Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    joe2019 said:

Part 2 is far better than part 1, enjoy...

I agree with this.

What surprised me, which I know shouldn't have, was that even though he said he was in a better place and was now a better man, his whole demeanor throughout the interview suggested otherwise.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    redvision said:

joe2019 said:

Part 2 is far better than part 1, enjoy...

I agree with this.

What surprised me, which I know shouldn't have, was that even though he said he was in a better place and was now a better man, his whole demeanor throughout the interview suggested otherwise.
    I agree. I did feel that his emotion when he talked about Jan was genuine.

He loves Jan, I gotta say that I love Floyd (Landis).
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Think he likes Ullrich; from a position of overall superiority (life and cycling).

I still think Lance has it. His podcast is far more enjoyable than the trite blatherings of all the other "professional" cycling podcasts. Wish we could get a weekly podcast from Lanterne_Rouge & Cosmo Catalano.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Floyd looked a bit haunted I thought. Seems a gentler soul now.

Tyler Hamilton still has the burning fire.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    RichN95. said:

They're not alone: A quote from Kenny Pryde's excellent book The Medal Factory from a Team Sky staffer about Froome: "He's a b@stard. Cold and ruthless".

Richie Porte mentions in his chat with Friebe on the Cycling Podcast that Froome is mentally the toughest guy in the peloton - still - that he’s encountered.
    That Froome is largeing it with yer media’s - https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-bernal-and-emerging-generation-have-raised-the-bar/
    offers up a lip-smacking prospect for whenever the racing starts.
    Oldies vs The Young’uns. It’ll be like The Wire on wheels.

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    m.r.m. said:

Think he likes Ullrich; from a position of overall superiority (life and cycling).

I still think Lance has it. His podcast is far more enjoyable than the trite blatherings of all the other "professional" cycling podcasts. Wish we could get a weekly podcast from Lanterne_Rouge & Cosmo Catalano.

I don't listen to his regular podcast but I listened to the ones during the GT's. He has an embarrassing lack of knowledge about current pro-cycling to be honest. It got much better when it basically became the Bruyneel podcast.
  • m.r.m.
    edited June 2020
    That is very true. Armstrong isn't very helpful in terms of analysis, but he is able to pass the ball really well to Bryneel and Hincapie who are both really good.

The overall then makes it the best cycling podcast. That is less about it being that good, rather than the others just being that sub par (pointless blatherings about whats for lunch during every episode of GT episodes and useless interviews, or the Velonews one where they don't even bother to learn the names of professional riders who are winning Monuments, let alone give analysis on races. My biggest gripe is that mostly there is no analysis on how someone won a race or anything of value on that days racing. It's just recapping the result and then talking about pointless things that have very little to do with the actual racing).
  • nickice
    m.r.m. said:

That is very true. Armstrong isn't very helpful in terms of analysis, but he is able to pass the ball really well to Bryneel and Hincapie who are both really good.

The overall then makes it the best cycling podcast. That is less about it being that good, rather than the others just being that sub par (pointless blatherings about whats for lunch during every episode of GT episodes and useless interviews, or the Velonews one where they don't even bother to learn the names of professional riders who are winning Monuments, let alone give analysis on races. My biggest gripe is that mostly there is no analysis on how someone won a race or anything of value on that days racing. It's just recapping the result and then talking about pointless things that have very little to do with the actual racing).

I don't disagree as it's my favourite (because of Bruyneel not Armstrong) for more or less the same reasons.

I don't think Lance Armstrong has ever really had any passion for cycling as a sport in itself rather than just using it as a way to become rich and famous. I saw him on Joe Rogan saying he didn't ride anymore but then when he started his podcast he was going to 'ride until the day he dies"

• m.r.m.
    Think he does ride once in a while with friends for some events. Did a mountain bike race a while back with a former pro? I think. He has a bet running currently with Hincapie again to get in shape.

That doesn't preclude you being right in your analysis though. Riding may have been his ticket out. He probably enjoys riding. Just not as much as others. Many professionals stop playing that sport entirely when they retire though. Maybe it's because they are just burned out or they know what it's like to be on the very top and don't enjoy playing the sport in their diminished state.
  • nickice
    So I finished it. I did find Bruyneel's explanation as to why they couldn't let Floyd Landis on the team interesting. I'd always wondered why they said no to someone who seemed like a loose canon.

As for Lance, he hasn't changed. He might say he was wrong to go after Emma O'Reilly etc. but he then starts to mouth off about Landis (and regular listeners to his podcast will know the term 'that w#nker Contador'). God alone knows why he agreed to do this documentary.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited June 2020

The Wire had a ruthless, remorseless, quiet spoken killer called Chris

Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

Think he does ride once in a while with friends for some events. Did a mountain bike race a while back with a former pro? I think. He has a bet running currently with Hincapie again to get in shape.

Yeah, he seems to go out with Hincapie and Vande Velde and others. I think he's friends with TJ Van Garderen. But he doesn't ride hard.

I'm often surprised that he's still good friends with Hincapie and VV as they testified against him. It doesn't really fit into the sociopath narrative (with I don't buy into). If you want a sociopath try Rasmussen.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    nickice said:

So I finished it. I did find Bruyneel's explanation as to why they couldn't let Floyd Landis on the team interesting. I'd always wondered why they said no to someone who seemed like a loose canon.

I haven't seen the doc, but surely Landis was badly damaged goods and had had a hip replacement. He was hardly a good bet. It was probably likely that no-one really liked him much. The riders of that era who came back were riders were that liked by their colleagues - Basso, Millar, Valverde, even Vino
  • nickice
    RichN95. said:

nickice said:

I haven't seen the doc, but surely Landis was badly damaged goods and had had a hip replacement. He was hardly a good bet. It was probably likely that no-one really liked him much. The riders of that era who came back were riders were that liked by their colleagues - Basso, Millar, Valverde, even Vino
    Well the reason they would have brought him into the team is so he would keep his mouth shut not for any cycling ability he had left. Bruyneel said that they couldn't take him as they wouldn't have got invited to that year's Tour de France if they had. Bruyneel seems very intelligent but the way he put it was that he knew Floyd was volatile but he had no choice. Maybe it's not true but it does make sense.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It was basically that they were relying on a TdF invite and employing Landis would have scuppered that. Seems a sufficient reason though there may have been others.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    RichN95. said:

The Wire had a ruthless, remorseless, quiet spoken killer called Chris

Begging the question, who is Snoop yo?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    ddraver said:

Begging the question, who is Snoop yo?

Luke Rowe. The loyal foot soldier

With Froome as actually Avon
    Thomas is D'Angelo - he's got the contacts but is too nice
    Kwiatkowski is Stringer - the right hand man who could do better.
    Bernal is Marlon, the new guy ready to take it all
    Quintana/Contador is Omar, the guy who can come out of nowhere to screw it all up
  • ddraver
    Snoop was ruthless too tho...

Luke is way to nice to be Snoop. He'd be Carver ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver said:

Edit - ORrrr...Weebay
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    ddraver said:

Isn't Carver a cop? In which case Stannard is definitely Herc

A revision - Porte is Stringer - he got killed midway through. Kwiatkowski is Wee Bay. Russell Downing is Wallace. (It's funny that the actor who became a big star out of that show other than Idris Elba and Dominic West was the guy who played Wallace.)

I'm going to watch The Wire again - what a show
  • ddraver
    edited June 2020
    It depends if we re playing with Ski being the Stanfield crew or just assigning personalities

(e.g. if Vino can be Proposition Joe ;) and the weird kid that nobody liked but ended up quietly really good, Michael , is Roglic - but my mind is totes blown! CREED is Wallace??? That's where Wallace at? 🤯)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    While we're on the topic of miraculous transformations - there's no dope testing in Tinsel Town. (There's also great cinematography and Visual Effects)

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Yeah, he seems to go out with Hincapie and Vande Velde and others. I think he's friends with TJ Van Garderen. But he doesn't ride hard.

I'm often surprised that he's still good friends with Hincapie and VV as they testified against him. It doesn't really fit into the sociopath narrative (with I don't buy into). If you want a sociopath try Rasmussen.
    My understanding is that hincapie did not tell tails until it got to the point that if he lied he was going to get a big sentence. At that point Lance knew the game was up hence him not holding a grudge as he did with others.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

While we're on the topic of miraculous transformations - there's no dope testing in Tinsel Town. (There's also great cinematography and Visual Effects)

Great films. And the Wire.
  • nickice
    Lance clearly can't switch off his hatred for other riders when they're off the bike. He was talking about former rivals who are nice to each other being wimps.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    He’s running through the most interesting stage from each of his Tour wins on the move podcast.

It’s a bit of a missed opportunity as it’s mainly him saying what a legend he is and Bruyneel basically explaining what we already know, but it’s ok if you watched them.

Low on new tidbits or revelations.
  • ddraver
    Bloody big on adverts though...
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wow. hard to imagine that there are people who are still "concerned" with LA. Hard to figure why.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    Not "concerned". Quite like his podcasts plus the video retrospectives. The advert volume is shite.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

He’s running through the most interesting stage from each of his Tour wins on the move podcast.

It’s a bit of a missed opportunity as it’s mainly him saying what a legend he is and Bruyneel basically explaining what we already know, but it’s ok if you watched them.

Low on new tidbits or revelations.

Still catch myself cheering for Jan on the Tourmalet.