Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403

gweeds said:

I've watched Pt1 but not Pt2 yet.

I always find him compelling to watch. What I didn't realise is just how naturally gifted he was at such a young age. He comes across as a total censored of course, and an absolute nightmare to live with or be in a team with.

Oh yeah. I mean, look how young he was to win the worlds!

The sad thing is is that the doping distorted everything so much it's more or less impossible to write up a ranking of how talented they all would have been without the juice.

Doping or no doping he was an absolute monster of an athlete and a competitor.

At the time, to win you needed to have a great doping system and he managed to monopolise the best doping dr out there.

It was the energy he had left over from training to go out and do all that extra, whether it was the kit or the doping or the personal vendettas.

In that respect he's a lot like MJ, especially how he used slights to motivate him to do well.
    Lance Armstrong was the best.

Just like Jan Ulrich said: it is not cheating when everybody is on the same substances.

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    zest28 said:

gweeds said:

I always find him compelling to watch. What I didn't realise is just how naturally gifted he was at such a young age. He comes across as a total censored of course, and an absolute nightmare to live with or be in a team with.

The sad thing is is that the doping distorted everything so much it's more or less impossible to write up a ranking of how talented they all would have been without the juice.

At the time, to win you needed to have a great doping system and he managed to monopolise the best doping dr out there.

It was the energy he had left over from training to go out and do all that extra, whether it was the kit or the doping or the personal vendettas.

In that respect he's a lot like MJ, especially how he used slights to motivate him to do well.

Just like Jan Ulrich said: it is not cheating when everybody is on the same substances.

You don't win 7 TDFs without being f@cking awesome whatever the parameters.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    joe2019 said:

zest28 said:

gweeds said:

You don't win 7 TDFs by getting caught having f@cking awesome doping programme either.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2020

joe2019 said:

zest28 said:

gweeds said:

You don't win 7 TDFs by getting caught having f@cking awesome doping programme either.

...and in this case you don't win 7 TDFs without having acted like a complete **** towards honest people that said you were doing it and who were 100% correct.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2020
    ...and in this case not without acting like a complete **** towards honest people who knew you were doing it and were 100% right.
  • joe2019
    edited July 2020

joe2019 said:

zest28 said:

gweeds said:

• joe2019
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

zest28 said:

gweeds said:

And who wouldn't have swapped out for that f@cking awesome doping program?

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    zest28 said:

gweeds said:

Interesting. I thought everyone on this site believed that LA was doing BETTER drugs than all the rest.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    No he had the better system and the authorities in his pocket.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    No! Is this back?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818

No! Is this back?

Traffic must be slow on the triathlete forum again.
    Still, looking on the bright side, Dennis's radar is still working
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

No! Is this back?

Just consider me always lurking.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    dennisn said:

No! Is this back?

Just consider me always lurking.
    No one cares.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740

No! Is this back?

Soz I mentioned his podcast and the throwback episodes.

Disappointing generally. Not really shining a new light on any of it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited February 2021
    The Program - the Armstrong film with actors - is on iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000by0g/the-program

I'd not actually seen it before
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    Just watched that. A bit facile. Bigging up Floyd Landis?? 😳 Overall impression: like a stone just skipping over the surface.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    orraloon said:

Just watched that. A bit facile. Bigging up Floyd Landis?? 😳 Overall impression: like a stone just skipping over the surface.

All I can remember about it was a press conference was held in far flashier location than any real one and the racing sequences weren't awful which I expected. Although Fleche Wallonne looked more like Paris-Roubaix.

Also Armstrong is one of the more likeable characters Ben Foster has played. I preferred Landis in Breaking Bad though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Just finished watching this. I'm new to all this and I remember watching as a young man one or two of the tours that Lance won but now that I'm more into cycling, I wonder if doping still goes on in professional cycling? Have watched all there is to watch on cycling and I never knew that some doping has always existed in the sport and will always do?
  • RichN95.
    abishek_l said:

Just finished watching this. I'm new to all this and I remember watching as a young man one or two of the tours that Lance won but now that I'm more into cycling, I wonder if doping still goes on in professional cycling? Have watched all there is to watch on cycling and I never knew that some doping has always existed in the sport and will always do?

Doping in cycling is a Welsh invention. Choppy Warburton doping three lads from Merthyr back in 1896.

As for how much goes on now. Who knows? But scandals are rare. No big name has been busted for nearly a decade (those that have where backdated to nearly a decade ago). Dope obsessives now bang on about TUEs, ventolin and Ketones.

To quote Taylor Phinney from 2018: "I will say that people dressing up as giant inhalers is a lot better than people dressing up as giant syringes. It seems a step forward."
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2021
    Could I also mention better films currently on iPlayer

Stan & Ollie
    Nightcrawler
    Shakespeare in Love
    Paddington 2 (a genuine masterpiece)
    Monsters University (not as good as the original)
    Kung Fu Panda
    Witness (Harrison's best performance?)
    The 39 Steps
    The Conversation (Coppola's neglected classic)
    The Lost City of Z - I liked this
    A Matter of Life an Death (old school B&W great)

Also, The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas, Beautiful Boy and The Place Beyond the Pines - which I have not seen but hear are good
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    edited February 2021
    Agree. And that's a good quote.
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2021
    Watching The Program again I notice that the guy who plays Prince Charles in The Crown is in it as a character called 'Rich' - not me I swear. I guess from the ears it's meant to be Hincapie
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    orraloon said:

It's a movie though, not a documentary.
    Do not expect the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    External BB cups in the early 90s?🙄
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

It's a movie though, not a documentary.
    Do not expect the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. 😉
    Yeah fair point. Probably why I was sitting there thinking to myself this is a bit sh!t. Condense the full picture to fit the movie narrative. Oh well, time wasted can't be recovered. Next.
  • I watched it again and wish I didn't. It reminded me that if he hadn't have made a return, I wouldn't have needed to see it in the first place. It's certainly not the sort of film you'd want to see more than seven times.
  • Lance - the documentary is avaliable on iPlayer also. Much better, for obvious reasons. I love looking at all the bikes from that era and the Trek ones used by USPS. I really like the livery on it, love the DA components, tubular frames and having an OCLV of that same era myself makes me biased.
  • abishek_l said:

Lance - the documentary is avaliable on iPlayer also. Much better, for obvious reasons. I love looking at all the bikes from that era and the Trek ones used by USPS. I really like the livery on it, love the DA components, tubular frames and having an OCLV of that same era myself makes me biased.

Yeah, that was good. He's still no fan of Landis for getting the ball rolling.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    abishek_l said:

Lance - the documentary is avaliable on iPlayer also. Much better, for obvious reasons. I love looking at all the bikes from that era and the Trek ones used by USPS. I really like the livery on it, love the DA components, tubular frames and having an OCLV of that same era myself makes me biased.

I watched this too and found it interesting but did wonder how honest he s being. He's clearly very media savvy and at times comes across as genuinely sorry about the past, then you hear him talking about Landis and I think maybe that's the real Lance.
  • sherer said:

abishek_l said:

I watched this too and found it interesting but did wonder how honest he s being. He's clearly very media savvy and at times comes across as genuinely sorry about the past, then you hear him talking about Landis and I think maybe that's the real Lance.
    Yep. I always wondered why he returned too. His quote, 'seeing Carlo Sastre win and thinking I can easily beat him'.