Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    I've watched Pt1 but not Pt2 yet.

I always find him compelling to watch. What I didn't realise is just how naturally gifted he was at such a young age. He comes across as a total shit of course, and an absolute nightmare to live with or be in a team with.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    gweeds said:

I always find him compelling to watch. What I didn't realise is just how naturally gifted he was at such a young age. He comes across as a total censored of course, and an absolute nightmare to live with or be in a team with.

Oh yeah. I mean, look how young he was to win the worlds!

The sad thing is is that the doping distorted everything so much it's more or less impossible to write up a ranking of how talented they all would have been without the juice.

Doping or no doping he was an absolute monster of an athlete and a competitor.

At the time, to win you needed to have a great doping system and he managed to monopolise the best doping dr out there.

It was the energy he had left over from training to go out and do all that extra, whether it was the kit or the doping or the personal vendettas.

In that respect he's a lot like MJ, especially how he used slights to motivate him to do well.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,438
    I've watched both and enjoyed them overall. Still think there lots to learn, youcould see him struggling with some things but was often very matter of fact so has come to terms with some/most of it.

The one thing throughout the years though is I've had this dislike of Betsy Andreu I don't know why but every time she's on I wish she would just fcuk off!
  • ddraver
    Can it be watched without ESPN..?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    ddraver said:

You can get a free week on ESPN player, but I think you can only watch it live when it's broadcast in the US. Give it a few months and it might be available on demand.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

You can get a free week on ESPN player, but I think you can only watch it live when it's broadcast in the US. Give it a few months and it might be available on demand.
    I've signed up for the free 7 days trial, and I have just watched the first episode; I'm just about to start the second now...

• johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    If you have BT Sport, then it’s available there
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,438
    Yeah I watched and recorded it on BT sports, they do a lot of really good sports stories on the 30 for 30 series. (Including slaying the badger)
  • ddraver
    edited June 2020
    Ah...no BT Sport either...

Will have to hope it falls off the back of a lorry...
    - @ddraver
  • joe2019
    ddraver said:

Ah...no BT Sport either...

Will have to hope it falls off the back of a lorry...

You can watch it on ESPN

• RichN95.
    joe2019 said:

RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

I've signed up for the free 7 days trial, and I have just watched the first episode; I'm just about to start the second now...

Is it available On Demand?
  • joe2019
    RichN95. said:

joe2019 said:

RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

Is it available On Demand?
    Sure is! Just watched it all tonight On Demand.

• ddraver
    Is it...ahem, is it actually worth it?

For those of us who are nerdy and dull enough to hang round here I mean, or is it The Armstrong Lie with more wrinkles..?
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Wrestled with watching this or not, glad I did as it did show him being honest (or as honest as he can be) and didn't skirt around some of the shittiness. But it did nothing to change my view that he's a complete sociopath with seemingly no redeeming features.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

For those of us who are nerdy and dull enough to hang round here I mean, or is it The Armstrong Lie with more wrinkles..?

ESPN player for free for a week costs you nothing. That seems what it's worth.
  • joe2019
    ddraver said:

I enjoyed it. I find him oddly watchable, he certainly has presence.

Go for it...

• RichN95.
    joe2019 said:

I enjoyed it. I find him oddly watchable, he certainly has presence.

Go for it...

Even his greatest detractors say he has charisma to burn. Maybe that's why they can't let him go.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    A little off topic - The Last Dance. Did anyone watch that and wonder why Michael Jordan's eyes were so discoloured? I haven't seen that shade of yellow since Ben Johnson.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    The Lance doc. Is decent - part 2 more than part 1. It gives a fascinating insight into how Lance thinks - I doubt he's completely honest in it but I suspect he lets a fair bit of the real him show .

Last Dance I thought was really good - I've not watched BB since the Harlem Globetrotters used to be on Grandstand so no idea how true a picture it painted bit it's very entertaining.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020

The Lance doc. Is decent - part 2 more than part 1. It gives a fascinating insight into how Lance thinks - I doubt he's completely honest in it but I suspect he lets a fair bit of the real him show .

Last Dance I thought was really good - I've not watched BB since the Harlem Globetrotters used to be on Grandstand so no idea how true a picture it painted bit it's very entertaining.

A lot of people like say that Armstrong is a sociopath, but I don't see that (look at Rasmussen or Ricco for that). He was a ultra competitive person playing the hand he was dealt. It's the same with Jordan - it's all there in the doc, the supposedly unacceptable behaviour to drive a team along.

They're not alone: A quote from Kenny Pryde's excellent book The Medal Factory from a Team Sky staffer about Froome: "He's a b@stard. Cold and ruthless"

Even a supposedly nice guy like Federer - he's gone through a dozen coaches. When he was young his parents left tournaments without him because his behaviour was so bad.

The most successful hockey players I've played with (Olympians) were pricks on the field (but great off it).

No great champion is a nice guy or girl. Some just hide it better.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    Double post

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    RichN95. said:

I'm not sure I agree.

There's a lot of different motivators to perform well.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    RichN95. said:

A little off topic - The Last Dance. Did anyone watch that and wonder why Michael Jordan's eyes were so discoloured? I haven't seen that shade of yellow since Ben Johnson.

RichN95. said:

My Wife noticed the same thing !

I will also be interested to know :)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    gweeds said:

I always find him compelling to watch. What I didn't realise is just how naturally gifted he was at such a young age. He comes across as a total censored of course, and an absolute nightmare to live with or be in a team with.

as Rick says we will never know how good he actually was. Havent seen the doc but read it revealed he was doping as soon as he came into cycling.

Not sure if there's been any proper studies on it, but it's always ben said it turned also rans into winners.

With the 40% level you could dope up to, if you had lower stats then you could gain more than someone who was already at 35% naturally.

The world still seems interested in him though, and i'll catch this doc when I get a bit of free time.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    I've spent the last couple of days watching Scottie Pippen on YouTube. What an athlete.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    RichN95. said:

A lot of people like say that Armstrong is a sociopath, but I don't see that (look at Rasmussen or Ricco for that). He was a ultra competitive person playing the hand he was dealt. It's the same with Jordan - it's all there in the doc, the supposedly unacceptable behaviour to drive a team along.

They're not alone: A quote from Kenny Pryde's excellent book The Medal Factory from a Team Sky staffer about Froome: "He's a b@stard. Cold and ruthless"

Even a supposedly nice guy like Federer - he's gone through a dozen coaches. When he was young his parents left tournaments without him because his behaviour was so bad.

The most successful hockey players I've played with (Olympians) were pricks on the field (but great off it).

I can quite believe that of Froome. He's always seemed too reasonable in interviews for him to be for real. Wiggins seemed to be more someone you could take at face value.

A friend on mine played for the GB hockey team in the Olympics. Can't imagine him being a prick on the field. He never was in the school football team when others were.

General consensus is that Tom Boonen is a decent guy.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    I've just watched Part 1. It was quite enjoyable but hopefully part 2 will be better. It still surprises me to see how old Lance looks especially compared to his teammates of around the same age (except Vaughters whose beard probably adds about ten years). Then again, when he was 21 he already could have passed for thirty.
  • ddraver
    nickice said:

General consensus is that Tom Boonen is a decent guy.

Hmmm?

If we're comparing Bballers to cyclists he was a bit of a Dennis Rodman in his youth...
    - @ddraver
  • joe2019
    Part 2 is far better than part 1, enjoy...