Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    CarbonClem wrote:
    [Proper little virtue signaller aren’t you.

:?

Is that what you put when you realise there is no actual defence?

Maybe just try not to be a d1ck.

You actually expect me to justify myself to you? Why? you cant even express yourself without insulting.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,607
    CarbonClem wrote:

You actually expect me to justify myself to you? Why? you cant even express yourself without insulting.

Because you didn't attempt to justify yourself, did you, before pulling out diversion statements. It's fine, there is no defence, its academic. You just confirmed a type, that's all.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    for those who havent listened to Freakonomics, an investment manager who Armstrong knew advised him to invest $100k in an new firm called Uber who he himself was investing a considerable sum in. Uber was valued at $3 million. ffwd and Uber may well be a $120 billion dollars in 2019. Now if Armstrong has 3% of that it's happy days but the guy he knew is the real brains.
  • Vino'sGhost
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

Because you didn't attempt to justify yourself, did you, before pulling out diversion statements. It's fine, there is no defence, its academic. You just confirmed a type, that's all.

Theres no need for me to justify myself, the only surprising thing is that you think that you deserve a justification from me, i dont need to defend anything since its a well known statement of fact, you however are ascribing names, an approach frequently used by social media mobs of extreme left or right sentiments to censure or control.

My question remains; Why do you think i should explain or justify myself to you? oh offended one?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    didn't Armstrong call himself 'Juan Pelota' on social media or something?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,607
    Theres no need for me to justify myself, the only surprising thing is that you think that you deserve a justification from me, i dont need to defend anything since its a well known statement of fact, you however are ascribing names, an approach frequently used by social media mobs of extreme left or right sentiments to censure or control.

My question remains; Why do you think i should explain or justify myself to you? oh offended one?

Correct, you have no need to justify what you type. Its a web forum, mostly un moderated, you can put what you want. However, as a community, other members can call you out on stuff and request further justification.

I asked as I can't imagine another scenario where such a jibe would be acceptable. Would you call a chemo patient 'baldy'? Would you call a female breast cancer patient 'no tits'? etc etc .... well, you might, but it wouldn't be acceptable socially, and you would probably be called out on it. So, I wondered if you were aware that the nature of your insults were offensive, and if so, your motivation behind them.

But, don't worry. You don't have to answer.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Vino'sGhost
    didn't Armstrong call himself 'Juan Pelota' on social media or something?

Yes he did, and named a cafe after himself :)
  • Vino'sGhost
    CarbonClem wrote:

Correct, you have no need to justify what you type. Its a web forum, mostly un moderated, you can put what you want. However, as a community, other members can call you out on stuff and request further justification.

I asked as I can't imagine another scenario where such a jibe would be acceptable. Would you call a chemo patient 'baldy'? Would you call a female breast cancer patient 'no tits'? etc etc .... well, you might, but it wouldn't be acceptable socially, and you would probably be called out on it. So, I wondered if you were aware that the nature of your insults were offensive, and if so, your motivation behind them.

But, don't worry. You don't have to answer.

Thanks for letting me know that.
  • That's the first time I've seen Armstrong admit it was the way he acted that caused the major backlash against him.

To be honest, I like him about the same amount as Millar now, whatever that means
  • Vino'sGhost
    That's the first time I've seen Armstrong admit it was the way he acted that caused the major backlash against him.

To be honest, I like him about the same amount as Millar now, whatever that means

i saw that, and hes right, for me at least it wasnt so much what he did but how he did it. Im not that keen on Millar either.
  • There is still hope for Armstrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46768802
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • There is still hope for Armstrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46768802

That's what happens when you follow the Alberto Contador diet.
  • Vino'sGhost
    90......... Probably needed to do a good performance to get a contract for next year. :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,376
    I heard that he would only sign a contract with Fixodent.

I'll get my coat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Frankly I'd be more suspicious of a 90 year old cyclist who isn't taking anything.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Yes seen this mentioned a few times. Doubt he will fully come clean, it will still be on his teams.

His ego can’t take the fact he wasn’t a superstar without the drugs
  • amrushton
    Most if not all from that era were just the same
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Yes they all cheated, but few had the UCI in their pocket, plus in the 99 tour the peloton was cleaner due to the events of 98. One team turned up and made a mockery of that
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    sherer said:

Yes they all cheated, but few had the UCI in their pocket, plus in the 99 tour the peloton was cleaner due to the events of 98. One team turned up and made a mockery of that

Exactly that. '98 was a severe warning. '99 had the possibility of being a fresh start.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited June 2020
    LA's biggest mistake was coming back. As Millar put it when asked after a stage in the TDF "I hope he's not coming back for a glory run!".
  • amrushton
    Millar lost the lost when he got busted. Virenque didn't as far as I am aware. Armstrong said that coming back was the mistake that led to his fall. 15 yrs ago now, 2 generations of cyclists, does it matter? Lots of other sports still up to mischief, Russia even have state sponsored doping and seemingly get a pass. Nike as well?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    sherer said:

1999 had already seen Vandenbroucke romping around LBL in the big ring and Pantani exiting the Giro with high HCT. The narrative that cycling had cleaned up after 98 is nonsense.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    edited May 2020
    RichN95. said:

1999 had already seen Vandenbroucke romping around LBL in the big ring and Pantani exiting the Giro with high HCT. The narrative that cycling had cleaned up after 98 is nonsense.

but, but what about Le Tour du renouveau ? https://www.humanite.fr/node/211129
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • amrushton
    RichN95. said:

sherer said:

Interestingly 2 cyclists who died prematurely due to mental health issues.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Really enjoyed pt2 of the 30 30 documentary tonight, pt 1 was ok but coming off the back watching The Last Dance I was a little disappointed but tonight I felt he did give us his truth .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Tangent, but a) the last dance was really fun but not as revealing as I really hoped it'd be and b) I found MJ and Armstrong remarkably similar.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274

Tangent, but a) the last dance was really fun but not as revealing as I really hoped it'd be and b) I found MJ and Armstrong remarkably similar.

I'm going to get Netflix for a couple of months mainly just to watch this - I haven't watched basketball before or since, but I used to stay up to watch Jordan and Pippen, and that music for the entrance of YOUR Chicago Bulls... I'm convinced once the lights went down and the music started, the opponents had already lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZouQGpdQ8Q
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743

I'm going to get Netflix for a couple of months mainly just to watch this - I haven't watched basketball before or since, but I used to stay up to watch Jordan and Pippen, and that music for the entrance of YOUR Chicago Bulls... I'm convinced once the lights went down and the music started, the opponents had already lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZouQGpdQ8Q
    Oh if you did that you'll absolutely love it.

It's just wall-to-wall MJ and Bulls nostalgia.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Yeah KG, you'll love it!

As someone that always rather struggled with Bball - a legacy of being a short ass is my excuse and I'm sticking to it - I had a similar experience to Rick.

I guess it would be the same with any sport one wasn't in to. Can't imagine many non-cyclists watched a Sunday in Hell for example...

Has anyone actually seen this bloomin' Armstrong doc yet? I listened to an Outside Magazine podcast with the interviewer but it was light on details
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver