Strava 'Bagging'

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Slowbike wrote:
    SenseiSpud wrote:

0.1 miles? - 160 meters ... it's hardly worth it is it?

Defo one for the hide list :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    SenseiSpud wrote:

You don't really need to hide it do you - blink and it's gone!

And for those of us who cruise at 28mph that kind of speed bump is a breeze ... ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    SenseiSpud wrote:

You don't really need to hide it do you - blink and it's gone!

And for those of us who cruise at 28mph that kind of speed bump is a breeze ... ;)

It may be short, but for now its mine. :D
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

Gutting
  • How accurate is the wattage calculation on Strava? For that short section it says I was doing 871w.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    If the elevation data is bad, or you had a tailwind, or were drafting, or you put in the wrong weight, then it could be well out, and you won't know how much of the power you provided. The shorter the segment, the less accurate it will be.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • No wind, far too sheltered there. I believe the altitude is accurate and it was a solo ride. Weight is correct so I'll go with fairly accurate. :)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Yeah, got one this morning: http://app.strava.com/segments/1163000

Ok, it's flattish and some downhill, but I'll take anything LOL

I guess there is Ying and Yang, as I spent the last 6 miles miles today basically doing one leg drills as my right leg decided it wasn't going to allow me to push the pedals :(
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    SenseiSpud wrote:
    How accurate is the wattage calculation on Strava? For that short section it says I was doing 871w.

It is bang on for bragging rights!
    The fact that it don't mean a lot should not spoil your enjoyment.
  • dw300
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Yeah, got one this morning: http://app.strava.com/segments/1163000

Ok, it's flattish and some downhill, but I'll take anything LOL

I guess there is Ying and Yang, as I spent the last 6 miles miles today basically doing one leg drills as my right leg decided it wasn't going to allow me to push the pedals :(

Nice one! 161bpm .. you had plenty in the tank .. go back and break 4 minutes! :p
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    SenseiSpud wrote:
    No wind, far too sheltered there. I believe the altitude is accurate and it was a solo ride. Weight is correct so I'll go with fairly accurate. :)

It probably isn't a million miles away? Hard to know really, not many people can do that kind of power for 20 seconds so I might suggest its gifting a tiny bit, but who knows what kind of rider you are? :)

There is a similar segment that I ride, although its a 25 second effort, and only two people have recorded genuine power figs of more than what you have there (me being one of them) and the segment has been ridden 1000 times...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    SenseiSpud wrote:
    No wind, far too sheltered there. I believe the altitude is accurate and it was a solo ride. Weight is correct so I'll go with fairly accurate. :)

It probably isn't a million miles away? Hard to know really, not many people can do that kind of power for 20 seconds so I might suggest its gifting a tiny bit, but who knows what kind of rider you are? :)

There is a similar segment that I ride, although its a 25 second effort, and only two people have recorded genuine power figs of more than what you have there (me being one of them) and the segment has been ridden 1000 times...

I'm quite big built and definitely more of a sprinter than anything else.
  • How about this one I just got then guys? Is this one acceptable, lol?

http://app.strava.com/segments/1743439
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Well got one today even if I had to create the segment :-) Did the segment on Friday and liked the fact it's fast (has a mile of downhill) and reasonably long (going on for 3.8 miles)

http://app.strava.com/segments/2175854

Took 38 secs off my time today... but it was sunny today rather than chucking it down! Feel a bit guilty about creating the segment, but it has been ridden 134 times By 57 people. But obviously, the fun only starts once people realise it's there and "hunt the KOM down"!
    Simon
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    OK I'm not happy with strava anymore :(

Since the spring all these proper racer types have popped up smashing all the KOM times and making life miserable for me. Just getting in the top 10 on the main climbs is now getting very difficult.

Booooo
  • springtide9
    @PeteM: Pull yourself together man.... You just need to find and create a few new segments :lol:
    Simon
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Just aim for PRs and chill on the local hero quest.

I had one of mine taken today by guys in a group ride, not too fussed. I kinda like it. Just raises the bar. In fact I'm content on waiting for a hurricane to help me....I have no shame.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Dmak wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I had one of mine taken today by guys in a group ride, not too fussed. I kinda like it. Just raises the bar. In fact I'm content on waiting for a hurricane to help me....I have no shame.

Ha ha, yes I do look at the wind sometimes and think.... hmmm I'm sure I could smash that segment!!

I do think that flat segments are a waste of time though, all wind dependent or people riding in groups.
  • springtide9
    edited August 2012
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Dmak wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Ha ha, yes I do look at the wind sometimes and think.... hmmm I'm sure I could smash that segment!!

I do think that flat segments are a waste of time though, all wind dependent or people riding in groups.

Yes the flat segments are no where near as interesting as hills. There are lots of variables when comparing with other riders. The main use of flat sections (for me) is that when used with the PT, they are a great way to be able to push hard in the drops and be able to compare your power over time.

Strava segments are my intervals, so I don't need to rely just on hills!
    Simon
  • Dmak
    PeteMadoc wrote:

"WASTE OF TIME"!!!!! No chance lol. Whacky, yes defo. Flat and DH segments give us cuddly riders a chance of a petite victory. :D
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Ha genius, someone created a segment leaving work and I'm KOM... obviously pays to want to leave work and get home
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • dw300
    I think we have established that Strava BR guys are good at going downhill!

I got one today .. it's easy if you just seek out roads that either no one else can find or dares to ride, lol ..

http://app.strava.com/rides/19162273#346208322
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • jgsi
    I'm so glad I bumped out of the Strava challenge as I have a life.
    WTF!!
    http://app.strava.com/rides/19214749
  • Dmak
    JGSI wrote:
    WTF!!

18 hours in the saddle. F that.
  • jgsi
    Dmak wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    WTF!!

18 hours in the saddle. F that.

You set some people a challenge and they just take the p1ss.
    I'm just waiting on some German to do the whole feckin' 680 miles in 1 go.
  • How did his Garmin have enough power for that?
  • jgsi
    How did his Garmin have enough power for that?

I could be being unjust
    x35z2.jpg
  • slowbike
    1 Turn the backlight off & display minimal data (ie not maps!)
    2 Chance it
    3 Charge when on a break (1:20 minutes of break)
    4 Charge from portable power device
    5 Use a Solar power charger (similar to 4 above really)

I've got a portable power pack - charges an iPhone 2.5 times before running out (5000mAh) - I could strap that to the bike and power the GPS with it - once that runs out it will carry on on GPS battery. I've not yet ridden for long enough to require that though!
  • slowbike
    JGSI wrote:

I could be being unjust
    x35z2.jpg
    Did you bother looking at the ride? Check out the heart rate & cadence ... takes some work to falsify that ...
    Anyway - Why the hell would anyone drive around Long Island at an average of 17mph taking nearly 18hours to do so?
    Mind you - all they'd need is a USB adapter for the car power socket.