Strava 'Bagging'

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Slowbike wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    How did his Garmin have enough power for that?

I could be being unjust
    x35z2.jpg
    Did you bother looking at the ride? Check out the heart rate & cadence ... takes some work to falsify that ...
    Anyway - Why the hell would anyone drive around Long Island at an average of 17mph taking nearly 18hours to do so?
    Mind you - all they'd need is a USB adapter for the car power socket.

ffs .. I was being ..... oh forget it
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    JGSI wrote:
    ffs .. I was being ..... oh forget it
    Try a few smilies ... plenty to choose from! ;) :P :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Just got two more. :D

http://app.strava.com/segments/1959943

http://app.strava.com/segments/1821291

Not really pushing it on the longer one as my heart rate shows, so still room for improvement.
  • good skills SenseiSpud

What's the best way for me to put KOMs on my Edge 800? Download as a course and then add to my Garmin and set it to "Always show on map"?
  • No idea, but its a good question.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    SenseiSpud wrote:
    Just got two more. :D

http://app.strava.com/segments/1959943

http://app.strava.com/segments/1821291

Not really pushing it on the longer one as my heart rate shows, so still room for improvement.

Top KOM'ing
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    good skills SenseiSpud

What's the best way for me to put KOMs on my Edge 800? Download as a course and then add to my Garmin and set it to "Always show on map"?

I don't think you can export a ride unless it's yours. Even then, its the whole ride, not just the segment, so you'd have to edit the file manually, which is a pain.

Just map the segment on Garmin Connect, and input the KOM time and save it as a course and send it to your device.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Found a KOM .. ridden once, speed to beat is 2.2mph.

Only thing is, it's 0.9miles at 13.4%. :shock:

And you'd have done some serious climbing and mileage to get to it in the first place as its in the middle of nowhere.

Torr Head
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:

And you'd have done some serious climbing and mileage to get to it in the first place as its in the middle of nowhere.

Torr Head

You could probably walk it at that speed. Ride as much as you can, walk the rest, you should take it.
  • Going to attempt this tomorrow.

http://app.strava.com/segments/644039

It may be an average of 13% but I tell you now, some parts are way above that. Not sure if I'll get it but I guess we'll see.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    The issue with flat segments.... some you win, some you loose!

+17 watts increase in power, but 9 sec slower for the segment. Greerrrr!
    Just need to wait until the wind blows the other way! :P
    Simon
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    dw300 wrote:

I don't think you can export a ride unless it's yours. Even then, its the whole ride, not just the segment, so you'd have to edit the file manually, which is a pain.

You can use Cosmo Catalano's feature
    http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/export/
    to export a segment to GPX/TCX
    (I actually wrote one at right the same time, but I did it as a firefox script so his is much better)

Decided to take a segment last night, a forum-ite was pleased with his 2nd place, but I knew the segment was soft so I went for it at the end of the ride, took a minute out of it despite having to stop for a red light - showing just how soft the segment was. Ended up with another more surprising one as the first part of it was a seperate hill which I also took despite a headwind and timing a 10 minute effort not a 3 minute one. So that was extremely soft (despite being held by the local fast guys).
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Went for 2 segments this morning - first indications are that I was 1 second slower on the first one and 2 seconds on the second one.
    First one - segment length is ~1minute - but uphill
    Second one - segment length is ~6minutes - mostly downhill, but "undulating"

Certainly wasn't heading for KOM - that's not within grasp yet ...
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Have been known to know full well I will beat my time on a segment, only to be stopped by a chav on a crap MTB or someone using the blasted crossings! How dare they :P
  • aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    Think I got a personal best on the canal stretch of my morning commute but as my phone data connection has decided to stop working, I can't upload it and see for certain. [/rant]
  • SenseiSpud wrote:
    Going to attempt this tomorrow.

It may be an average of 13% but I tell you now, some parts are way above that. Not sure if I'll get it but I guess we'll see.

that looks like fun :D
  • jibberjim wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

You can use Cosmo Catalano's feature
    http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/export/
    to export a segment to GPX/TCX
    (I actually wrote one at right the same time, but I did it as a firefox script so his is much better)

Awesome, cheers
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    SenseiSpud wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

Torr Head

You could probably walk it at that speed. Ride as much as you can, walk the rest, you should take it.

nah nah...just wrap your device in bubble wrap and throw it up to the top. Makes perfect sense to me. :D
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    One section of road I have recently gone down has people going at 28mph. Worryingly it's a thin, windy road with sections just wide enough for a white van, not two cars abreast, with blind corners and a lot of damp patches even in dry weather. Seems some people are risking injury just to beat times and get KoMs.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thats people for you. One guy in the US killed himself trying to regain his KOM descent record. Lost control at speed and hit an oncoming car I think. His relatives are trying to sue Strava. As they would.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    cougie wrote:
    Thats people for you. One guy in the US killed himself trying to regain his KOM descent record. Lost control at speed and hit an oncoming car I think. His relatives are trying to sue Strava. As they would.

already mentioned about a thousand times on the forum.
  • SenseiSpud wrote:
    Going to attempt this tomorrow.

that looks like fun :D

Definitely wasn't fun! 24% in places! Bike really isn't set up for that kind of hill with a 21/11 on the back. Nowhere near the KOM time. :-(
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    cougie wrote:
    His relatives are trying to sue Strava. As they would.

lolamericans...
  • If it's geniunely dangerous, flag it. I've flagged a few segments that go through lights, or have right hand turns.
  • cougie
    One segment by me was across a roundabout on a dual carriageway ? :shock:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    cougie wrote:
    One segment by me was across a roundabout on a dual carriageway ? :shock:

6am saturday or sundays best time to approach that one
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If it's geniunely dangerous, flag it. I've flagged a few segments that go through lights, or have right hand turns.

Why flag it? Pretty much every segment in London would need flagging on that basis. Surely people can see for themselves if they need to stop for a light / oncoming traffic? Only reason to flag as dangerous I can see would be if there are tight blind bends, or if its an inherently dangerous road like a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder or something.
  • If there are poor sight lines or are generally busy junctions etc. I don't flag all lights/rht segments, just ones that are dangerous. I tend to then create safer segments on the same stretches of road.
  • cougie
    BigMat wrote:
    Only reason to flag as dangerous I can see would be if there are tight blind bends, or if its an inherently dangerous road like a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder or something.

Dual Carriageway - wouldnt that rule out most of our Time Trial courses ? :?:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    cougie wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Only reason to flag as dangerous I can see would be if there are tight blind bends, or if its an inherently dangerous road like a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder or something.

Dual Carriageway - wouldnt that rule out most of our Time Trial courses ? :?:

Yeah, I wouldn't say all dual carriageways, but there are some that are just mental where you get long steep flyovers or tunnels etc with fast moving traffic and no exit strategy for a bike. Have ridden the Westway in London, parts of the A12, A2 towards Kingston, and consider each a near death experience. I still wouldn't flag them as dangerous though - as far as I'm concerned people can make their own mind up where is safe to ride. Really gets on my nerves when somebody flags as dangerous a segment I'm KOM on and there is no way to reverse it. :evil: