Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Landis gets a pass from me for actually telling the truth. Not sure how many others have actually told the truth.
    Landis only did the right thing when he ran out of wrong things to do.

And then he did the right thing, not the minimal level of right thing necessary to survive.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Landis gets a pass from me for actually telling the truth. Not sure how many others have actually told the truth.

And then he did the right thing, not the minimal level of right thing necessary to survive.
    He only did it when it was pointed out to him that he could claim a slice of the damages if he became a whistleblower
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    I wish Landis would shut up about Sky - saying they'd not last til the Tour, now (going by a Race Radio tweet I happened to glance at) saying they're the exact same as USP and are doing all the things they did... zzzz.

“Team Sky looks exactly like what we were doing—exactly,” “So they were able to do that without drugs, but we weren’t? People haven’t evolved over the last eight years.”
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

He only did it when it was pointed out to him that he could claim a slice of the damages if he became a whistleblower

He started telling the truth before then.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    Whilst I'd have been perfectly happy to see Armstrong penniless, like Rich I don't see how USPS were defrauded. They paid sponsorship money in return for publicity and they certainly got that, arguably the publicity has lasted far longer than they could have expected due to the ensuing scandal. They may argue the publicity has turned bad but could they demonstrate a loss from how things have panned out? Others such as the insurers, any clean riders and race organisers (although I suspect they were fully aware of how bad things were) have a stronger claim that they were defrauded through cheating though.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    Never met either of them, but LA has already had his comeuppance: stripped naked in front of the world. He seems to have at least had a smidgen of an evolution in terms of character (but maybe that’s just age and fatherhood?). Landis is just a sly nihilist: he had been walking around naked ever since his 2006 bust. He could do well to acquire some sort of attribute before he’s 50. At least now he can buy some.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

He’d already come clean by that point. And what youre suggesting / promoting is that that doing it for the money if indeed he did is wrong. That he should hav e had some cheats code of honour. Its called Omerta.

Quite the Armstrong fanboy
  • Vino'sGhost
    Pross wrote:
    Whilst I'd have been perfectly happy to see Armstrong penniless, like Rich I don't see how USPS were defrauded. They paid sponsorship money in return for publicity and they certainly got that, arguably the publicity has lasted far longer than they could have expected due to the ensuing scandal. They may argue the publicity has turned bad but could they demonstrate a loss from how things have panned out? Others such as the insurers, any clean riders and race organisers (although I suspect they were fully aware of how bad things were) have a stronger claim that they were defrauded through cheating though.

I think the issue is that the American people as tax payers were defrauded.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    Oh man, the 'tax payers' trope.

Give over.
  • RichN95.

He’d already come clean by that point. And what youre suggesting / promoting is that that doing it for the money if indeed he did is wrong. That he should hav e had some cheats code of honour. Its called Omerta.

Quite the Armstrong fanboy
    I'm not an Armstrong fanboy. I'm also not a Landis fanboy either, as you seem to be. They were both as bad as each other.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,351
    How does one prove that the taxpayers were defrauded? The government wouldn't settle if they had a watertight case.

I'm just glad it's getting over. Eventually it will all be done with and everyone can move on. Would love to see cycling get more regular coverage instead of every other big story being about doping.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Vino'sGhost

Give over.

You think no one was defrauded? No crime took place? Really?

Should fred the shred have been rewaarded for continuing development of the royal bank of scotland when the tax payers started pumping dosh in?

You work in financial services and seem pro armstrong and drug cheating, rich is in the final services industry and seems to think the same way. Perhaps theres a link
  • Vino'sGhost
    M.R.M. wrote:
    How does one prove that the taxpayers were defrauded? The government wouldn't settle if they had a watertight case.

I'm just glad it's getting over. Eventually it will all be done with and everyone can move on. Would love to see cycling get more regular coverage instead of every other big story being about doping.

The fact that he had admitted that he was using goverment money to fund his drug program and no longer denys it is the fraud. The case was about damages.
  • Pross

Give over.

Should fred the shred have been rewaarded for continuing development of the royal bank of scotland when the tax payers started pumping dosh in?

You work in financial services and seem pro armstrong and drug cheating, rich is in the final services industry and seems to think the same way. Perhaps theres a link

Pretty sure he's not.

Can you explain how the tax payer was defrauded? How did they lose money (other than it being paid out in sponsorship, presumably on the basis that it would bring up the profile of USPS and bring in more revenue)? If there's a question to be answered it is why public money was being spent on sponsoring a sports team.
  • m.r.m.
    M.R.M. wrote:

The fact that he had admitted that he was using goverment money to fund his drug program and no longer denys it is the fraud. The case was about damages.
    Clearly it is wrong and his bullying make him utterly despicable at least until he apologized or beyond, but I honestly don't understand how the people were defrauded in the legal not moral sense.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:

Give over.

Pretty sure he's not.

Can you explain how the tax payer was defrauded? How did they lose money (other than it being paid out in sponsorship, presumably on the basis that it would bring up the profile of USPS and bring in more revenue)? If there's a question to be answered it is why public money was being spent on sponsoring a sports team.

Dictionary definition of fraud: Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Hard to argue LA wasn't guilty of that, surely?

As to whether the taxpayers have suffered some financial loss, I agree that seems to be a leap. If you could show USPS suffered a financial loss I suppose you could argue the taxpayers were defrauded by extension, because USPS is a government agency therefore "owned" by the taxpayers.
  • m.r.m.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Dictionary definition of fraud: Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

As to whether the taxpayers have suffered some financial loss, I agree that seems to be a leap. If you could show USPS suffered a financial loss I suppose you could argue the taxpayers were defrauded by extension, because USPS is a government agency therefore "owned" by the taxpayers.
    Completely agree with him being a fraud as based on that definition. Think Vino's Ghost is justified in his outrage here.

I'm just dubious regarding the government's legal case regarding everything else.
  • Vino'sGhost
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Give over.

Pretty sure he's not.

Exactly that Bob. Government of the people for the people etc.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Completely agree with him being a fraud as based on that definition.
    A fraud as a sportsman he clearly is. But he and his team gave US Postal exactly what they paid for. And the first contract was signed before Armstrong was involved with the team and they subsequently renewed at least once.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935

Give over.

Woe is the organisation that got more of what it wanted out of Armstrong then they ever could have hoped for.

And now at a discount!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Give over.

Pretty sure he's not.

Sure, but I don't think you can show USPS suffered any loss, and presumably that is why they settled at a much lower value.
  • Vino'sGhost
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Give over.

Pretty sure he's not.

Sure, but I don't think you can show USPS suffered any loss, and presumably that is why they settled at a much lower value.

From what i understand of the system that’s not an unusual situation. The prosecutor gave a quote earlier I cant find it now as away from my desk but it was saying if you defraud the people it doesnt matter who you are were going to get you”. Paraphrased slightly. Ill try and dig it out later.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    EPO - the only letters US Postal might wish hadn't delivered...?
  • Vino'sGhost
    EPO - the only letters US Postal might wish hadn't delivered...?
    :)
  • Pross
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Give over.

Pretty sure he's not.

Exactly, it's how USPS demonstrate they are the victim of fraud that I'm questioning rather than Armstrong committing fraud more widely. The only way I can think of would be if the sponsorship money had been given for a specific such as funding the cost of racing and that money was used to fund doping instead.
  • It would be a stretch, but USPS could have tried to cook up some real damages.

As in, they were depending on that team for their publicity/advertising and probably had big plans for that. Then the plans get tossed/ruined not of their own doing.

So, they have to scrap it and figure out something else instead. Even if well under a million dollars, I guarantee there was some kind of internal cost to handle turning that ship.

Then you get into arguing damages to reputation through association, etc.....

I'm not trying to say they had a case at all, just saying they could have tried. I think it was a long shot on USPS part. Sometimes lawsuits serve as deterrents to undesired societal behaviors in the US.
  • Vino'sGhost
    It would be a stretch, but USPS could have tried to cook up some real damages.

As in, they were depending on that team for their publicity/advertising and probably had big plans for that. Then the plans get tossed/ruined not of their own doing.

So, they have to scrap it and figure out something else instead. Even if well under a million dollars, I guarantee there was some kind of internal cost to handle turning that ship.

Then you get into arguing damages to reputation through association, etc.....

I'm not trying to say they had a case at all, just saying they could have tried. I think it was a long shot on USPS part. Sometimes lawsuits serve as deterrents to undesired societal behaviors in the US.

USPS wernt claiming any damages
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,475
    According to Wiki, USPS did not look for a sponsor after 2007 anyway. I'm pretty sure that was before any mention of doping in the team.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Wasn't this case brought because US Postal was a government funded company and Armstrong and co were using the sponsorship money to fund their doping program which propelled the team to win races, therefore cheating through tax payer money??

Fwiw I'm glad the case is settled. What Armstrong did should not and will not be forgotten. But enough is enough now and I hope this will finally help the sport move on.
  • RichN95.
    Pinno wrote:
    According to Wiki, USPS did not look for a sponsor after 2007 anyway. I'm pretty sure that was before any mention of doping in the team.
    US Postal stopped in 2004, then they had three years as Discovery.