Strava 'Bagging'

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
I have ported my thread over from Dustbin death thread holder of Bottom Bracket..

It is for all Strava fanboys and girls to vent their triumph or anguish.
It brings the 'pettiness' of human nature out.. as I noticed someone had claimed a kom by using a local race circuit and then adding on a tiny bit extra... so to thwart this cunning plan, the kom has been recreated to reflect just the race circuit... life is tough.. now all he has to do to is ride it 6mph faster :mrgreen:
I'm 9th , so I did this for the greater good.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm looking forward to going home to Cambridgeshire in a few weeks.. much less Strava competition than in Oxfordshire..

doubt I'll be bagging any KOMs.. but some top 10s should be easy... because there aren't really any hills :lol:
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Could this be the least impressive KoM ever ?? I churned out a whopping 104w to get this one, and I'm pretty sure I had a tailwind ..

http://app.strava.com/segments/1499170

Shall I set up a BikeRadar Strava Club?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • jgsi
    dw300 wrote:
    Could this be the least impressive KoM ever ?? I churned out a whopping 104w to get this one, and I'm pretty sure I had a tailwind ..

http://app.strava.com/segments/1499170

I dont see why not,,,,,,,,

one of my KoMs was set when I was being hung out to dry at the backof a road race.. the weird thing was, there at least 3 other riders using Strava via their Garmins at the same time... :?
  • I've gave it some beans on a sgement a couple of times last week, and again this week, only to get no where near the top 10. Then, looking closely at the leaderboard, I realised the top times had the same date, closer inspection revealed them to be set on the regular local chaingang bash. Pah.
  • I added a short, flat segment near my house and set a pleasing 30.x mph KOM/CR. It was then beaten a few days later by someone at 35mph+ :shock: Looking at the performance chart he went from 23mph to 43mph within 3 seconds a quarter way through the segment :? Don't think it's possible to do 35mph on this segment for normal riders, and this guy is decidely normal looking at the rest of his rides.

Argghhhhh

On a different note, I find myself now paying alot more attention to wind direction when planning my routes to ensure tailwinds up the KOMs I really want. Have spotted a change in wind direction for tomorrow so will be off out to have a third attempt at a local climb I'm currently too far off the pace on.

Great website though, every ride seems to be a training session now
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I held the KOM (crap term considering it's completely flat) on a section of cycleway near my house in both directions. Whilst uploading my first ever sportive to Strava last Sunday I had the dreaded message to say I'd lost it in one direction. So on the Monday, just over a mile into my 18 miles commute that I was using to recover from the previous day's exertion, I had to ride a bit harder to get the KOM back (I managed to extend it significantly today to stop the thieving interloper coming back and taking it off me again!!).
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    I think there are some very optimistic times on most of the segments out there unless they are set by pro's.

Its a brilliant motivation tool though, makes me push myself every ride as to not embarrass myself with a crap placing.....(although i still do)!!
  • Pross
    I've gave it some beans on a sgement a couple of times last week, and again this week, only to get no where near the top 10. Then, looking closely at the leaderboard, I realised the top times had the same date, closer inspection revealed them to be set on the regular local chaingang bash. Pah.

Half my local roads are used by the Ras de Cymru so there's just no chance of getting anywhere near the leaderboard. I have toyed with going out in my car running Strava and driving at a just about realistic cycling speed to knock the smiles off their faces.
  • Pross, those e-mails "Uh-oh" are so annoying aren't they ;)

I took a KOM off someone last week, only for them to equal my time at the weekend. I will be going out this Saturday to try and better it again. Competitive?
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    My proudest achievment

http://app.strava.com/segments/1430179

There must be someone I've not told yet. :roll:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I edited a segment yesterday when I compared performance with the KOM and realised he overtook me in the last 100 yds.

Result.
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    thecrofter wrote:
    My proudest achievment

I kill for a hill like that to be within cycling distance!

I hold second place (for which i battered myself) on a flat straight two mile segment near me, the guy in first averaged over 40mph and slowed to nearly zero at a mini roundabout halfway, it probably shouldn't bug me when people clearly do these things in their cars but it really does.
  • dw300
    JGSI wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

Done .. Bike Radar Strava Club .. join now!

Code for signature (remove spaces from closing tags) .. Bike Radar Strava Club[ /url][ /b][ /color]
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • thecrofter
    Little local hill on my commute, missed out on a becoming KOM by 1sec this morning..........war has been declared :evil:

http://app.strava.com/activities/14429139#272118173
  • jgsi
    dw300 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

Done .. Bike Radar Strava Club .. join now!

Code for signature (remove spaces from closing tags) .. Bike Radar Strava Club[ /url][ /b][ /color]

Done!

err no team kit?.. what about 'ol USPS? :mrgreen:
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    There is a tough hill by me that I do about 12mph up which isn't too bad but the leader does it at like 22mph which has to be rubbish is pretty steep and long but my aim is to get to 14mph through it.
  • alihisgreat
    There is a tough hill by me that I do about 12mph up which isn't too bad but the leader does it at like 22mph which has to be rubbish is pretty steep and long but my aim is to get to 14mph through it.

Link it! lets have a look!
  • dw300
    I have noticed some short steep climbs where the KOM hits the hill very fast and can stay in the big ring. I ride with a guy that can do that on 1/4 or 1/2 mile climbs .. blows my mind. But he's a big guy, and would slow down on a very long climb.

Does anyone subscribe to make use of the age / weight leaderboards? I think I might as it's futile for me to get KOMs on long flat segments against big Rouleurs.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    The more I use it the more I realise that Strava is really flawed. For example – I went out with two mates last night and one guy uses Strava via his mobile in his back pocket while I use my Garmin (with HRM and cadence). We hit a segment and decided to work together to get a fast time. For the entire climb we were riding at the same pace with a foot space between rear wheels and we went over the top in exactly the same formation. Comparing our post ride stats Mobile Strava mate beat me by three seconds!

For the same ride Strava gave a route distance of a mile more than my Garmin.
  • thecrofter
    The more I use it the more I realise that Strava is really flawed. For example – I went out with two mates last night and one guy uses Strava via his mobile in his back pocket while I use my Garmin (with HRM and cadence). We hit a segment and decided to work together to get a fast time. For the entire climb we were riding at the same pace with a foot space between rear wheels and we went over the top in exactly the same formation. Comparing our post ride stats Mobile Strava mate beat me by three seconds!

All depends on how seriously you take it I suppose. To me it's a bit of a laugh, a bit of willy-waving......not the Olympics.
  • I find the more suspect times are generally logged using mobile phones. But as thecrofter says, it's just a bit of laugh isn't it. The only real way to prove your the best is to race ;)

However, I'm pleased to report that I bagged two KOMs last night. Partly due to change in wind direction and partly due to learning where the actual start point of one of the hills was :)

Only able to get out on my bike a couple of times a week at the moment which is frustrating. Will be attempting to get 2 KOMs on Saturday, with the possiblity of 3 others, although wind direction not looking great for those.
  • thecrofter
    Managed to shave a second off my time this morning, KOM, <Duffman> Oh! Yeah</Duffman>

http://app.strava.com/rides/14642363#275542611

This does mean I need to find another second to take the title outright.
  • Pross
    thecrofter wrote:
    My proudest achievment

I kill for a hill like that to be within cycling distance!

I hold second place (for which i battered myself) on a flat straight two mile segment near me, the guy in first averaged over 40mph and slowed to nearly zero at a mini roundabout halfway, it probably shouldn't bug me when people clearly do these things in their cars but it really does.

Just report the ride and it will get removed ;)
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731

I have one segment like that.... someone stole my KOM (and the rest of their ride looked slow)... and to add to it when you compare yourself they seem to jump hugely between "data plots"

But it was only two seconds faster... and managed to equal it yesterday!
    http://app.strava.com/segments/925244
    Just now need to take one more second off and I'm there!

Also have bagged another KOM locally:
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1417508
    Just now waiting for the inevitable email stating I've lost it!

I'm now starting to realise how Graham Obree felt after he lost his 60 min record to Chris Boardman! Well, maybe not quite, in my own little world obviously!
    Simon
  • dw300
    I think some smart phones are better than others .. and make sure they have wifi turned off as this seems to mess up readings. My Samsung Galaxy seems to be very accurate .. i think it measures position data every 3 seconds.

Bump to get more BR Strava Club members .. 18 so far!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331

I think three seconds difference between 2 devices using a gps to time you is pretty bloody good really. A guy with a stop watch is going to be at least +/- 1 seconds at best.

As others have said, it's a bit of fun and a fantastic training tool, makes you really push on those hills when you might otherwise pootle.
  • jgsi
    dw300 wrote:
    I think some smart phones are better than others .. and make sure they have wifi turned off as this seems to mess up readings. My Samsung Galaxy seems to be very accurate .. i think it measures position data every 3 seconds.

Bump to get more BR Strava Club members .. 18 so far!
    Getting there....
    My Xperia also records as accurate as it should be as well... yes we all know it's a bit of 'laugh' and not to be taken seriously.
    However,
    I'd be a bit gutted if I lost my 10mileTT segment though, it was flamin' hard work setting it....
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I guess this is why the very short segments are an issue...
    FWIW, the garmin devices can usuallly be set to record every second.
    Simon
  • alihisgreat
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/280387

This guy holds all the KOM around Oxford...

He also currently holds KOM on Box Hill.. faster than pros like Dan Lloyd... and Taylor Phinney.

Just had a moment of realisation that I'll never get KOM on any of my local hills :cry:
  • thecrofter
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/280387

This guy holds all the KOM around Oxford...

He also currently holds KOM on Box Hill.. faster than pros like Dan Lloyd... and Taylor Phinney.

Just had a moment of realisation that I'll never get KOM on any of my local hills :cry:

Go under his radar, find your own hill and make your own segment. Then if some bu99er beats you move on and find another. Always stay one jump ahead. :D