Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    ...better choices are pretty thin on the ground.

Most of them are, at best, the same age as me
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    FocusZing wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    I would have thought that was obvious, talking about LA with the now hindsight as an Icon of pro cycling. Especially when you still have influence on a younger generation. Do you want kids growing up to hero worship the psychopaths of society?

I don’t think Armstrong is a psychopath - but to use your terminology, “psychopaths of society” are often those that are hero worshiped: check out “National Hero” Winston Churchill’s palmares, for a start... Their “psychopathy” is usually applied retrospectively when folk have got their achievements/methodology in perspective.
    I would’ve thought it would be much more pertinent to teach your kids to not be a massive bellend to start with. And in so doing, that would eradicate 95% of celebrities as role models for a start.

So is LA a pro cycling icon you want your kids to admire and look up to?

There are others I would promote before him.
    But remind me which cycling icons before him didn’t dope?
  • ocdupalais
    It’s the inherent problem with citing anyone as a hero if you’re involving rules/morality: one is usually bigging up their achievements rather than their personality. Yet, as we see with Armstrong, that seems to be difficult for many.

Last night, Raheem Sterling tripped over some grass in the penalty area and got a penalty. The world and it’s brother could see it wasn’t a penalty, yet he said nowt. Sporting role model or cheating bast@rd?
    It’s easier with, say, music. Jimi Hendrix and Thelonious Monks both did lots of drugs and Joni Mitchell is apparently a reclusive and difficult old bag; am I going to tell my kids not to listen to them? Hell no.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    I would have thought that was obvious, talking about LA with the now hindsight as an Icon of pro cycling. Especially when you still have influence on a younger generation. Do you want kids growing up to hero worship the psychopaths of society?

I don’t think Armstrong is a psychopath - but to use your terminology, “psychopaths of society” are often those that are hero worshiped: check out “National Hero” Winston Churchill’s palmares, for a start... Their “psychopathy” is usually applied retrospectively when folk have got their achievements/methodology in perspective.
    I would’ve thought it would be much more pertinent to teach your kids to not be a massive bellend to start with. And in so doing, that would eradicate 95% of celebrities as role models for a start.

I will take that as a no then.
  • ocdupalais
    FocusZing wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

I will take that as a no then.

Please do.

And then say things like, “I rest my case!”, and, “talk to the hand cos the face ain’t listening”, etc, just to make sure everyone gets your complete and utter binary grasp of the situation.
    Sport seems to be about rules, codes, results and the pursuit of excellence, character, etc...
    Professional sport seems to be about looking for every opportunity to get publicity, kudos, notoriety, etc, with results being a nice bonus. Squeeze the margins because the profits are greater.
    In other words, it’s the same model as any other business.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Last night, Raheem Sterling tripped over some grass in the penalty area and got a penalty. The world and it’s brother could see it wasn’t a penalty, yet he said nowt. Sporting role model or cheating bast@rd?
    My philosophy from playing hockey is that I shouldn't/don't complain to the umpire when he gets it wrong against my team, so why should I point it out when he gets it wrong in our favour.

Having said that, Man City were 3-0 up at the time so it was missed opportunity for a bit of good PR.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My philosophy from playing hockey is that I shouldn't/don't complain to the umpire when he gets it wrong against my team, so why should I point it out when he gets it wrong in our favour.

Having said that, Man City were 3-0 up at the time so it was missed opportunity for a bit of good PR.

Man City were 1-0 up at the time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Think-of-the-Children.jpg
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    You ain't all that and a sack of potatoes. Talk to the hand Chasey, TALK TO THE HAND!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    joe2008 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Man City were 1-0 up at the time.
    So they were. They got a different penalty at 3-0
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

this, together with being better than Bowyer, Vardy, Rooney if you want to take it out of cycling and no worse than Moscon or Dopey Millar.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    It’s the inherent problem with citing anyone as a hero if you’re involving rules/morality: one is usually bigging up their achievements rather than their personality. Yet, as we see with Armstrong, that seems to be difficult for many.

It’s easier with, say, music. Jimi Hendrix and Thelonious Monks both did lots of drugs and Joni Mitchell is apparently a reclusive and difficult old bag; am I going to tell my kids not to listen to them? Hell no.

Listen to their music yes, emulate their personal choices no.

The difference between those musicians is that they didnt smash loads of drugs to get creative at the expense of others. Hendrix wasnt insisting his band all took massive amounts of LSD though at times it might look like that.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    ^ and we can all feel morally uplifted that Landis got a big bag of cash out of it.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    Nice to hear a good news story at Christmas Time :)

:lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,562

Another reason not to use Uber then...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

He talked about this investment in his excellent Freakomonics interview.

He had a couple of other really decent investments - Docusign too I think
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Money makes money.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Money makes money.

Only when it's used with some brains. People seem to forget that part, a lot of highly paid professional athletes end up going bankrupt
  • ocdupalais
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

Only when it's used with some brains. People seem to forget that part, a lot of highly paid professional athletes end up going bankrupt

That's true to some extent- but I'd argue that "brains" in the vast majority of successful investments could be more accurately described as a mix of common sense, confidence, ego and an abundance of stuff to invest. And in the olden days, insider knowledge. Obviously, the latter couldn't possibly happen any more.
    How many of Armstrong's other investments lost him money? As with any investor - that's a more accurate measure of "brains".
  • Matthewfalle
    Money makes money.

not really. look at dotard. inherited shedloads, bankrupt 3 times,haemorraging cash everywhere.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

That's true to some extent- but I'd argue that "brains" in the vast majority of successful investments could be more accurately described as a mix of common sense, confidence, ego and an abundance of stuff to invest. And in the olden days, insider knowledge. Obviously, the latter couldn't possibly happen any more.
    How many of Armstrong's other investments lost him money? As with any investor - that's a more accurate measure of "brains".

By Armstrongs own admission he had no idea what he was investing in. I dont think Armstrong is anyone to look at as the messiah.

One balled twat.
  • ocdupalais
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

By Armstrongs own admission he had no idea what he was investing in. I dont think Armstrong is anyone to look at as the messiah.

One balled fool.
    It seems that most messiahs are having a torrid time of things too, at the moment. I blame Brexit.
  • carbonclem
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

One balled fool.

Do you often use the results of cancer as an insult, or is it just online? Or just for Lance?
  • Vino'sGhost
    CarbonClem wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

One balled fool.

Do you often use the results of cancer as an insult, or is it just online? Or just for Lance?

Why?
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

One balled fool.

Why?

Interested. It certainly makes you look a proper piece of work . So many insults to hang on Lance and you choose that one.
  • Matthewfalle
    he's not the only one. someone not a million miles from this post made a rather horrible comment along those lines a couple of weeks back that showed their true character.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Money makes money.

One balled fool.

Why?

Interested. It certainly makes you look a proper piece of work . So many insults to hang on Lance and you choose that one.

Proper little virtue signaller aren’t you.
  • carbonclem
    [Proper little virtue signaller aren’t you.

:?

Is that what you put when you realise there is no actual defence?

Maybe just try not to be a d1ck.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Mr. Godwin needs to expand his law to include, snowflake, triggered, virtue signalling...

Sensibility rarely ever follows...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver