Are Ribble Cycles notoriously slow?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    exlaser wrote:
    so to round up, after 9 pages.

1) ribble are slow and customer service is poor.

Nope -

1) Ribble are sometimes slow and customer service is occasionally poor. I think most of us are saying that we've never had any problems with Ribble customer service - and often had exemplary service.
    2) Ribble are cheap
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Ten pages of nowt! long live Ribble :D:D
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    rajMAN wrote:

Who's Ribble?
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Rolf F wrote:
    exlaser wrote:
    so to round up, after 9 pages.

1) ribble are slow and customer service is poor.

Nope -

1) Ribble are sometimes slow and customer service is occasionally poor. I think most of us are saying that we've never had any problems with Ribble customer service - and often had exemplary service.
    2) Ribble are cheap

to sum up my views.
    i like ribble. i have used ribble a lot. i will use ribble again.
    BUT i am not blind to their faults.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    If I was the CEO or MD of Ribble would this thread concern me:

Not really. The majority of the posters appear to recognise Ribble's level of service and good value for money with many being repeat customers. One unhappy Bustagut is not the end of the world. He got his goods slightly later than would be desired during a period when Ribble said they were busy and posting periods were likely to be extended.

Would I rush into work and give the team a hard time for not communicating?

Doubtful. They are busy and they said they were busy.

Would I look to improve the situation?

Yes but at reasonable cost. If Wiggle can not publish a phone number then Ribble could.

Would I start to spend big money improving communications?

Probably not. Employment of permanent staff may not be appropriate given the seasonaility of the market and the significant impact of the Olympics on Jo Public's interest in cycling. I would however look very carefully at medium term and long term sales patters as I suspect cycling ppularity is likely to continue to increase and Ribble need to respond to the resulting increase in demand for bikes and bike bits.
  • Navrig wrote:
    If I was the CEO or MD of Ribble would this thread concern me:

Not really. The majority of the posters appear to recognise Ribble's level of service and good value for money with many being repeat customers. One unhappy Bustagut is not the end of the world. He got his goods slightly later than would be desired during a period when Ribble said they were busy and posting periods were likely to be extended.

Would I rush into work and give the team a hard time for not communicating?

Doubtful. They are busy and they said they were busy.

Would I look to improve the situation?

Yes but at reasonable cost. If Wiggle can not publish a phone number then Ribble could.

Would I start to spend big money improving communications?

Probably not. Employment of permanent staff may not be appropriate given the seasonaility of the market and the significant impact of the Olympics on Jo Public's interest in cycling. I would however look very carefully at medium term and long term sales patters as I suspect cycling ppularity is likely to continue to increase and Ribble need to respond to the resulting increase in demand for bikes and bike bits.

I understand what you are saying but if i was the Ribble MD i would look at it like this.

Would i give the team a hard time for not communicating?
    Absolutely. If i have learned anything in business (and ive learned a lot) it always comes down to communication. Afterall, you only have to look at this thread to see how a small problem can go viral and spread. That then puts everyone off and you lose more custom.
    If i was the MD i would say to my staff 'communication is everything', even if you cant help someone, most people will accept that and be prepared to wait rather than wait having heard nothing. If you placed an order for £1500 on a new bike, paid for it, then waited 6 weeks without an email or a phone call, you would have a right to feel worried or let down, especially when that business is dealing with the public. But if Ribble rang you and even said 'extremely sorry, were just ringing to say there will be a delay due to 'x' but we will keep you posted so dont worry', it puts your mind at rest. You may be a bit miffed but you wont be half as p*ssed off if you didnt hear anything. The upshot of this would be the next time you tell a mate about 'Ribble' its a positive one and not a negative one.

Would i look to improve the situation?
    Just see above, of course i would. It wouldnt cost much to employ a couple of telephone operators to ring up customers and give them up to date information.

As a small company, Ribble cant afford to p*ss people off but they dont have to spend big money doing it, like i say, just a couple of telephone operators going over orders and informing people. Simplez. If Ribble were the size of Wiggle i would understand the machine needs more gears to make it work, but its not, therefore the ordering process should be easier and more informed.

As the MD of Ribble, i would then feel really happy having kept the punter happys, sit back in my big leather chair, smoking on a fat Cuban cigar, whilst the secretary was on her knees smoking on the old chap.
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    I have had a lengthy conversation with the Owner of Ribble (and its parent company) Mr James Dove. We spoke at length about all the problems I had with ordering my bike. He fully admitted their service level was terrible and blamed this on being a 'victim of our own success'. He also mentioned that it was hard to find good bike builders.

Lastly, he told me that if he were in my shoes, he'd take his money elsewhere.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • Great advert for continued business .
  • greentea, you make perfect sense.

I'm not sure that many people on this thread have any idea what running a successful business involves. I'm sure Ribble bikes are great, but ultimately, if they carry on like this it will catch up with them when there is someone else offering the same kind of deals, but also providing customer service. There was mention of the German company earlier in the thread - I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but if there is no option in the UK I will take my money abroad.

And that's the whole point of my comments in this thread - hopefully Ribble will see this (and all the other comments out there on the web) and want to take Ribble to the next level by fixing this. Just imagine if they got it right....maybe they'd be a global player selling around the world.
  • shane r wrote:
    I have had a lengthy conversation with the Owner of Ribble (and its parent company) Mr James Dove. We spoke at length about all the problems I had with ordering my bike. He fully admitted their service level was terrible and blamed this on being a 'victim of our own success'. He also mentioned that it was hard to find good bike builders.

See i find that unacceptable, he fully admits he knows there's a problem but he won't fix it.

Would you buy an apple pie from Tescos with no apple in it? could you imagine the store manager coming out and saying 'yeah we're fully aware our apple pies have no apple in but being Tesco we're a victim of our own success..'

Absolute f*cking b*llocks.

I've nowt against Ribble as company despite my bad dealings with them (more frustration rather than hatred) and actually think their bikes are good. It frustrates me more that they have a good brand but dont know how to use it.

I've been running my company for 16 years in central London, through thick and thin, despite a sh*t couple of years with the recession i even managed to steer the ship through that, so im more than sure i could steer Ribble into a better machine. Business is business, its just spotting the rot, dealing with it, then putting something else in place.

In Ribbles case, its customer service.
  • shane r wrote:

I believe this says it all.

Long live http://www.bike-discount.de !!
  • rolf_f
    greentea wrote:

See i find that unacceptable, he fully admits he knows there's a problem but he won't fix it.

Would you buy an apple pie from Tescos with no apple in it? could you imagine the store manager coming out and saying 'yeah we're fully aware our apple pies have no apple in but being Tesco we're a victim of our own success..'

Absolute f*cking b*llocks.

I've nowt against Ribble as company despite my bad dealings with them (more frustration rather than hatred) and actually think their bikes are good. It frustrates me more that they have a good brand but dont know how to use it.

If the quote is true it's a genuine Gerald Ratner moment. Disgusting really as he seems out of touch with his company. And it's an insult to the staff who most of us find very helpful.

Still - it's effectively meaningless hearsay. You can only go by personal experience. Mine has been good and even Bustacrapps hasn't been too bad even though his personality is too negative to realise it :wink:

Somewhat tragic though that Bustercrapp choses to cheer on a German company when there are other UK companies than Ribble. That's a great way to help our economy.........
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Somewhat tragic though that Bustercrapp choses to cheer on a German company when there are other UK companies than Ribble. That's a great way to help our economy.........

Yes but they are not as cheap as the german site. If they want to help our economy then try being less greedy and more competitive!! I'll shop wherever I get best service and best prices. I don't give 3 chits if some 2 bit Brit company with crap customer service goes out of business because of it either.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    shane r wrote:
    rajMAN wrote:

Who's Ribble?

mainImage.jpg
  • rolf_f
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Yes but they are not as cheap as the german site. If they want to help our economy then try being less greedy and more competitive!! I'll shop wherever I get best service and best prices. I don't give 3 chits if some 2 bit Brit company with crap customer service goes out of business because of it either.

I think it has something to do with exchange rates rather than greed - and why do you seem to have such a negative attitude to people? Particularly unpleasant childhood maybe?

And you don't seem to have actually understood what I said - so, to re-iterate....

It .... is.... somewhat... tragic....that..... Bustercrapp...chooses....to ..... cheer..... on.... a...... German...... company..... when...... there.....are .....other (ie other means another company - not the same one. A different one. ie not Ribble. Do you understand this? Is there anyway I could make it clearer? Shorter words maybe? :lol: )......than....... Ribble.

Still, no skin off my teeth - I'm unlikely to be affected by the recession anyway but plenty of others here are. Hopefully you can say the same.
  • Rolf F wrote:

I think it has something to do with exchange rates rather than greed - and why do you seem to have such a negative attitude to people? Particularly unpleasant childhood maybe?

And you don't seem to have actually understood what I said - so, to re-iterate....

It .... is.... somewhat... tragic....that..... Bustercrapp...chooses....to ..... cheer..... on.... a...... German...... company..... when...... there.....are .....other (ie other means another company - not the same one. A different one. ie not Ribble. Do you understand this? Is there anyway I could make it clearer? Shorter words maybe? :lol: )......than....... Ribble.

Still, no skin off my teeth - I'm unlikely to be affected by the recession anyway but plenty of others here are. Hopefully you can say the same.

Not misunderstood at all.

The only person who has misunderstood or is unable to read (and therefore was abused as a child in your logic?) is you.

The German site I mentioned is far cheaper than any British resellers I have come across. Okay?

I.....suggest....you....do...some.....research......before....posting.....in....future.

mmmmkay?
  • rolf_f
    Bustacapp wrote:

The only person who has misunderstood or is unable to read (and therefore was abused as a child in your logic?) is you.

See what I mean? You have such a negative attitude to everything - you automatically assume that an unpleasant childhood means abuse (that didn't occur to me when I made the comment). It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
  • I think you two are going to have to agree to disagree!

Lets find a common ground between you, there must be something you both agree on?

Froome would never have won the Tour regardless of what he thinks?
    Cycling tops are generally too small?
    No matter what we read, we all hate hill riding?
    Cavendish can, just sometimes, be a spoilt brat?

Etc etc..
  • rajMAN
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The German site I mentioned is far cheaper than any British resellers I have come across. Okay?

I.....suggest....you....do...some.....research......before....posting.....in....future.

mmmmkay?

Dont mention the War!! I did but I think I got away with it. :shock:
  • rolf_f
    greentea wrote:
    I think you two are going to have to agree to disagree!

Lets find a common ground between you, there must be something you both agree on?

Froome would never have won the Tour regardless of what he thinks?
    Cycling tops are generally too small?
    No matter what we read, we all hate hill riding?
    Cavendish can, just sometimes, be a spoilt brat?

Etc etc..

That was extraordinarily well timed as I was just thinking it was time to bow out, bloodied but gracious in defeat. Well, no - I won't admit to that. I'll never be beaten. Besides, somebody mentioned the war!

But anyway - yes, I don't think Froome would have won the tour, cycling tops are not too small for my svelte figure, one day I was cycling near Harrogate, climbing up a hill, when I realised I was enjoying it! It's what I do best. It's hard at the time but the feeling of having blasted past folk and got to the top alive can't be beaten. Besides, if you live in Yorkshire and don't like climbing hills you don't like cycling! Cav can be a bit of a brat but it is endearing!
  • Back to topic, I've been waiting for my Ribble bike for over 3 weeks. Normally build time is within 5 days, but at the moment they're looking at a 20 (working) day wait for a build, all down to the Olympics/Wiggo effect. I don't mind waiting when I know I'm getting a quality product. Here's to an Indian summer. Failing that, the turbo trainer's getting some hammer...
    I am considerably more rock and roll than you.

Road. Mountain. Up hill and down dale...
  • God, I'm loving the people who are backing the bargain for your buck cycle store. I also love the people who totally understand that they are extremely busy, BUT Christ there are too many bitches in this thread. What you bitches should be doing is spending less time on your shiny arses and actually get out on your bike. You never know you may realise that the world isn't actually a bad place. This thread is actually getting quite repetitive now and is very boring
  • God, I'm loving the people who are backing the bargain for your buck cycle store. I also love the people who totally understand that they are extremely busy, BUT Christ there are too many bitches in this thread. What you bitches should be doing is spending less time on your shiny arses and actually get out on your bike. You never know you may realise that the world isn't actually a bad place. This thread is actually getting quite repetitive now and is very boring

This post is retarded on so many levels.
  • To the OP.

No they aren't. I've ordered pair of tubulars and cement and I've received it after 2 days. No complaints + huge consumer surplus as I've paid a little bit more for 2 than I would pay for 1 from a different retailer.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    erm............this IS (cue dramatic music) "the thread that refused to die..! "

On a serious note though, I always try to support british business and therefore the UK economy whenever I can, so I would support Ribble and buy from them for that reason alone, when more than one shop sells the same item at approx the same price.

As for Ribble sales being slow at the moment due to to a huge backlog of orders, then buyer beware i guess.

If you really can't wait, then just cancel your order and buy from someone else I guess.

Horses for courses as they say....
  • jay197 wrote:
    If you really can't wait, then just cancel your order and buy from someone else I guess.

About 10 times in this thread I've mentioned that I couldn't cancel my order due to them not communicating. :roll:

Honestly why can't people read the thread before lobbing their 2 p's worth in?
  • rolf_f
    Bustacapp wrote:
    jay197 wrote:

Because this is an internet forum and this is how they work! :lol:

I actually agree with you re monsterhills post though I wouldn't phrase it in the same way. It's funny when people start going on about how people shouldn't be posting here but should be out on their bike as though the two are mutually exclusive. eg I've done nearly 5000 miles this year so far - at what point does my riding count as 'actually getting out on the bike'?! :lol:
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Bustacapp wrote:
    jay197 wrote:
    Haa! With the thread now at 11 pages and 20 - 22 posts per page thats 230 separate posts of repetitive non-constructive whining to sift through. Frankly life is too short, hold on, what am I doing here adding to it....? Erghh. :oops:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I actually agree with you re monsterhills post though I wouldn't phrase it in the same way. It's funny when people start going on about how people shouldn't be posting here but should be out on their bike as though the two are mutually exclusive. eg I've done nearly 5000 miles this year so far - at what point does my riding count as 'actually getting out on the bike'?! :lol:

At last! Something we agree on!

With regard to Monsterhills post - he's in the thread, not on his bike, bitching and posting about people in the thread, not on their bikes, bitchling and posting!!
    jackie+chan+my+brain+is+full+of+fuck+meme+blank+template+lol+wtf.jpg
  • rajMAN
    What else could possibly be added to this thread? other than, are we at page 12 yet? :D