Are Ribble Cycles notoriously slow?

Comments

• Bustacapp wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    So have you actually complained to Ribble or are you as spineless as your internet persona :?:

It takes spine to complain? What sort of slackjawed world do you live in? And who would I complain to? The automated telephone machine or the automated email machine????

How about you do as your name suggests and shut up!

What would be the nature of your complaint? Which of Ribble's T's&C's have been breached?

Rob
  • Ber Nard wrote:

What would be the nature of your complaint? Which of Ribble's T's&C's have been breached?

Rob

Their delays are frustrating but forgivable, so my nature of complaint would be aimed almost purely at their complete lack of interaction. Whether or not they have contravened their t & c's is irrelevant. If you were to go into a cake shop and order a cake, only for the assistant to throw a lump of dog muck in your face, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything about dog muck in their t & c's either.

Also - due to their lack of customer interaction, I have no confidence my complaint will even be read, so will be sending it to the office of fair trading instead.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

Rob

Their delays are frustrating but forgivable, so my nature of complaint would be aimed almost purely at their complete lack of interaction. Whether or not they have contravened their t & c's is irrelevant. If you were to go into a cake shop and order a cake, only for the assistant to throw a lump of dog muck in your face, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything about dog muck in their t & c's either.

Also - due to their lack of customer interaction, I have no confidence my complaint will even be read, so will be sending it to the office of fair trading instead.
    Slow (but not all that slow) order and poor communication is now being compared to assault with dog poo. Do you have any idea just how out of proportion you are being here? OFT? :roll:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hello Bustacapp - I've written a letter for you to save you time.

Dear Office of Fair Trading

I wish to complain about Ribble Cycles complete failure to breach their terms and conditions. Can somebody please DO SOMETHING!

Regards......Bustacapp
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bompington wrote:
    Slow (but not all that slow) order and poor communication is now being compared to assault with dog poo. Do you have any idea just how out of proportion you are being here? OFT? :roll:

I was merely illustrating a point.

Anyhow, I won't really write to the OFT because I can't be bothered. But I certainly won't be shopping at Ribble again!!
  • Rolf F wrote:

I wish to complain about Ribble Cycles complete failure to breach their terms and conditions. Can somebody please DO SOMETHING!

Regards......Bustacapp

Crap post.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My experience with Ribble:

I tried to buy a bike from them (I had £1k to spend), but they were not answering the phone for several days. When I did get through the chap was quite rude (wouldn't answer any questions about bike/frame warranty). I decided that a bike purchase would be unwise as any after sales service was likely to be even poorer than their efforts at selling. I am aware that communication with Ribble has been a problem for other people.

I have bought many lower cost items from them because they are cheap, and I am prepared to wait.

Many vendors take the money from your account and then order the item from the suppliers; as far as I understand this is contrary to the legal requirement to take the customers money only when the item is ready to ship.

Some vendors advertise items as in stock when they are not, as far as I understand, this is either bad practice or illegal, suffice to say that the ASA censured D Hinde for this very same practice.

The two practices can obviously go hand-in-hand, and it seems to be a "business model" adopted by the less scrupulous end of the market.

Whether or not the above two practices apply to Ribble I do not know, but if the cap fits . . .

I completely accept that a lower price may mean poorer service, and therefore one should consider the real value that one will get in this respect (i.e. paying more can sometimes be a better option if service is important), but when vendors actually flout accepted standards of practice or even the law, they need to be called to account.

The OP has grounds for complaint if the above applies in this case, and those that suggest that his complaints are wrong are perhaps being a little unfair, notwithstanding, some of this thread seems to have become a little overblown.

Sorry to resort to avoiding insult and invective :wink:
  • bompington
    alfablue wrote:
    Oh dear, you're clearly not joining in the spirit of this thread...
  • alfablue wrote:
    My experience with Ribble:

I tried to buy a bike from them (I had £1k to spend), but they were not answering the phone for several days. When I did get through the chap was quite rude (wouldn't answer any questions about bike/frame warranty). I decided that a bike purchase would be unwise as any after sales service was likely to be even poorer than their efforts at selling. I am aware that communication with Ribble has been a problem for other people.

I have bought many lower cost items from them because they are cheap, and I am prepared to wait.

Many vendors take the money from your account and then order the item from the suppliers; as far as I understand this is contrary to the legal requirement to take the customers money only when the item is ready to ship.

Some vendors advertise items as in stock when they are not, as far as I understand, this is either bad practice or illegal, suffice to say that the ASA censured D Hinde for this very same practice.

The two practices can obviously go hand-in-hand, and it seems to be a "business model" adopted by the less scrupulous end of the market.

Whether or not the above two practices apply to Ribble I do not know, but if the cap fits . . .

I completely accept that a lower price may mean poorer service, and therefore one should consider the real value that one will get in this respect (i.e. paying more can sometimes be a better option if service is important), but when vendors actually flout accepted standards of practice or even the law, they need to be called to account.

The OP has grounds for complaint if the above applies in this case, and those that suggest that his complaints are wrong are perhaps being a little unfair, notwithstanding, some of this thread seems to have become a little overblown.

At last the voice of reason!!

I knew I wasn't going mad.
  • bompington
    Bustacapp wrote:
    At last someone who's something like me, even though he isn't being such a drama queen about it
    FTFY
  • rolf_f
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Regards......Bustacapp

Crap post.

Wooshhhh!

Never mind. You might be right. After all, who would know more about crap posts than you :wink:
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
    Bustacapp can't be bothered complaining because he is too busy trying to change his tyre :lol:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    Bustacapp can't be bothered complaining because he is too busy trying to change his tyre :lol:

Fixed it thanks. Just needed a bit more pressure. I did learn something about seating the tyre near the valve area which may prove invaluable.
  • bompington wrote:
    At last someone who's not a biased mug like Bompington.

FTFY
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    alfablue wrote:

Generally a good post but I would disagree with the above. Lower price doesn't necessarily mean poorer service, perhaps just a different one:
  • bompington
    Bustacapp wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    At last someone who's not a biased mug like Bompington.

FTFY
    $(KGrHqNHJCcE9BdU0PDJBPYWttILoQ~~60_57.JPG
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    I bet Ribble are pissing themselves at this tripe of a thread!
  • rolf_f
    alfablue wrote:

Well, irrc, Bustercapp or is alter ego had the money taken a couple of days ago. Since Ribble clearly state that they don't do this until they are ready to send the item, we should be expecting a post from him which is either a furious rant that Ribble still haven't supplied the item or a reply explaining that he has received it.
  • To be fair, it is a bit annoying when you assume that you will be picking a new bike up today and can't get confirmation that it is ready, or that it will be delayed. I can accept delays without having a hissy fit, but it irks a little when you can't get an answer by phone or Email
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Well, irrc, Bustercapp or is alter ego had the money taken a couple of days ago. Since Ribble clearly state that they don't do this until they are ready to send the item, we should be expecting a post from him which is either a furious rant that Ribble still haven't supplied the item or a reply explaining that he has received it.

No matter what happens, nobody can take away the fact that Ribble have a shocking customer service policy.

Perhaps they should rename themselves 'dribble', in homage to their devout worshippers probable handicap!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    So you got the stuff then ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • navrig
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

No matter what happens, nobody can take away the fact that Ribble have a shocking customer service policy.

[Pedant mode on] I am sure their Customer Service Policy is perfectly good and, more than likely, in line with every other retailer. You are challenging the application of their policy to the service you perceive you have received. [Pedant mode off].
  • smidsy wrote:

Aye. Came today in the post. ;)
  • Navrig wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

[Pedant mode on] I am sure their Customer Service Policy is perfectly good and, more than likely, in line with every other retailer. You are challenging the application of their policy to the service you perceive you have received. [Pedant mode off].

No. Their customer service policy is shjt. Do you just pick out the replies you want to see? are you a politician?

Did you catch John Terry?
  • navrig
    greentea wrote:
    Navrig wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

No. Their customer service policy is shjt. Do you just pick out the replies you want to see? are you a politician?

No. I just like to see a balanced view when someone has a rant about a supplier/retailer.
    greentea wrote:
    Did you catch John Terry?

No idea. What are the symptoms and can Chamois Cream fix it?
  • I've been watching this post with a vested interest.

I have a gran condo on order with ribblecycles (ordered on 27thap August)
    Now I did my homework before ordering from Ribble and knew not to expect my bike overnight, but i have to agree with a lot of the comments made so far.

In this day and age to merely have a ore recorded message stating nobody will answer the phone is shocking customer service, in my experience if you keep people updated regarding any delay to orders etc they don't feel disgruntled.

The status of my order has never changed since 27/08 but I did get a pretty generic response to a query on my bike order.
    To say Ribble is a small family company is a bit of a false statement, they have a multi million pound turn over and their customer service department (or lack of) hasn't grown in relation to their size.

I chose Ribble for their unbeatable price and accept all that brings, but they really do need to get this customer service/order processing business resolved.

Just my opinion :?
  • navrig
    I am going to come across as though I have shares in Ribble. I don't. I have simply found them to be good value for buying bikes and bike bits.

In relation to not answering the phone. I've just looked on the Wiggle website and under "Contact us" it states:
    Unfortunately we do not offer a call centre facility, however if you could direct your query by email to sales@wiggle.co.uk a customer service representative will be in touch shortly.

So what's worse, offering a number but not answering or stating that you can't call them?

CRC give a number to call.

Evans give a number to call.
  • Navrig wrote:
    I am going to come across as though I have shares in Ribble. I don't. I have simply found them to be good value for buying bikes and bike bits.

In relation to not answering the phone. I've just looked on the Wiggle website and under "Contact us" it states:
    Unfortunately we do not offer a call centre facility, however if you could direct your query by email to sales@wiggle.co.uk a customer service representative will be in touch shortly.

So what's worse, offering a number but not answering or stating that you can't call them?

CRC give a number to call.

Evans give a number to call.

Chill out Navrig, have a Tunnocks tea cake, watch a series of Still Game and take a deep breath, you numpty.

I dread to think what you get like when the local neds start giving you grief!
    :D
  • rolf_f
    Bustacapp wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Aye. Came today in the post. ;)

So about five working days then? Was it really worth all the hissy fitting?

FWIW, I think their main problem is a degree of disorganisation. They did last week have a big sale and an announcement that you might have to wait longer than average for delivery. But the notice disappeared pretty quickly so that wasn't helpful. Also, around the time of the cycle shows they tend to empty out the showroom and focus too much on that and not enough on the day job - sometimes they publicise this and sometimes not.

So round about now is probably the worse time to be trying to get a response out of them - and that isn't really helpful if you aren't interested in their big sale or the cycle show.

But, personally, I've never had any problem contacting them by phone and I've not had too much trouble with email either. But I know to not be surprised if the email response is slow. If I want a quick answer, I always phone.
  • navrig
    I am chilled, just don't use the smilies enough as they are not on the Quick Reply option.

Don't have local Neds here - biggest grief are tractors and, at this time of year, combine harvesters around each corner. Not sure even Ribble could fix an altercation with one of them. They can most other things though 8)