going to Rabobank. I've got it on good authority (friend works for them)

Crap. I'm Mark Cavendish and I am giving up road biking. I've been offered a job in Tesco.

Just as long as you get checkout number 1...
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    LangerDan wrote:

And Pieper joins BMC.... :wink:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    LangerDan wrote:

Well, the BMC red is sort of orangey
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:

Yes, I was totally wrong there. Off to Motorola Man's team.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Cav is giving up World Pro Tour; off to Farnessseeeseseseeee VINNNIIIiiiieeee (sic)

It's the Hi-Viz that lured him.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    symo wrote:
    Cav is giving up World Pro Tour; off to Farnessseeeseseseeee VINNNIIIiiiieeee (sic)

It's the Hi-Viz that lured him.

Makes a lot of sense actually. British registered team and Super Mario coming out of retirement to act as lead-out man (joining Guardini in the train). FV get a load of pro tour points and gain a spot. Cav loves Italy (does he still have a home there?). You've convinced me!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Well whaddaya know.

He was right

Cavs going to Rabobank

Confirmed here

At least I think so. It's in foreignish. But it's proof anyway.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Well whaddaya know.

He was right

Cavs going to Rabobank

Confirmed here

At least I think so. It's in foreignish. But it's proof anyway.

Cheeky....Posted 24 Jul....

EDIT: gullible, me? :oops:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sky Sports News have just announced on Twitter that Cav's going to OPQS

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/statu ... 5493153792
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    IT'S ALL OVER!

Best of luck, Cav.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    This should be interesting...
  • Prediction: the thread now evolves into why this is a terrible/terrific move... :wink:

And perhaps now he'll rejoin the Twitterverse
  • LeicesterLad
    I'm calling for InsideInfo to resign or at least be more transparent.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    People on Twitter already linking this to this morning's announcement from Sky and suggesting that he's leaving because he doesn't want to sign the anti-doping pledge FFS :(
  • LeicesterLad
    Graeme_S wrote:
    People on Twitter already linking this to this morning's announcement from Sky and suggesting that he's leaving because he doesn't want to sign the anti-doping pledge FFS :(

That truly is woeful.