Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

1233234235236237239»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,872
    He never could leave it alone .....real weakness ....cost him everything that stupid comeback
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

• Old dopers uniting on Twitter. Pat yourselves on the back, lads.
    worryingly, Ben Wiggins appears to approve.

It is a complex area though. Especially once you start getting know people. It is not black and white to those even vaguely close to it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    To a large extent from a sporting point of view it's irrelevant whether he is credited with his "wins" or not. I consider him to have won 7 tours but to have won them by doping - albeit largely against other dopers. In other words we all know the facts and whatever some UCI committee decides - influenced of course as they have to be by PR and financial considerations - doesn't change those facts.

If I was discussing the greatest Tour rider of all time he'd have to be in the conversation. The doping wouldn't be irrelevant but neither would standing on the top step of the podium 7 times.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643

To a large extent from a sporting point of view it's irrelevant whether he is credited with his "wins" or not. I consider him to have won 7 tours but to have won them by doping - albeit largely against other dopers. In other words we all know the facts and whatever some UCI committee decides - influenced of course as they have to be by PR and financial considerations - doesn't change those facts.

If I was discussing the greatest Tour rider of all time he'd have to be in the conversation. The doping wouldn't be irrelevant but neither would standing on the top step of the podium 7 times.

Who won the 2006 tour then?

I'm happy with the idea that Contador won the 2011 Giro.
  • I don't think many consider Ben Johnson the actual winner of the Olympic gold in 1988.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Who won the 2006 tour then?

I'm happy with the idea that Contador won the 2011 Giro.

It's a grey area but I think I'd say Pereira albeit I wouldn't really count it as being in a par with most Tour wins.

I mean we all know the events - whether we describe them as winning or not seems secondary.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I don't think many consider Ben Johnson the actual winner of the Olympic gold in 1988.

True but incredible when one looks at the aftermath of Seoul.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

I don't think many consider Ben Johnson the actual winner of the Olympic gold in 1988.

Flo-jo still having the WRs is a farce.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

I don't think many consider Ben Johnson the actual winner of the Olympic gold in 1988.

Not to mention Kratochvílová.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    phreak said:

Not to mention Kratochvílová.
    Indeed.

Am hoping Mu and Hodgkinson might push each other close to the 800 WR in the next few years, esp. with the super-shoes they have now.

400 WR looks totally unbeatable as things stand.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    The only way I see the female 400 and 800m WR falling in the next decade is if the IAAF gets it very wrong with transgender athletes. Mind you, male long jump also looks similarly unreachable to me, but what do I know...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver